View Poll Results: July 2011 New To Theatres - What Looks Good To You?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • July 1st - Larry Crowne (comedy with Tom Hanks & Julia Roberts)

11 15.49%
  • July 1st – Transformers: Dark of the Moon (sci-fi with Shia LaBeouf & Rosie Huntington-Whiteley)

9 12.68%
  • July 8th – The Ledge (dramatic thriller with Patrick Wilson, Liv Tyler & Terrence Howard)

2 2.82%
  • July 8th – Horrible Bosses (comedy with Jason Bateman, Jennifer Aniston & Jamie Foxx)

11 15.49%
  • July 15th – Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (history-based drama with Bingbing Li & Hugh Jackman)

10 14.08%
  • July 15th – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Two (adventure with a bunch of nobodies)

43 60.56%
  • July 22nd - Another Earth (science-fiction with William Mapother & Brit Marling)

6 8.45%
  • July 22nd – Captain America: The First Avenger (adventure with Chris Evans & Tommy Lee Jones)

20 28.17%
  • July 22nd – Friends with Benefits (romantic comedy with Justin Timberlake & Mila Kunis)

7 9.86%
  • July 29th - The Devil's Double (action with Dominic Cooper & Ludivine Sagnier)

1 1.41%
  • July 29th - Cowboys & Aliens (science-fiction with Daniel Craig & Harrison Ford)

22 30.99%
  • July 29th – Crazy, Stupid, Love (comedy with Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling & Julianne Moore)

20 28.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    TCM is showing The Hunchback of Notre Dame right now. Charles Laughton is the definitive Quasimodo. Amazing make-up job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mpal2 View Post
    I'm trying to decide if I like the movie Sin City. I love the black and white film with the little hints of color now and then. I know that yellow and green are usually used on the really sick freaks. The heroes usually have red. I can't remember where blue comes in.

I don't really like the story itself though. Does anyone know of any other films that have used the style of filming for less violent stories? All the blood and guts gets to be a bit much after a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Definitely the most vile movie of this millenium.

:barf:
    I found it interesting-looking, if anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I found it interesting-looking, if anything.
    That's my feeling on it. I wish more films had this look. I'm thinking that a Hitchcock movie would have looked great if it was shot in this style. I would love to see Rebecca filmed this way. There are so many nuances you could play with.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I agree that Sin City was a beautifully filmed movie. But the whole premise, the characters and the story...yuck. I remember looking at my friend in the middle of the movie and I knew we were both thinking, "what have we got ourselves into"???
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    WOw I havent post in FSU for long time but here it is:
    I usually try to see one movie each night. I prefer seeing movies on my pc rather than cinema and tv. well this week I saw All About Eve and I completely awwwed, I had heard that this is a great movie but still I didnt expect this. It was just perfect. Bette Davis was goddess and Anne Baxter acting was superb. Actually everyone was good. I love oldies .
    From this time, I saw TRON Legacy and surprisingly i like it. Though I wish there was more TRON character in it. But in its own genre it was good movie.

vCash
    Congrats, Icewalker! Glad you liked it. See Sunset Boulevard, if you haven't already. They both came out in the same year.

vCash
    Definitely the most vile movie [Sin City] of this millenium.

:barf:
    No, that would be the Human Centipede and its sequel. Haven't seen either but reading about them gave me the heebie jeebie. The second film is supposedly so disgustingly vile that it's banned in Britain.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I watched The Human Centipede. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

We watched Beastly last night. Horrible, awful, terrible movie. The acting was about on par with my 7th grade play. The dialogue was just, I don't know the name for it. It is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast so they were working with a good story. It shouldn't have been so hard.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    That's my feeling on it. I wish more films had this look. I'm thinking that a Hitchcock movie would have looked great if it was shot in this style. I would love to see Rebecca filmed this way. There are so many nuances you could play with.
    I loved the 1940 film. I can watch it over and over again. I do know they did a PBS version back in the 90s, but a theatrical release would be great. Get Emma Watson to portray the second Mrs. DeWinter.

Sometimes, when I am alone, I walk through my building like Mrs. Danvers, listening for Rebecca's, quick, light step .

I agree that Sin City was a beautifully filmed movie. But the whole premise, the characters and the story...yuck. I remember looking at my friend in the middle of the movie and I knew we were both thinking, "what have we got ourselves into"???
    And truth be told, although he's a guilty pleasure of mine, Josh Hartnett does NOT belong in this movie. They may as well have put Pat Boone in it.

vCash
    I must be on a Brit kick: Just finished the third of the Red Riding: In the Year of Our Lord series on Netflix. Good stuff but dark and I hope the heck it wasn't a true story about a serial killer and police corruption.

vCash
    I have just returned from a marathon movie night that included such high-brow fare as Blubberela (half human, half vampire, and a little Jewish). She fights Nazis, eats a lot, and slutterizes. It's so bad, it's fabulous. Then there was Hobo with a Shotgun. Which is pretty indicative of how the movie is. It begins with a guy being strangled by a cardboard manhole cover, and goes downhill from there. Unlike Blubberella, this movie has no redeeming value. And you know it's bad when it loses to a movie called Blubberella.

Then we watched the worst movie of all. Yes, yes, a Kevin Costner movie was kicked off my "worst ten movies of all time" to make room for The Green Lantern. Not even the fact that I recognized over half the shots filmed in New Orleans-cum-California made up for it. Ryan Reynolds wasn't shirtless nearly enough to make up for this shite. And it turns out that Blake Lively as a brunette is still Blake Lively.

For some reason though we ended up watching Source Code. This was a definite downer as it was a genuinely good movie. I'm still not sure how we ended up watching it. After all the horrors we saw, it was a major letdown to see a great movie with real actors acting and a script and everything. I will even go so far as to say that Source Code is the movie Inception should have been.

I walked out of Sin City. I went on a full-scale feminist rant about that movie on ye ole LiveJournal. Dead hooker heads on the wall was my limit.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have heard about Blubberela! I want to see it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I loved the 1940 film. I can watch it over and over again.

Sometimes, when I am alone, I walk through my building like Mrs. Danvers, listening for Rebecca's, quick, light step
    I love it too. In fact I really need to watch it again after talking about it. I pulled out the book from my shelves and started reading it because I need my fix now.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Then we watched the worst movie of all. Yes, yes, a Kevin Costner movie was kicked off my "worst ten movies of all time" to make room for The Green Lantern. Not even the fact that I recognized over half the shots filmed in New Orleans-cum-California made up for it. Ryan Reynolds wasn't shirtless nearly enough to make up for this shite. And it turns out that Blake Lively as a brunette is still Blake Lively.
    I've never liked Reynolds myself. I think he's a very limited actor and not as hot as he is made out to be. To me, he seems to play the same character in every movie. I even thought he'd be different in The Nines, but what a pretentious POS that was.

I love it too. In fact I really need to watch it again after talking about it. I pulled out the book from my shelves and started reading it because I need my fix now.
    It's a film with great atmosphere, even if Selznick placed his glossy thumbprint over the final product. Joan Fontaine was marvelous in this as the young wife; If I talk about it anymore, I'll go into my favorite rant of how she should have won Best Actress that year instead of Ginger Rogers for the mediocre Kitty Foyle.

vCash
    If I talk about it anymore, I'll go into my favorite rant of how she should have won Best Actress that year instead of Ginger Rogers for the mediocre Kitty Foyle.
    Rant away. She really did deserve Best Actress.

vCash
    I am a late comer to this thread. Looks like mostly comedies and sci fi. Neither genre interests me. I picked the one based on history and the comedy with Tom Hanks, only because it has TH in it. From what I heard the initial reviews are not good.

I saw the trailer of Cowboys and Aliens and it did not interest me. I am just not a special effects person (there are a few exceptions though). I never got interested in Harry Potter.

vCash
    How did Ginger Rogers beat anyone that year. Davis was divine in The Letter, Joan Fontaine was great in Rebecca and Katherine Hepburn was also good in The Philadelphia Story. I'll admit to not having a clue about Martha Scott or Out Town.

vCash
    Rant away. She really did deserve Best Actress.
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    How did Ginger Rogers beat anyone that year. Davis was divine in The Letter, Joan Fontaine was great in Rebecca and Katherine Hepburn was also good in The Philadelphia Story. I'll admit to not having a clue about Martha Scott or Out Town.
    Fontaine was marvelous - and even better than she was for the role she won the Oscar for the following year - Suspicion. It was a consolation prize, for real. And all of those other actresses were better than Ginger Rogers, whom I never liked in dramatic roles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Not to mention that Kitty Foyle was an awful movie. Just that second-person narration alone was enough to make me want to throw things.

I'd have given that Oscar to either Kate or Bette -- probably Kate. Joan was good, but not quite as good as they were that year, I think.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Transformers made $372,125,000 over the independance day weekend. Not bad at all and as an added bonus, since the movie cost $195,000,000 to make, Transformers 3 have made a tidy profit already. My movie loving heart was extremely gladdened by this bit of news.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast