View Poll Results: July 2011 New To Theatres - What Looks Good To You?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • July 1st - Larry Crowne (comedy with Tom Hanks & Julia Roberts)

11 15.49%
  • July 1st – Transformers: Dark of the Moon (sci-fi with Shia LaBeouf & Rosie Huntington-Whiteley)

9 12.68%
  • July 8th – The Ledge (dramatic thriller with Patrick Wilson, Liv Tyler & Terrence Howard)

2 2.82%
  • July 8th – Horrible Bosses (comedy with Jason Bateman, Jennifer Aniston & Jamie Foxx)

11 15.49%
  • July 15th – Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (history-based drama with Bingbing Li & Hugh Jackman)

10 14.08%
  • July 15th – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Two (adventure with a bunch of nobodies)

43 60.56%
  • July 22nd - Another Earth (science-fiction with William Mapother & Brit Marling)

6 8.45%
  • July 22nd – Captain America: The First Avenger (adventure with Chris Evans & Tommy Lee Jones)

20 28.17%
  • July 22nd – Friends with Benefits (romantic comedy with Justin Timberlake & Mila Kunis)

7 9.86%
  • July 29th - The Devil's Double (action with Dominic Cooper & Ludivine Sagnier)

1 1.41%
  • July 29th - Cowboys & Aliens (science-fiction with Daniel Craig & Harrison Ford)

22 30.99%
  • July 29th – Crazy, Stupid, Love (comedy with Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling & Julianne Moore)

20 28.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    LOL @ Peter! Next week is the long weekend here in Canada and Transformers 3 will be opening with me in the front of the lineup! hehehehe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Yeah, but the movies were better. I know that's a generalization, and I know there are good movies now, but it seems to me that the ratio of good movies to crap was significantly larger then. (If "larger" is the word I want. Math is not my strong suit. )
    That is true. I need to dive back into my "classics" collection (one of these days).

vCash
    Just noticed that TCM is showing one of my all-time favorite romantic comedies tonight at 8: I Know Where I'm Going, with Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey. Check it out if you haven't seen it before.

vCash
    I am going to see Transformers 3 today and will let you all know how it went when I get back! hehehe

vCash
    Mr. Overedge and I saw a really nice documentary this weekend: Don't You Forget About Me. Made by four Canadian independent filmmakers who go on a road trip to find John Hughes and tell him how much they loved his movies. Their trip is intercut with interviews with a lot of the actors and production staff who were in Hughes' films, talking about their experiences, and also interviews with some high school students who talk about how relevant the films are to them even though they weren't even born when the films were made. I think anyone who liked Hughes' movies would totally enjoy this film.

It's on Shaw Video on Demand, for those Canuckistanis who have Shaw cable service.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    John Hughes is dead, right? Or am I way off here?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    John Hughes is dead, right? Or am I way off here?
    He died almost two years ago.
    Personally, I was not a huge fan of his films.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Yeah, but the movies were better. I know that's a generalization, and I know there are good movies now, but it seems to me that the ratio of good movies to crap was significantly larger then. (If "larger" is the word I want. Math is not my strong suit. )

Joe Gillis: You're Norma Desmond. You used to be in silent pictures. You used to be big.
    Norma Desmond: I *am* big. It's the *pictures* that got small.

One of the best, ever!

vCash
    Tranformes 3 was really good, and I would say it is as good as the first. There is nothing much else to say except that for an action movie it does not disappoint but do not look for too much of a story line. Also it is really long so make sure and go to the bathroom before it starts!

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post

John Hughes' movies absolutely defined my generation in film, not to mention he completely revitalized the concept of "teen movies." For a grown man, he was extremely adept at being able to tap into the angst of being an adolescent while at the same time infusing humor into many of the situations that at the time made many want to crawl into a corner and die (so to speak).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

John Hughes' movies absolutely defined my generation in film, not to mention he completely revitalized the concept of "teen movies." For a grown man, he was extremely adept at being able to tap into the angst of being an adolescent while at the same time infusing humor into many of the situations that at the time made many want to crawl into a corner and die (so to speak).

They didn't have the same effect on me, I'm sorry.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash

They didn't have the same effect on me, I'm sorry.
    ((((Rex))))

I still luvs ya, babe.

I was a 16 year-old in 1983 who until summer before Junior year looked/dressed a lot like "Breakfast Club" Molly Ringwald but inside was a lot more like BC Ally Sheedy/Judd Nelson, so his movies really hit the "right" nerve in a lot of ways. By summer of 1984, that fashion don't was rectified .

Plus, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is easily one of my favorite comedy movies of all time - it's a Thanksgiving tradition in our family . Incidentally, Steve Martin said that it was his favorite movie that he's done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    ((((Rex))))

I still luvs ya, babe.

I was a 16 year-old in 1983 who until summer before Junior year looked/dressed a lot like "Breakfast Club" Molly Ringwald but inside was a lot more like BC Ally Sheedy/Judd Nelson, so his movies really hit the "right" nerve in a lot of ways. By summer of 1984, that fashion don't was rectified .

Plus, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is easily one of my favorite comedy movies of all time - it's a Thanksgiving tradition in our family . Incidentally, Steve Martin said that it was his favorite movie that he's done.
    Glad you still lurve me - I was considering moving to Argentina till the blew over .
    The latter film was John Hughes? I actually kinda liked that one. But then I loved John Candy.

vCash
    Not surprising, coming from a mouse killer. ( ...sorry, it had been a while since it had been brought up)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Not surprising, coming from a mouse killer. ( ...sorry, it had been a while since it had been brought up)
    Now, that wasn't very mice of you!!!!
    I actually preferred St. Elmo's Fire for my Brat Pack fix.
    Last edited by Rex; 06-30-2011 at 03:14 PM.

vCash
    St. Elmo's Fire? Eeek I watched that and it was so slow and so boring. Just boring. I tried and tried to like it but couldn't help yawning throughout that film. Though in saying that last year I watched The Breakfast Club and found myself bored there as well when previously that film use to get me going

vCash
    But the theme song for St. Elmo's Fire is one of my favourite movie songs of all time.

vCash
    I'm trying to decide if I like the movie Sin City. I love the black and white film with the little hints of color now and then. I know that yellow and green are usually used on the really sick freaks. The heroes usually have red. I can't remember where blue comes in.

I don't really like the story itself though. Does anyone know of any other films that have used the style of filming for less violent stories? All the blood and guts gets to be a bit much after a while.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Just watched a documentary, comedy...maybe a mockumentary called "The Trip" on Demand. I don't know a lot about Steve Coogan and Rob Bryden but I laughed a lot and actually felt a bit sorry for Coogan if he really does feel like his career has stalled.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mpal2 View Post
    I'm trying to decide if I like the movie Sin City.
    Definitely the most vile movie of this millenium.

:barf:
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast