Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Really?? Didn't he come close to Plush with a silver medal at '03 Worlds, skating an SP and LP w/ Quads? Some have argued here on this board that he actually outskated Plush there...
    I was there and thought Tim should have won.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Yes, so did I--but I was on the non-judge side of the rink. Plush's program was entirely judge-centric, so if you were not on the judge's side, he looked far worse than he did from a camera on the judge's side.

In fact, I made a kind of parlor game out of it with my friends-tell me who you think should have won World Men's 2003 and I'll tell you which side of the rink you sat on.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Perhaps. I sat on one of the ends.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    I KNOW!!!! It even kept Evan from winning his world title that year. Terrible decision. Oh and Dick Button sounded like he just wanted to puke at the sight of Tim's short program. wast-o- dollars...
    Did you conveniently forget that Lori Nichol reworked Evan's LP by the time Nationals and Worlds rolled around? And I don't exactly recall Dick Button jumping over his seat with joy at the sight of Tim painfully trying to show us that he had rhythm in that SP either. The program was simply busy. So I take your one and give you 2 X.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Really?? Didn't he come close to Plush with a silver medal at '03 Worlds, skating an SP and LP w/ Quads? Some have argued here on this board that he actually outskated Plush there...
    You're right. I forgot about 2003.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Did you conveniently forget that Lori Nichol reworked Evan's LP by the time Nationals and Worlds rolled around? And I don't exactly recall Dick Button jumping over his seat with joy at the sight of Tim painfully trying to show us that he had rhythm in that SP either. The program was simply busy. So I take your one and give you 2 X.
    Did you conveniently forget that the program didnt look so reworked? oh wait... except the footwork was sluggish and too hard for Evan. He couldnt pull it off. Sorta like his stagnant Olympic one. And since i am 30 I wont subscribe to your petty multiplication of eye roll game. It was cute though

vCash
    Yes, so did I--but I was on the non-judge side of the rink. Plush's program was entirely judge-centric, so if you were not on the judge's side, he looked far worse than he did from a camera on the judge's side.

In fact, I made a kind of parlor game out of it with my friends-tell me who you think should have won World Men's 2003 and I'll tell you which side of the rink you sat on.
    I was there, too-and thought Tim should have won......but I was on the non judge side.....interesting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    After that, it was pretty much down hill, with a brief flurry of excellence, skating his 2005 US Nationals SP in honor of Angela Nikodinov's mother, who had just died in a car wreck in which Angela was injured, and was therefore unable to skate.
    I was never a fan of Tim's skating, but that program, and performance, were really remarkable. I remember just being so taken aback by it all.

If you told me I would be genuinely moved by Tim Geobel's skating, and while skating to Rachmaninoff on top of that, I would said that you were nuts.

I searched a bit but couldn't find it online though. Too bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    I searched a bit but couldn't find it online though. Too bad.
    Tim Goebel 2005 US Nationals SP

vCash
    Tim pretty much lost his quads and his 3A after 2002. He no longer had the weapons that put him head and shoulders above most of his competitors. It wasn't the IJS that did in his career but the lost of his technical abilities.
    But maybe he lost his jumps by practicing a lot more spins and choreography.

vCash
    ^ I recall Tim's meltdown at '04 Nats, which I think was contributed to new skates? But how did Tim perform on the Fall '03 GP circuit? My mind is blank. Did he still execute Quads there?

I don't think though that what happened around '04 has ever been fully explained: FC 'firing' Tim, Tim's jumps going AWOL and Tim never being a US let alone a world frontrunner again.

I do recall JW moving to the forefront in '04 w/o Quads. Maybe that caused Tim to decide to put the emphasis on other things besides Jumps, which resulted in his jumps regressing??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    But maybe he lost his jumps by practicing a lot more spins and choreography.
    I vaguely recall a print interview with Tim where he said that practicing all the other elements and the change edge moves needed for IJS was taking away from his quad practices. Sorry, don't have a link.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Thank you!
    I'd forgotten how good that was; and how moving,
    I hadn't seen it since I was in the arena that evening.

vCash
    That was great! 2005 SP.

I particularly like the opening F/W.

Frank dumped the injured (hip, neck, back) Tim for Evan as the better shot for Frank coaching an Olympic Gold Medallist.

It is not surprising that Frank then dumped on Tim in a number of ways. When one of Frank's top students doesn't do well, he seems very willing to publicly criticize them personally, as he did Mirai after nationals. It seems that above all, it is never Frank's fault. To prove that, it must be shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that the skater had bad work habits/personal habits in some way.

vCash
    I don't know Frank or his coaching style, but I highly doubt he's the type of coach that dump a student simply because the once-promising student is no longer the hot thing. If that was the case then he would've dumped Bebe a long, long time ago, and he certainly wouldn't have had the good reputations among his peers that he has enjoyed all these years.

vCash
    From my understanding, there was a lot going on with Tim off ice that was never publicized. I wouldn't put much of the blame on Frank.

I thought Plush winning was the right decision. I was in nosebleed, non-judging side. Tim's hunched shoulders were evident even from there.

vCash
    Thanks for posting the link pollyanna.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    From my understanding, there was a lot going on with Tim off ice that was never publicized. I wouldn't put much of the blame on Frank.
    This is what I heard too, and if it was true Frank Carroll was justified in that decision.

vCash
    I don't know Frank or his coaching style, but I highly doubt he's the type of coach that dump a student simply because the once-promising student is no longer the hot thing. If that was the case then he would've dumped Bebe a long, long time ago, and he certainly wouldn't have had the good reputations among his peers that he has enjoyed all these years.
    I think he did. I seem to remember her with Ken Comegy alot, not him.

vCash
    Yes, that's how I remember it-Ken Congemi, innit?

vCash
    Yeah, Frank did not fire him because he wasn't winning or for reasons of ego.

Frank never dumped Bebe. Ken Congemi and Frank both worked with her.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12