View Poll Results: July 2011 New To Theatres - What Looks Good To You?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • July 1st - Larry Crowne (comedy with Tom Hanks & Julia Roberts)

11 15.49%
  • July 1st – Transformers: Dark of the Moon (sci-fi with Shia LaBeouf & Rosie Huntington-Whiteley)

9 12.68%
  • July 8th – The Ledge (dramatic thriller with Patrick Wilson, Liv Tyler & Terrence Howard)

2 2.82%
  • July 8th – Horrible Bosses (comedy with Jason Bateman, Jennifer Aniston & Jamie Foxx)

11 15.49%
  • July 15th – Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (history-based drama with Bingbing Li & Hugh Jackman)

10 14.08%
  • July 15th – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Two (adventure with a bunch of nobodies)

43 60.56%
  • July 22nd - Another Earth (science-fiction with William Mapother & Brit Marling)

6 8.45%
  • July 22nd – Captain America: The First Avenger (adventure with Chris Evans & Tommy Lee Jones)

20 28.17%
  • July 22nd – Friends with Benefits (romantic comedy with Justin Timberlake & Mila Kunis)

7 9.86%
  • July 29th - The Devil's Double (action with Dominic Cooper & Ludivine Sagnier)

1 1.41%
  • July 29th - Cowboys & Aliens (science-fiction with Daniel Craig & Harrison Ford)

22 30.99%
  • July 29th – Crazy, Stupid, Love (comedy with Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling & Julianne Moore)

20 28.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    This thread makes me miss old Hollywood and I'm only in my twenties.
    Now you sound like me. I've got a whole pile of VHS tapes from when I was taping movies off of AMC and TCM, that I like to delve into from time to time.

Don't get too starry eyed though. Old Hollywood had its trashy moments (with the stars' personal lives) just like today. I laugh when people talk about the "good old days" as if everybody was perfectly behaved because, in reality, society had the same kind of shit going on then that it does now, it's just more out in the open now. Difference back then was that, when you were "under contract" with a studio, you had a publicity dept. to cover everything up if you were a star who got into trouble, unlike now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I laugh when people talk about the "good old days" as if everybody was perfectly behaved because, in reality, society had the same kind of shit going on then that it does now, it's just more out in the open now. Difference back then was that, when you were "under contract" with a studio, you had a publicity dept. to cover everything up if you were a star who got into trouble, unlike now.
    And studios have publicity departments now that do exactly the same thing. And even more, like inviting reporters on trips to exotic places to see advance screenings of new films and to interview the stars. And if the reporter's review is bad and/or the reporter asks the star an embarrassing question, they will never get invited on one of those trips again - which is how so many crap movies end up getting great reviews and lots of publicity about how much the star enjoyed making the movie.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So you've had time to watch the trailers for the selections in the poll, I was surprised that some unknown titles would grab my interest so much and a few popular titles would disappoint so greatly. Here's my rankings based on interest (due mostly to the trailers):

1. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

This looks like it could be incredibly wondrous and deserving of many Academy Awards. But the academy members have short memories and rarely remember movies that were released so far in the past (like six months ago...)

2. Another Earth

Fascinating concept. Could be a wondrous sleeper for summer viewing.

3. Crazy, Stupid, Love

This looks to be successful as both a comedy and a drama. Julianne Moore's always a pleasure to watch on screen and Ryan Gosling is SMOKING hot in this trailer! Dude's been working OUT. Love Emma Stone's quip about that at the end of the trailer!

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Two

Normally I'd put this higher on the list, but part one was just so daaaaark. So I'm expecting more for the conclusion. Wondering how this finale will do with Academy Award nominations. The Lord of the Rings was overlooked for part two, then got quite a few nominations with the final installment. I think the Harry Potter movies have received far too few nominations over the years. There should have been a supporting acting nod for at least somebody for each film. I'm thinking Ralph Fiennes should get a nod for sure. Who would you nominate?

5. Cowboys & Aliens

I have a thing for cowboys. Aliens? Not so much! This one could end up being a summer pleasure/treasure. Don't let us down, boys!

6. The Ledge

Another sleeper. Hope it gets some publicity and is not overlooked. Patrick Wilson is the type of actor who only chooses really great movies to be a part of, so give this one a chance, world!

7. The Devil's Double

The trailer surprised me, hadn't heard anything about this movie, or anybody in the cast. But I really want to see it!

8. Horrible Bosses

Could be phenomenal, but could be a major let-down. Trailer looks good, but does not look great. Plus there's nobody famous in this movie. Other than Jason Bateman, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Aniston, Colin Farrell, Kevin Spacey and Donald Sutherland.

9. Transformers: Dark of the Moon

I admit, I'm a sneaker. If I go to a multiplex and can sneak into a second movie, I do so. (Bless me, father...) So the second Transformers was one I snuck into...and left after 20 minutes. And I didn't even pay for it! But this trailer looks much better. If I can sneak into it, I will.

10. Larry Crowne

This looks kind of stupid. And Julie Roberts just can't pull off a miserable, uncaring oaf. Too many teeth. Ms. Roberts and Mr. Hanks were much better in Charlie Wilson's War (very good movie!). It wasn't a blockbuster, so I guess they thought their next movie together should be dumbed down for the audience. That could come back and bite them in the behind...

11. Friends with Benefits

This looks alright, but doesn't look amazing either. Maybe it'll be a great movie with an adequate trailer...

12. Captain America: The First Avenger

This looks AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blech! Yuch! Patooey!!!

I'm guessing it's not just an awful trailer, but the movie gave the trailer editors nothing to work with. The short weakling that is Chris Evans in the beginning looks fake and FUGLY/creepy. I think Mr. E. is smokin', but this movie looks so that even when he got his pec-tacular makeover, I just didn't care anymore...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I liked Super 8 . That's probably too déclassé for peeps.

For Peter--I would nominate Alan Rickman from HP. Also I thought the trailer for Capt America looked pretty good . I seem to be the lone voice on that tho...

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Also I thought the trailer for Capt America looked pretty good .
    It was. Can't see myself sitting through the whole film just to see yer man nekkid for 10 seconds though.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    No, I actually thought the movie looked interesting. It didn't occur to me until reading this thread that it was supposed to be a hunk movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    It's interesting you say that about Chris, Rex, because I think the same thing about Josh Hartnett lol. His acting is so bland and monotone.

I don't think Captain America will do that well...the outfit is cheesy, and the storyline looks ridiculous.
    Ahhh, I just think Josh is cute. But not the next DeNiro, not by a country mile. He is pretty much the same person in every flick. But some of his films have been interesting, even if he has not been interesting in them.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    No, I actually thought the movie looked interesting. It didn't occur to me until reading this thread that it was supposed to be a hunk movie.
    Yeah, yeah that's what they all say.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure!!!

I would nominate Alan Rickman from HP.
    Maybe all the supporting actor categories will be made up of the Harry Potter cast.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I'm going to see Kung Fu Panda 2 on Friday as a chaperone with my friend's grade 5/6 class. But I did not see part one! Will I be able to understand what's going on without having viewed it's predecessor?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I'm going to see Kung Fu Panda 2 on Friday as a chaperone with my friend's grade 5/6 class. But I did not see part one! Will I be able to understand what's going on without having viewed it's predecessor?
    Wikipedia? They'll probably be a plot summary there. It isn't like Kung Fu Panda 1 was "The Usual Suspects" or anything.

vCash
    THIS is all I need to see to proclaim Horrible Bosses the best movie of Summer 2011!

(((( Peter )))) I know that you're kidding, but ... I managed to catch up to that intricately woven KFP plot within 40 seconds. (They help us via some stick drawings during the opening credits.) And once you catch up, you're ... pretty much set, as there is no more plot to follow for the entirety of KFP2. KFP must have been miles better than the excrement that was KFP2, or else the latter would've never been greenlighted.

That said, it was fun to match up the superstar voices (Jolie, Hoffman (so good, actually), Lucy Liu, Seth Rogan, David Cross, Ian McShane) to the characters.
    Last edited by Beefcake; 06-23-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    THIS is all I need to see to proclaim Horrible Bosses the best movie of Summer 2011!
    Mmmmm, that made me thirsty.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    I managed to catch up to that intricately woven KFP plot within 40 seconds. (They help us via some stick drawings during the opening credits.)
    Whew! Now I will sleep well tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Old Hollywood had its trashy moments (with the stars' personal lives) just like today.
    Yeah, but the movies were better. I know that's a generalization, and I know there are good movies now, but it seems to me that the ratio of good movies to crap was significantly larger then. (If "larger" is the word I want. Math is not my strong suit. )
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Yeah, but the movies were better. I know that's a generalization, and I know there are good movies now, but it seems to me that the ratio of good movies to crap was significantly larger then. (If "larger" is the word I want. Math is not my strong suit. )
    I agree.

vCash
    I'm going to see Kung Fu Panda 2 on Friday as a chaperone with my friend's grade 5/6 class. But I did not see part one!
    You didn't miss much
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Back home from seeing Kung Fu Panda 2. BEST PICTURE OF THE YEAR!!!!

(Kidding!!!)

It was decent. None of the kids booed. Actually, a few of the girls clapped because they loved the ooey-gooey stuff between Panda and his goose-Papa.

The movie looked good and the 3-D effects were better than Alice In Wonderland, I think. (But I hated Alice In Wonderland...) The message of the movie (which I won't spoil ) was good, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    You didn't miss much
    ...the movie was very much overshadowed by fighting and smashing and kicking and bashing and blasting and crashing... Good lord there is lots of violence in kids movies. I honestly don't know what everyone involved in this movie was thinking. I wouldn't let any of them take care of my children with their obliviousness to the fact that they are normalizing violence to such a young audience. I find if especially strange that someone like Angelina Jolie, who does so much volunteer work with the United Nations, keeps choosing movies that have so much violence in them...

Anyway, if you don't mind children being brainwashed into being violent criminals, then you should definitely catch this flick.

vCash
    Anyway, if you don't mind children being brainwashed into being violent criminals, then you should definitely catch this flick.
    Did you riot on the way out?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Did you riot on the way out?
    That was the plan, but I was surrounded by sixth-graders with camera phones.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast