vCash

Australians, iphone 4, and Skype?

My uncle just purchased his first cell phone ever (he's in his mid-60's and kinda scared of technology so give him a break please ) It's the iphone 4 and he's all excited to use it. He's my fave uncle and he and I can chat for-e-ver but considering I'm in Cali, that would be a pretty big bill. It would be great to have him to the phone while skating comps are on because he LOVES skating as much as me! I use skype to call his land line but I'm wondering if he can download skype on his cell and we'd be able to chat for a much cheaper rate? I have a Droid and I have no idea how iphones work. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated!

vCash
    I don't have an iphone but I am pretty sure he can get a Skype application for it to use on it. Which will apply to Australia.

Where does he live here?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    he's in Brisbane. I hope he can get Skype!

vCash
    myhoneyhoney - yep, he can. I have an Australian iPhone 4, which has a Chinese SIM at the moment. I have my Aussie SIM card cut and ready for when I am home in a week Skype works well China-Australia and within China using both Edge and WiFi and using both Skype to phone number and Skype to Skype calls. I am yet to try within Australia and Australia-China, but I don't think it will be a problem.

vCash
    Thank you, Angelskates! So if he get the Skype Mobile app he can use that to call MY Skype account for free or does he have to purchase a subscription?
    Last edited by myhoneyhoney; 06-22-2011 at 06:04 AM.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Found this thread: if he has Skype Mobile and you have Skype (regular or mobile) he should be able to call you for free if both of you are logged on to Skype at the same time. Worked well for me on my US iPhone when I was traveling in Australia recently.

Also, for you Aussies and anyone who follows AFL - here's a new vBet!
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79665

vCash
    Did you have a good time in Australia? Do you like Aussie Rules?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.