Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Japan Open

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Holy freholy, that was bad. I'll edit the post promptly.

I apologize.
    Thank you.

vCash
    Is it on youtube? Can you provide the link? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Patrick's new FS programs just gave me chills even though it wasn't his best jumpwise. His falls didn't bother me at all. He gets up so quickly and goes right back to the program. His 4-3, steps, and spins were amazing as usual. Aranjues is kind of overused music but after seeing it, I could understand why he and Lori has chosen it. It's the kind of music that brings out his emotions and complements the great qualities he has. If the five components means presentation, interpretation, skating skills, choreo, and skating skills, I'd say it was all there. Patrick was in his own league. I even saw some improvements from the last season. Such an amazing guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    Is it on youtube? Can you provide the link? Thanks.
    No, I've actually went to see the show. It was broadcasted on Tokyo TV yesterday so I believe there would be somewhere soon.

vCash
    aaron, thanks. I hope his and the other competitors' programmes will turn up on youtube soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepypanda View Post
    Daisuke's FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbOlKmEiY1U

I bet the others will start popping up soon too.
    Thanks for posting! Love the music choice and Dai's beautiful interpretation. Dai has such desire for growth, and willingness to try something different. Talk about ability to feel and skate to the music... Hope he works out the kinks in his jumps as the season progresses.

Dai's music choice (jazz) does remind me somewhat of Tomas Verner's 2008 sp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnwC2kBaESQ

Chan is a wonderfully talented and accomplished skater with edges and judges' marks to die for, fans and apologists aplenty. I will look forward to seeing his Aranjuez skate, but when I hear that music, images of the Kween will definitely come to mind. I doubt that Chan's skate will erase those images. Why does Lori constantly use music for other skaters originally choreographed for Kwan? Is it an effort to conjure a similar magic?

Falls are clearly disruptive (some more than others, of course), and some skaters clearly will be marked down heavily for falls no matter their SS and high level of other elements. Chan, not so much apparently, at least early in the skating season he hasn't been -- not yet so far for the last two seasons. Are the judges blinded by his quads and magical edges, or are they simply under the influence of "massive amounts of weed." Forgive me for this addle-brained but apt reference taken from another thread.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 10-02-2011 at 03:05 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    But seriously, I suspect in preparation for the Japanese Open, Patrick has indeed been neglecting his usual training having been addicted to the Japanese Anime series full of kawaii girls shown on his video.

According to twitter, Patrick's scheduled flight to Japan was canceled, and I heard he rumor that he had to wait for the next day at the connecting airport. I won't blame him if he does not train but soaked himself in the anime while he is stranded in the airport .

vCash
    Pictures:
    http://dethspiralz.tumblr.com/post/1...ohtheseskaters

I think Miki's costume would be pretty without the sleeves. I like Tuktamysheva's.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Banned Member
    vCash
    Three falls and won. Again.

That's disgusting.

ISU is disgusting.

vCash
    This isn't sanctioned by the ISU though.

Can't blame Speedy for everything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    I blame her mother. Should have pushed harder.
    Had she known that Adelina would take up figure skating and that the extra day would make a difference, she may have been minded to use forceps!
    Last edited by Maofan7; 10-02-2011 at 04:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

Why not? I bet he enjoys taking credit when its not due, and basks in the glow of his esteemed position, while siphoning off revenue to speedskating that was earned by figure skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Chan is a wonderfully talented and accomplished skater with edges and judges' marks to die for, fans and apologists aplenty. I will look forward to seeing his Aranjuez skate, but when I hear that music, images of the Kween will definitely come to mind. I doubt that Chan's skate will erase those images. Why does Lori constantly use music for other skaters originally choreographed for Kwan? Is it an effort to conjure a similar magic?
    A lot of skaters use the same music and the Kween doesn't own them. I don't even remember Kwan's Aranjuez and associate the music with Takeshi Honda (2002 Olympics), it's one of my favourite programs.

It's best to be open to different interpretations of music. A person may have a bias in that the music is associated with a certain skater or programs, and that becomes the standard for the music. Even so, other skaters can use the same music uniquely or brilliantly. I always associate Turandot with Shen and Zhao, but was blown away by Arakawa when she skated to it. Likewise, Shen and Zhao interpreted 'Meditation from Thais' beautifully. It was signature piece for B&S but S/Z didn't even remember that B&S had skated to it. Their interpretation was uniquely their own.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 10-02-2011 at 10:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Skater A is not judged on how well he/she skated from event A in comparison to how he/she did in event B. Skater A is being judged in comparison to how skaters B, C, D, E, F, G, H, and I skated in said event. It appears that PCS tend to build for a skater based on their maturity, experience, whether they have a World/Olympic medal, and if momentum is in their favor.
    Well, technically, under the IJS skater A should be judged in comparison to each judge's mental image of 8.0 or 9.0 or whatever PCS they're thinking of giving, and ideally all the judges should have similar ideas of the level of skating that each of those scores represents.

In practice, of course, there's plenty of variation for various reasons.

But it's not like 6.0 where later skaters' scores were specifically given to be higher or lower than those of the previous skaters in the event, where the point of the judges' job was to rank the skaters against each other.

Now they're just supposed to score the skating against a standard.

But in either case they can't score the skater against the skater's previous performances. In most cases they won't have judged those previous performances and won't remember exactly how the skater skated* even if they did see the performance.

*And what jumps the skater landed or how many mistakes they made are only a tiny part of what they're judging.

Well, it's not run by the ISU like Worlds, etc., but it is certainly sanctioned by them, or else all the participants would lose eligibility.

vCash
    Kween does "own" Aranjuez in her iconic skates in 2003. Skaters can skate to whatever music they wish to skate to, and many have used the same music and owned it by their own unique interpretations. Otonal by Butryskaya and Weir comes immediately to mind, also Dr. Zhivago and The Swan, skated by Weir and later by Alissa C. If you can borrow and/ or be inspired by another skater's style and/or music, but make it completely your own with your own brand of magic, kudos!

As I said, I will be interested to see Chan's interpretation. And still, I ask the question, "Why does Lori tend to use the same music originally choreographed for Kwan?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Pictures:
    http://dethspiralz.tumblr.com/post/1...ohtheseskaters

I think Miki's costume would be pretty without the sleeves. I like Tuktamysheva's.
    I like Liza's dress too, but looking at that picture, she is still sooo tiny. Her ISU bio listing her as 156 cm is clearly WAY off because she's barely over Miki's shoulder and Miki isn't even tall for a skater. I worry about Liza losing her jumps when she grows because she will eventually and clearly hasn't yet. Even if she stays small I doubt she stays THIS small. That's awesome she won though and hope she can take the puberty monster in stride

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Not sure what you mean by "sanctioned" in this context, but the Japan Open uses ISU officials (including an international technical panel and judges) and this event is listed on the ISU's calendar.

ETA: This news video includes some clips from Takahiko Kozuka's Japan Open FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x9IQfLxkdY
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-02-2011 at 05:02 AM.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "sanctioned" in this context, but the Japan Open uses ISU officials (including an international technical panel and judges) and this event is listed on the ISU's calendar.

ETA: This news video includes some clips from Takahiko Kozuka's Japan Open FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x9IQfLxkdY
    Wow, I can't wait to see this. Looks amazing

And Takahashi... what can I say. This LP is a MONSTER! When he skates it clean, it'll be legendary.

vCash

Or had a c-section

vCash
    Skating has enough pushy mothers already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Kween does "own" Aranjuez in her iconic skates in 2003.
    She doesn't own it. You can say it was a signature piece and you can even she 'owned' the music when she performed it. But the music does not belong to her. It doesn't matter whether or not her skates to the music were iconic. I don't think even remember those performances as I'm not a huge Kween fan. For me the music is associated with Honda.

Whether another skater will also create a signature or iconic piece from the music is another matter. But it certainly does happen that different skaters are remembered for the same pieces of music. There have been quite a few signature Carmens.

If you can borrow and/ or be inspired by another skater's style and/or music, but make it completely your own with your own brand of magic, kudos!
    You don't need to borrow or be inspired by other skaters who use the same music - the inspiration can be internal and a personal response to or resonance with the music. As I pointed out earlier, S/Z weren't even aware that B/S had skated to Meditation, or didn't remember.

Also, coaches often pick the music and as we all know, the same music is used over and over again, and then some. I expect skaters most often do not review the performances that have in done in the past to the music they are using.

As I said, I will be interested to see Chan's interpretation. And still, I ask the question, "Why does Lori tend to use the same music originally choreographed for Kwan?"
    Because the Kween is not the center of the universe and everything in FS does not revolve around her. It's simple: Lori likes the music and thought it might work for Patrick, and Patrick agreed.

When you say "originally choreographed for Kwan" you suggest that she was the first to skate to it - which I doubt - and imply that Lori is using her choreography for Michelle in Patrick's program. I'm quite sure her choreography for Patrick's program will also be original.

Honda and other have also skated to Aranjuez. More skaters will use the music in future. It's a popular piece of music, that's why Lori and others use it. And each time it's choreographed, it is original. Yes, skaters do borrow choreography from time to time. But usually, original choreography is the goal - especially for the top skaters. Even if copying was the goal, one skater's choreography very often wouldn't work for another.

Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast