Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who is a better skater: Alena Leonova or Rachel Flatt?

The general public, when watching skaters nowadays, may not so clearly understand which skater is overall better than another. COP is complicated enough that a comparison of any two skaters may lead to a long discussion rather than a quick assessment. Nevertheless, people on this board do have a good feel for what makes one skater better than another and may be able to explain it clearly and succinctly. So let's see how we do with a comparison of the following two skaters: Alena Leonova and Rachael Flatt. Who do you consider a better skater and why? (Note: In answering this question, do not restrict yourself to the last World Championships but consider the way these two women have skated overall over the last two years.)

vCash
    This thread will turn into a "who is the worst ?" very quickly !

vCash
    Leonova would have won a medal at Worlds this year without her one mistake. Flatt is not capable of winning a medal at Worlds even skating her best. So I guess Leonova.

vCash
    Rachael, at her core, is a solid skater. Her technique is a bit weird on a few of her jumps (particularly her lean and rock entrance into her lutz), she lacks speed at times as well, but overall, she's a solid skater. What Rachael lacks is appeal. There's something about her that just doesn't connect with people. I find her a bit boring to watch at times...it's a combination of bad music, choreography, dress, and other factors. She's missing that spark that skaters have that set them apart and make them stand out...

Alena, to me, has decent speed and big jumps. She eerily reminds me of Irina Slutskaya when I watch her skate. There's an energy and personality about her when she's on the ice that makes her fun to watch. OTOH, there isn't a speck of refinement to her movements. There is nothing graceful or elegant about her skating to me. She's a big ball of infectious energy and that is what she plays to in her programs and it works for her...

So, IMO, I think both skaters have their merits. Similarly, both skaters are lacking certain things. If it comes down to a choice of who I'd prefer to watch, I'd have to go with Alena. I kinda hate her style of skating, but I do find her my-head's-on-fire hair, fingernailed gloves and chicken dance spirals entertaining albeit wholly unrefined. For me, Rachael's skating lacks excitement or feeling which, in turn, makes her a bit blah to watch most of the time...

vCash
    Without having compared them live, I'd say they're pretty similar. Either one could beat the other on any given day, depending who's having a better day.

vCash
    Leonova has more entertaining hair.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Leonova is better and a lot more interesting! Flatt completely lost me when she skated to East of Eden and copied Lysacek's cringe-worthy flailing (throw your arms out of their sockets without interpreting the music only to leave your audience saying or wondering WTF?! ) in her footwork sequence.

vCash
    All around, Alena Leonova.

vCash
    Alena Leonova, obviously.

Whilst there are some weaknesses in her skating, she makes up for that with great attack and personality on the ice.

Rachael Flatt just defines bland.

vCash
    I think Alena is overall a better skater but lacks Rachael's usual consistency. Alena's definitely more interesting and her skating skills are probably better. Now that Rachael isn't even as consistent as she used to be, I really have to say it's Alena..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Flatt completely lost me when she skated to East of Eden and copied Lysacek's cringe-worthy flailing (throw your arms out of their sockets without interpreting the music only to leave your audience saying or wondering WTF?! ) in her footwork sequence.
    Her step sequence got a level 4 for doing a Lysacek's cringe-worthy flailing. I'd say it was worth it.

Until last season, only way for skaters to get a level 4 on step sequences was having Lori Nichol put together their own version of Lysacek's cringe-worthy flailing. Just ask Flatt, Kostner, and Chan how they got their level4s and ensuing fat GOE marks.

Thank goodness that the ISU has finally come to realized this and changed rules for level 4 requirements. From next season, skaters will be required to flail through only one-third of their step sequences, not half like they had to until last season.
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 07-15-2011 at 06:44 AM.

vCash
    Perkova or Good Old Reliable Rachael?

Gee, that's a toughie!

Last edited by Vagabond; 07-16-2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Better Video for Perkova

vCash
    I prefer blandness to perkiness, so for me it is Flatt. But it is between apples and oranges, really.

vCash
    To me they both are equally boring skaters, although in a different way. Flatt used to be more consistent, but is she that anymore? She has never been near the podium as Leonova was now (but the Worlds were held in Moscow). Leonova has a better looking body type, but her over-the-top perkiness, awful. Neither of them gives the impression of having true feeling towards the music.

vCash
    Leonova is the better skater in terns of jump technique and basics.

vCash
    Leonova

vCash
    Alena Leonova, she totally entertained me in Moscow. Sure, she was a tat over scored at the time, but who cares!? It wouldn't be the first time skaters been over marked in this sport due to favorable politics, and it is not the skater's fault!

There are different philosophy to performance art and sometimes depends on the theme, it does require a little over the top when you are projecting your performance for the ENTIRE rink right up to the last seat of the rink!

On camera however, yeah - just like filming a theatrical performance at close up, it can come across a little bit unnatural.

Rachel... no comment. The Russian dude next to me was giggling too much, I was severely distracted!

vCash
    They both skate beautiful but Leonova is the better presenter...by a mile.

vCash
    Leonova.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I prefer blandness to perkiness, so for me it is Flatt.
    Ditto!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast