Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    It's possible that NONE of the ladies we've been talking about this season (Mirai, Rachael, Alissa, Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, etc.) will be a factor in Sochi.
    Frankly (and no offense to these ladies), I HOPE that's the case.

I want to see some new faces on the scene.

vCash
    Wow this thread is very fun and enjoyable.

vCash
    I think nothing would make the USFSA happier than having a shiny bright new skater on the top. A new Tara or Sasha would pump life back into skating. Someone who came close to Michelle would be a dream come true.

Rachael never thrilled me, her bodyline, the way she seemed to skate heavy on her skates, she never appeared light and flowing. Her skating was a better version of Emily Hughes' clonky skating.

Rachael's consistency with the jumps is what gave the USFSA hope but now who knows. She is not all that great of a skater, if this were 1997-98 or 2000 - 2004 Rachael would be landing 5th or 6th.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverkwanfan View Post
    I think nothing would make the USFSA happier than having a shiny bright new skater on the top. A new Tara or Sasha would pump life back into skating. Someone who came close to Michelle would be a dream come true.
    True, but with this new scoring system, I don't think it's possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverkwanfan View Post

Unfortunately, with the scoring system the way it currently is, you'll see too many skaters performing like they are checking off moves from a points list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    True, but with this new scoring system, I don't think it's possible.
    Too many people find it easier to blame the scoring system and not the skaters.

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    If only i didn't have to see his face when reading those articles! Looks like a perv! Ew!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly On The Wall View Post
    Psychics/mind readers all.

Am I the only one who hopes Rachael gives all of us armchair commentators and USFSA a very large, very public, and very inappropriate giant finger and says, "Screw you all, I'm going to school and never thinking about skating again"? We'll see who gets chosen as the next scapegoat.

No, I want Rachael to come back well and with her jump arsenal in tact. Though the performances at World were subpar there were some beautiful moments.
    I think she did a much improved spiral----back glide into leg lift. And the position of her free leg in the layback is first rate and she did get a level 4 for her footwork which doesn't happen often. I think Rachael will want to try to redeem herself.

Even before this event, she has been cruelly crticized. You would think she was the worst skater in the world, but the fact is she is still in the top ten of the world according to isu rankings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    You're absolutely right.

I think the main reason so many people cut Mirai slack is that she's adorable and charming. No argument there, but in terms of actual skating, I don't believe she's the salvation of US Ladies' Figure Skating, contrary to what so many posters seem to think.

This next season is just the second year in an Olympic quadrennial. We may well see another Tara Lipinski show up. It's possible that NONE of the ladies we've been talking about this season (Mirai, Rachael, Alissa, Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, etc.) will be a factor in Sochi.
    You are right. It is really hard to predict early in quads for ladies especialy. Just look at some past ones:

1981- Everyone was talking about Biellmann, Zayak, Wainmann, and Witt at this point. 2 of those wouldnt even make it to Sarajevo, one would be the 3rd U.S lady by then, and of course one would be champion. However who would have ever guessed Sumners would be the top U.S lady and the gold medal favorite going into the 84 Games. Few had ever heard of her in 81, wasnt she something like #5 in the U.S that year.

1985- 1988 was going to be the Chin coronation. She never even made it to Calgary. Witt was probably going to retire after 86, she ended up repeating as Olympic Champion.

1989- You would have thought Ito would stroll to the 92 Olympic Gold without figures. And Trenary would be a big factor. And the idea of Kerrigan being a medalist at the 92 Games would been laughable.

1995- Who would have picked Tara to win the 98 Games when she couldnt even win Junior Nationals in 95 and came 5th at Juniors Worlds behind another 13 year old (who won bronze) in 96.

2003- Imagine saying Arakawa would be the 2006 Olympic Champ. This would be the funniest joke of all had anyone said that.

vCash
    Did anyone see Rachael's skate at Skate for Hope?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    You are right. It is really hard to predict early in quads for ladies especialy.
    All your examples are true. But then we get to 2007 when everyone guessed the 2010 gold would be between Kim and Asada...and they went one and two.

So who knows what the trend will be with the changed scoring system which is only it its second full quad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I recall Czisny getting dumped on when she tanked in 2009...I think it was just as nasty, perhaps even MORE so, than what Flatt is getting now. The one who I noticed got away with less flack and more forgiveness, for whatever reason, was Nagasu in 2010. I was even amazed that some people chose to point to Flatt's 9th as the reason we lost 3 spots that year, ignoring that if Nagasu hadn't fallen on the - 2A - she would have been THIRD!!! and 3+9=12, 12<13 does it not?

Basically, the same skater has not failed twice. In 2008 it was basically the whole team underperforming (especially Wagner though), in 2009 it was Czisny, in 2010 it was Nagasu and this time it was Flatt. One gets the feeling it was "just not meant to be" at this point. I do hope we get some fresh blood among the US's elite ladies. I admit to getting a bit bored with the current crop, although if Nagasu could pull herself together, she could be great I think.
    Flatt went to 2010 Worlds as the reigning National Champion and "the rock" and carried the burden, and underperformed big time from her 5th place the previous season. Not regaining the 3rd spot in 2010 was not Nagasu, or at least not primarily Nagasu to blame, especially since Nagasu still placed ahead of her overall. For 3 years in a row, Flatt was part of a 2 ppl team where she was the rock and the other was an inconsistent medal potential. She only did her part as 'the rock" in 2009.

So yes, Flatt has failed twice (2010, 2011).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Flatt went to 2010 Worlds as the reigning National Champion and "the rock" and carried the burden, and underperformed big time from her 5th place the previous season. Not regaining the 3rd spot in 2010 was not Nagasu, or at least not primarily Nagasu's to blame.
    While I understand that Flatt didn't perform to the best of her ability either, I cannot agree that it's not primarily Nagasu's fault. Out of the two, obviously Nagasu had the potential for placing higher. After all, she came into worlds being 4th at the Olympics and- get this- THE LEADER after the short program. If she only had a couple of mistakes overall to place 7th, fine...but the girl melted down. one 2A fall away from medaling. Sorry, but Nagasu was just as big a part at the 2010 failure as Flatt was for the 2011 one.

Still though, I don't want to get deep into this blame game stuff. Honestly, you can point fingers at any/all of the 6 skaters who have been on World teams since 2008: Meissner, Liang, Wagner, Flatt, Nagasu, Czisny. Speaking in GENERAL terms, it's really not one skater's fault in particular...it's more the sub-par state of American ladies. Hopefully there are better days ahead.

vCash
    I STILL don't get why so many are saying this. She broke a rule; the USFS decided to fine/reprimand her. Seriously, if they really wanted her out, they would have suspended or banned her. Articles said repeatedly that this decision DOES NOT AFFECT her eligibility, so she is free to continue if she wishes.

She was going to go to college anyway, and I think that more than anything will determine whether she continues to keep skating at this level or not.
    She will be exiled not because she broke a rule, but because her only selling point is no longer valid, and hasn't been for 2 seasons really.

vCash
    She will be exiled not because she broke a rule, but because her only selling point is no longer valid, and hasn't been for 2 seasons really.
    Well, but let's be real honest- the only person who could "exile" her- is Flatt herself. It's up to her to fight back and prove that GPF and Worlds were flukes. If she doesn't, and lets her failures get to her, then of course she's toast. But not because of USFS- because of HER.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Flatt was actually robbed at 2009 US nationals by dubious judgings. To the lesser extent, the judges prevented Flatt from winning her first title in 2008. I guess some of the USFS officials and judges felt sorry for Flatt and as a result, huge markups for Flatt have occured in 2010.
    I don't think the judges purposely held her down in 2008 and 2009. The jumps were her only advantage over Nagasu in 2008 and Czisny in 2009. The judges did the right thing then. It's just like Bobek over Kwan at 1995 Nationals and Worlds. 2009 was just a poor Nationals. The only clean performances came from Flatt and Zhang who just weren't good enough skaters to command high PCS.

The only thing that sealed the deal for Flatt's inevitable title in 2010 was her 5th place finish at Worlds in 2009 and no other Olympic hopeful coming close to that at that point. Ultimately the wrong bet was made because the international judges did like Nagasu a whole lot better than they did Flatt and Nagasu actually delivered at the Olympics (well, Flatt did too but no one really cared).

vCash
    While I understand that Flatt didn't perform to the best of her ability either, I cannot agree that it's not primarily Nagasu's fault. Out of the two, obviously Nagasu had the potential for placing higher. After all, she came into worlds being 4th at the Olympics and- get this- THE LEADER after the short program. If she only had a couple of mistakes overall to place 7th, fine...but the girl melted down. one 2A fall away from medaling. Sorry, but Nagasu was just as big a part at the 2010 failure as Flatt was for the 2011 one.

What's the point of sending Flatt if she can't deliver? She is named the rock by her own coach to give her a selling point. It's her only selling point. If she had skated cleanly and placed as high as she could and US still didn't have a 3rd spot back, then it would have been Nagasu's problem.

Nagasu was picked for 2010 not because she was a medal hopeful (she hasn't competed in any senior international championship yet), but because she was a medal potential for the future and needed the experience. She was known to be inconsistent. I don't think anyone was placing bets on her.

vCash
    Well, but let's be real honest- the only person who could "exile" her- is Flatt herself. It's up to her to fight back and prove that GPF and Worlds were flukes. If she doesn't, and lets her failures get to her, then of course she's toast. But not because of USFS- because of HER.
    If we are being really honest, then I think she will be very stupid to come back. The international judges already don't like her skating, and now she has pissed off USFS as well and hasn't delivered at Worlds / Olympics for 2 seasons. She hasn't been consistent and even her jumps are a mess. What's her value?

On the bright side, she is Jr World Champion, US Champion, has been to 3 Worlds and to 1 Olympics. That's pretty impressive given her lack of talent. She is now going to college. Time to start a new phrase of her life - especially when there's really no reason for her to look back.

She can come back all she wants, but I doubt we will see a PCS over 7 ever again even at Nationals and all that ugly flutz/lip thing, cheated combinations and poor spins will be penalised big time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    No, I want Rachael to come back well and with her jump arsenal in tact. Though the performances at World were subpar there were some beautiful moments.
    I think she did a much improved spiral----back glide into leg lift. And the position of her free leg in the layback is first rate and she did get a level 4 for her footwork which doesn't happen often. I think Rachael will want to try to redeem herself.

Even before this event, she has been cruelly crticized. You would think she was the worst skater in the world, but the fact is she is still in the top ten of the world according to isu rankings.
    WORD!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    On the bright side, she is Jr World Champion, US Champion, has been to 3 Worlds and to 1 Olympics. That's pretty impressive given her lack of talent.
    Seriously? You don't get to the serious elite level without talent. Nobody does. Just because you may not like her style or skill set doesn't mean she doesn't have talent.

----(getting general here)--------

The hate in this thread is mind boggling. This is a young woman trying be the best she can at a sport she (presumably) loves. Why hate on her for it? I can absolutely understand being upset about breaking the rule. However some of the stuff in here is just plain spiteful.

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast