Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    My compilation list of the current known status of US dance teams from 2011 Nationals:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=226
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-22-2011 at 10:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Not entirely analogous as G&P retired due to injury.
    It's not completely analogous, but I'm sure G&P's decision was influenced by where they were in the Olympics cycle. I was just pointing out that this is a common time for turmoil. I also think that it affecting higher-level teams a bit more because U.S. ice dance has risen internationally.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    This also is a common time for teams to split up or retire. The first year after the Olympics is an assessment year, as teams deal with the post-Olympics landscape and see how they are viewed in the eyes of the judges. At that point, skaters have a sense of whether their current pairings will succeed or whether they need to make changes. Doing that gives them one year to get their bearings with a new partner, one year to make an impression in front of the judges, and one final season of grand prix events before the next Olympics.
    Not to mention that the post-Olympics buzz is gone, and the reality of day-in-day-out/$$$ for the next three years is staring them in the face.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    what a hell is happening

So Paul and Emely beatiful lines

vCash
    Curious to see if a Chock/Bates partnership is in the work.
    Chock is way too short for Bates. Mutt and Jeff may work in pairs, but dancers need to have better matching lines. Now if Charlie White is needing a new partner ... (Just kidding. Smack me.)

Of the other recently single dancers, Hubbell would be a better choice for Evan, though still not as strong as Emily. IMO there is something to this story we aren't seeing. Like say, has Evan started dating another ice dancer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Of the other recently single dancers, Hubbell would be a better choice for Evan, though still not as strong as Emily. IMO there is something to this story we aren't seeing. Like say, has Evan started dating another ice dancer?
    For some reason I thought he was dating Bereswill, but that could be totally wrong.

vCash
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DustPuppyOI View Post
    I haz a sad. Though there free dances weren't usually my favourites but their lines, flexibility and pointed toes were second to none. I really loved their 2008-2009 OD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNTFc65l_s
    Here's a higher quality clip of that performance. The Brit EuroSport guys loved them.

But I agree with you that that OD(and that particular performance of it) was by far the best thing they had done in their short careers and it really showed what potential they had, given the right choreography and music. None of the top teams skated their OD's particularly well that year except for B&A, but their program itself was pretty weak, so I really felt that S&B stole the show and had the "performance" of the OD event at worlds.

It's really a shame they split. They had some of the nicest lines and best unison already and their potential seemed almost limitless.
    Chock is way too short for Bates. Mutt and Jeff may work in pairs, but dancers need to have better matching lines.
    Not really. You need a decent size difference now so the man can hurl the girl around for Level 4 lifts and the high PCS that go along with it. I actually think that's part of why we're seeing some of these splits. It's just teams accepting the fact that they will never be able to do certain elements as well as other better matched teams. So, it's better to start over with someone who is a stronger physical match than continue plugging away at something that's not going to work.
    Of the other recently single dancers, Hubbell would be a better choice for Evan
    Oh god no. Evan may be tall, but he's also a bean pole. It would not NOT work out well. Girl Hubbell needs someone as tall as Evan but with the build of a line backer if she's going to be a COP ice dancer.

Who would have thought looking at this photo that Gorshkova and Butikov would be the last ones standing.

vCash
    I really liked them and they certainly hadn't reached their potential as a team. Shame that they are pulling the pin on the partnership.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Hmmm... not so sure. Cannuscio and Lorello had higher scores that Lichtman and Copely last season... Wingle and McKernan are working very hard to make a push this season. If Chock and Bates are together, then they will be a factor for pewter this season, I would imagine.
    I initially did a top three. Then I remembered US Nationals has a pewter medal, and just tossed a team on that I remembered. I'm comfortable with that top three, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    At this rate, the single skaters will start splitting with themselves...
    Nope, they just change coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Here's a higher quality clip of that performance. The Brit EuroSport guys loved them.
    "a team for the future," they said. :

I've gotten sadder and sadder about this over the course of the day. Emily and Evan had a great sense of FUN, which is the thing I loved most about them. They even sold me on their cowboy/country music OD, and I despise country music. Their FDs left something to be desired--they never seemed to fit them just right and were often generic and the music was hideous--and I was really looking forward to seeing what Zoueva/Shpilband could do for them in terms of FDs (and the American in Paris program sounded like a step in the right direction).

But we'll probably never know the whole story. There are SO many factors that go into making a pairs or dance team happen (parents [at least for younger skaters], finances, the skaters themselves, boyfriends/girlfriends, conflicting or matching goals, drive, competitiveness, other hobbies or schooling) that it's a wonder teams like Del/Schoes or V/M or D/W have lasted so long. They definitely defy the odds.

vCash
    The fact that so many pairs and dance teams have broken up this offseason sucks. But Samuelson/Bates breaking up sucks worse.

vCash
    Maybe Evan can try to partner with Becky since they're dating anyways... Becky said awhile ago that she wanted to try ice dancing this season although she's now focusing on singles.. but could change? who knows..... Becky has the beautiful long lines to match evan too..

vCash
    It is officially the Age of
    "Instant Gratification"

vCash
    i thought they had such a fresh look to their programs- i just loved her line and they seemed to be well suited to my untrained eye
    I am sorry to hear they spilt- man I am scared to come here each day and see who has spilt next.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsskate View Post
    Maybe Evan can try to partner with Becky since they're dating anyways... Becky said awhile ago that she wanted to try ice dancing this season although she's now focusing on singles.. but could change? who knows..... Becky has the beautiful long lines to match evan too..
    I hope that's not the case. Becky's skating skills are fairly weak for a senior lady (lack of speed, depth of edge, power generated from stroking); I imagine those flaws would only be magnified in ice dance.

vCash
    And so the rumors are true...shame, shame.

I am happy, however, for Lynn and Logan, who have moved into world team position by doing absolutely nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

I am happy, however, for Lynn and Logan, who have moved into world team position by doing absolutely nothing.
    Staying together....

that seems to be the 'element' that challenges the USA pairs and dance teams more than anything else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

Not being snarky, but they do seem like a hard working couple. Like to see some outsiders challenge for a change! I am nothing but happy for them!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast