Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Do you think she would have been reprimanded and fined if she had won or medalled?
    The poster I quoted was talking about her results throughout the season, not just at Worlds. I don't know how she could have won or medalled at Worlds with the injury she had, so I'm not sure that your question is a reasonable one.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Wow. I am VERY surprised to see this. And glad that the USFS is enforcing its written policy. Eagerly awaiting some action against her coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    Congratulations to the Flatt haters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Do you think she would have been reprimanded and fined if she had won or medalled?
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    But the degree that this girl has been villified is despicable. She "cost the US ladies three spots." OMG, US ladies figure skating is OVER! Crucify her!

For geez sake, this is the first year in an Olympic quadrennial. And while Mirai is certainly a talented skater, some people act as though she's the second coming of Michelle Kwan. Sorry, she's not. She will have a chance to make Worlds next year and probably will. She'll be fine.
    I find some semblance of truth in each of the above comments...

As someone else mentioned, when was the last time a skater was fined and/or reprimanded for skating through an injury? Or at all? I'm just a little disturbed by this decision at all. Athletes of all sorts compete with and through injury all the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The level of vitriol and calls for the guillotine being directed at this girl just boggles the mind.

Sad...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Would this have happened if Alissa Czisny won Worlds (1 + 12, giving the third spot)?
    Why wouldn't it?

The reprimand and fine were for not reporting the injury to the USFSA.

In my little rose-colored fantasy world...Alissa did win Worlds!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post

As someone else mentioned, when was the last time a skater was fined and/or reprimanded for skating through an injury?
    Well according to the article, this is the first time this has happened. (And it said in Olympic Sports- not figure skating!!!)

However, do we know of another US Figure Skater who did not disclose an injury, and had it come out later? It's not skating injured that she is being reprimanded for. It's not telling the federation she was injured.

vCash

As someone else mentioned, when was the last time a skater was fined and/or reprimanded for skating through an injury? Or at all? I'm just a little disturbed by this decision at all. Athletes of all sorts compete with and through injury all the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The level of vitriol and calls for the guillotine being directed at this girl just boggles the mind.

Sad...
    I agree with people needing to calm down, but as has been noted in this thread (1) Rachael is funded (at least partly) by the USFS, (2) USFS funding mandates that the athlete keep USFS apprised of any injuries (which she and her coach did not do, in direct violation of a written and signed agreement), and (3) this was a stress fracture TO HER TIBIA. ON HER *LANDING LEG.*
    I'll note again that a stress fracture to the main supporting bone on your lower leg is NOT THE SAME as a stress fracture to a toe (Lysacek 2009, Bradley 2010).

No, the world will not end because the US doesn't have 3 spots for the ladies at Worlds, but it is disappointing because there were great hopes that this would be the year that the spot could be earned back. For the first time in, what, 5 years?

vCash
    I'm a little confused, why are people saying she's not skating next season? Does it say that in the article and I just missing it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I'll note again that a stress fracture to the main supporting bone on your lower leg is NOT THE SAME as a stress fracture to a toe (Lysacek 2009, Bradley 2010).
    Exactly! And again, both skaters reported their injuries to the USFSA prior to the competition, IIRC. That's the big difference right there. I truly hope that this will push the USFSA to monitor skaters a bit closer, especially those known to be injured during the season. If they do nothing to Tom Z, I will be .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Why wouldn't it?

The reprimand and fine were for not reporting the injury to the USFSA.

In my little rose-colored fantasy world...Alissa did win Worlds!!!
    Would Hersch really have pursued it if they were good enough to get three spots? If Hersh didn't pursue it, would an offhand comment Flatt made at a press conference really have been met with such consternation from the federation itself?

vCash
    I'm concerned that this publicity about RF's reprimand is coming before Tom Z.'s. He's just as guilty, imo. I thought he kind of threw her under the bus in his comments after the Championships. I *highly doubt* he was in the dark on this one. He tried to imply her poor performance was caused by "nerves." The only nerves involved were the ones connected to her injured leg.

I hope the message other skaters don't take from this is "skate injured and flop = punishment." But obviously, if she'd skated well, this would be a non-issue.

I think skaters and coaches will still risk it.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverkwanfan View Post
    I'm a little confused, why are people saying she's not skating next season? Does it say that in the article and I just missing it?
    You're not missing anything. People are speculating that the reprimand is the USFS' way of saying "Thanks for playing Rachael, now go away." In which case maybe she'll just focus on Stanford and not compete next season.
    Last edited by Cheylana; 06-16-2011 at 03:31 AM.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Again, we haven't seen the letter nor do we know how much (or little) she is being fined. It could be more of a gesture to Phil Hersh and other critics than anything else. I can think of about 3 times I thought USFS was about the dump Rachael, but they have yet to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Wow, you're really immature.

This is not a time for congratulating Flatt "haters." Nobody is the winning party in this instance. However, as a fan with an opinion, I think the correct decision was made. The problem was not the fact that Rachael competed, it is that Rachael and her team purposefully concealed a stress fracture to the tibia from US Figure Skating, which is a direct violation of US Figure Skating policy as set forth in the 2010-2011 rule book. Since this rule was broken, Rachael has to pay a fine and I'm pretty sure Tom Zakrajsek will have to pay one too. That's it.
    Team Agreement but yes, that's exactly the point.

Hopefully it will serve as a warning to other coaches, thinking about putting their skaters at risk for personal gain.

I really really hope that Zakrajsek ends up in trouble too, before he lets another seriously injured skater compete. What a complete tool.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverkwanfan View Post
    Is it possible to study at Stanford full-time and be a competitive skater?

Title-less
    vCash

As someone else mentioned, when was the last time a skater was fined and/or reprimanded for skating through an injury? Or at all? I'm just a little disturbed by this decision at all. Athletes of all sorts compete with and through injury all the time.
    True, but USFSA will eventually have to make an example out of a skater at some point to enforce their policy. Like other instances, it's the high-profile cases that trigger such an enforcement.

Quadless
    vCash
    Wouldn't any ethical breaches on the part of a coach be the province of PSA and not US Figure Skating?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Wouldn't any ethical breaches on the part of a coach be the province of PSA and not US Figure Skating?
    What ethical breach? Tom Z was nominated for coach of the year by the PSA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Is it possible to study at Stanford full-time and be a competitive skater?
    Debi Thomas did it successfully.

Title-less
    vCash
    Like Flatt, Debi actually had better results combining school and skating. When Debi competed in 88 without school she actually didn't do as well in Calgary.

vCash
    Okay, now I love Racheal Flatt. How ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Wow. I am VERY surprised to see this. And glad that the USFS is enforcing its written policy. Eagerly awaiting some action against her coach.
    Where, exactly, does it say in the rulebook that a skater who does not disclose injury should be fined? I'm not being sarcastic. I've done a cursory reading of both the 2011 and 2010 rulebooks. If it's there I must have missed it.

Quoting directly from the 2011 USFSA rulebook, here is what I believe to be the relevant part of the code of conduct:

I will conduct myself in a manner not detrimental to the welfare of figure skating. I understand that my actions reflect on U.S. Figure Skating and the sport of figure skating both positively and negatively. I understand that if my acts, statements, or conduct are considered detrimental to the welfare of figure skating by the appropriate authority, I may be subject to penalties imposed by U.S. Figure Skating pursuant to GR 1.04.
    Here's the punishment for violating the code of conduct:

Any person whose acts, statements or conduct violates the provisions of the preceding General Rules or otherwise violates the person’s applicable duties and responsibilities to U.S. Figure Skating or whose acts, statements or conduct are otherwise considered detrimental to the welfare of figure skating is subject to the loss of the privilege of registration by U.S. Figure Skating in accordance with the procedure outlined in Article XXIV, Section 3 of the U.S. Figure Skating bylaws relating to loss of membership privileges, suspension and expulsion.
    This applies to coaches as well as skaters and parents. It says nothing about fines. If USFSA truly feels that Rachael violated the code of conduct, which seems to be their unstated reason for fining her, by their own rules they should have expelled her as a member from USFSA. I personally don't want that to happen and would be extremely angry if it did, but they seem to be making a weird special case for her where they still want her on the team but they're not keen on encouraging her career. It's confusing.

Article XXIV, Section 3 states that a grievance must be filed within 60 days of discovering the violation and approached within 30 days of the filing - if they truly want to investigate Tom Z, they'd better hurry up and file. It also says that Rachael has 30 days to appeal, though it's possible that rule only applies to rulings resulting in expulsion.

To me, reading this over briefly, it seems like Tom Z violated the code of conduct more than Rachael did, especially considering Josh Farris. Maybe someone filed a grievance against Rachael first.
    Last edited by olifaunt; 06-16-2011 at 03:43 AM.

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast