Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    ^^ Thanks for those links skatesindreams!

@olympic I doubt Dorny would argue that Jeremy and Adam are two men at the top of U.S. figure skating. That takes nothing away from the fact that Dorny has mad skills and bragging rights, and that he too is among the top guys in U.S. figure skating. How cool that Dorny and Miner had the opportunity to go to Worlds and perform well. Quite sure that Jeremy and Adam don't begrudge either of them. It just helps to heat up the competition and ratchet up the international experience levels. In general, skaters are supportive of each other. But yes, competition is what it is all about, and that’s what everything comes down to in this sport. I love the depth in U.S. men's figure skating, and I love all the men too. I have my faves and guys I'm pulling for, but my fingers are always crossed for a great competition. Whoever goes to Worlds next year are sure to get back three spots for the men. Our guys are too good not to have three spots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I find Rippon opportunistic and phony as his quad lutz. lol
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    For those of us who admire Adam, this program is one reason why:

"Cinema Paradiso" EX Skate Canada 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VP4lTJ--jY

"Cinema Paradiso" EX "The Ice" Japan 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmn-SdNpEbk
    I get the same feeling watching Adam's CP as I do watching MK's EOE. When he skated it at the Skate Canada exhibition practice, I wept. Luckily, I was prepared for the actual exhibition. I had plenty of TP from the ladies room..

Skate Canada 2010 version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVUYGzFisY
    Last edited by kwanette; 06-16-2011 at 08:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    For those of us who admire Adam, this program is one reason why:

"Cinema Paradiso" EX Skate Canada 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VP4lTJ--jY

"Cinema Paradiso" EX "The Ice" Japan 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmn-SdNpEbk
    Now that Adam and Jeremy are training together, dare I hope for a duet featuring SBS Russian split jumps, skid spirals, and spread eagles??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

@olympic I doubt Dorny would argue that Jeremy and Adam are two men at the top of U.S. figure skating. That takes nothing away from the fact that Dorny has mad skills and bragging rights, and that he too is among the top guys in U.S. figure skating. How cool that Dorny and Miner had the opportunity to go to Worlds and perform well. Quite sure that Jeremy and Adam don't begrudge either of them. It just helps to heat up the competition and ratchet up the international experience levels. In general, skaters are supportive of each other. But yes, competition is what it is all about, and that’s what everything comes down to in this sport. I love the depth in U.S. men's figure skating, and I love all the men too. I have my faves and guys I'm pulling for, but my fingers are always crossed for a great competition. Whoever goes to Worlds next year are sure to get back three spots for the men. Our guys are too good not to have three spots.
    You're probably right. I am turning into a Dorny uber, though .

Interestingly, Abbott received 225 pts. at 4CCs with a fall, doubled jump, and I think a stumbly landing somewhere else. Dornbush got 222 pts. at Worlds with several smaller mistakes. I just found that to be interesting ...

vCash
    I am so impressed that he talked to Jeremy first. There was always something about Adam's skating that i didnt like. I think that it is his pumping up and down while he strokes but after listening to his interview, I love this kid. How in the world can you not? He is terriffic.

vCash
    I hope this is a good move for him. When you live in the public eye, any decisions you make come back to haunt you if they are not immediately successful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

ITA. Dornbush outskated Jeremy and Adam this entire season so I'd really say he is the top US skater currently, or at least in the top 2. Miner also made a big statement at Nationals and Worlds that he shouldn't be counted out. I hope Adam bounces back next season but I still have doubts if he will ever really "make it" on the senior ranks, his jumps just simply aren't that strong and he may always be plagued by axel issues which could make or break him. As for Jeremy, he's starting to get old, I still think he has it in him to be a World medalist, but if he wants to do that he needs to put it together fast, I mean it looks like 2 quads in the FS is going to become the standard soon after what we saw at Worlds from Chan, Brezina, and Fernandez.

vCash
    Jeremy Abbott (@jeremyabbottpcf) tweeted today:
    Now that the cats out of the bag I'd like to extend a warm welcome to @Adaripp [Adam Rippon] I'm really excited to be training together!
    Quote Originally Posted by figsrus View Post
    Skype interview with Adam about his coaching change and summer plans
    Excerpt from Rippon's interview:
    My long program with Pasquale [Camerlengo] - I LOVED working with him - it's kind of a classical program. With Shae Lynn [Bourne] it's a folk number ... I love working with her, she's incredible, she's probably one of the best skaters that ever skated.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-17-2011 at 01:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgramerUSFS View Post
    Now that he has switched to and from multiple coaches at the same rink, and left behind what he refers to in his interviews as his coaching team. How many others I am not sure. Logic would suggest that there is something at that rink that he doesn't want to watch, compete with, or see. Maybe there is a younger male skater there who is chasing him, and he doesn't like to be chased and caught, but would rather chase say Jeremy. I don't know, do you know what is going on? Maybe this is all just some change of his mind every few months, but my gut tells me there is more to this story. Inquiring minds want to know.
    If you're a high profile skater and you've just quit a high profile coach, it is VERY uncomfortable to continue training at the same rink. Where's the mystery in that? I admire Adam's ability to suck it up and take his time deciding on a new coach and training location rather than jumping to a new locale just to get out of there. BTW, you can add me to the list of those who have had a chance to spend some time with Adam and think he is the most genuinely good-hearted kid on the planet.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash

From Jer's FB..

Jeremy Abbott
    My @Adaripp hashtag didn't work, so let's try again! #onetwo2012! @dscclub

Might look good on a t-shirt..

vCash
    That would be awesome! Can Adam be the #1? Jeremy has had his turn

(I like Dornbush and Miner too- really, for the most part, I like all the US men near the top right now. Nationally, it seems that unless the one skate who I don't really care for has a breakthrough season, it's win-win for me as a fan)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Jason/Yuka are doing good things. Maybe Yuka can choreograph something for Adam. I really hope to see Adam reach his full potential.
    I think Yuka would be a good fit for Adam in terms of choreography. But, didn't someone say that Adam already had picked music and worked on the choreography for his new programs? Or, am I confusing him with one of the many other crazy coaching changes the last couple of months?

ETA: Oh, yeah, it was Adam himself who said that. I guess we'll have to wait until next season for a chance to see Yuka maybe choreograph a program for him.
    Last edited by Allskate; 06-17-2011 at 05:32 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Jeremy Abbott
    My @Adaripp hashtag didn't work, so let's try again! #onetwo2012! @dscclub

Might look good on a t-shirt..
    Looks great and sounds great too. I'm excited for next season.

@pinky -- I doubt there's any reason for you to have doubts about Adam's abilities to shine. Dornbush had a dynamite lp this past season, and he's an excellent jumper with an engaging manner. Although it was good, I don't think Dorny's sp was as strong as his lp. In terms of complex choreography, I think Jeremy tops the competition. All skaters have areas to work on and to continue to improve upon, particularly younger skaters such as Miner and Dornbush. The fact both performed so well in their senior debut season is fantastic for them and something to build upon. Both will need to up their difficulty in jumps and transitions, and also continue working on their artistic skills. Actually, Ross Miner skated more cleanly than Dornbush at both Nationals and Worlds, but they are both very good, very consistent and fun to watch. I can't wait to see their music and choreo choices for next season. Ditto for all the guys, including Armin, Jason Brown, and the entire U.S. men's field.

@arakwafan -- I'm impressed with Adam too. The Detroit training center will be an exciting place to be. Adam's pumping motion on his crossovers doesn't really bother me, but maybe being in the proximity of Jeremy will help AdaRipp learn how to smooth out and lessen that minor flaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzYhGRjWXPM 2008 GPF Final with masterful Jeremy, choreo by Tom Dickson

As I mentioned in another thread, I could watch Toller Cranston's crossovers all day -- maybe Adam could learn from watching some Toller tapes too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7AZboQ0R08 Toller 1974 Worlds

And skater's skater, Matt Savoie, is another mezmerizing master of Tom Dickson choreo and transcendant skating:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRqY2Q2WUl8

AdaRipp's fine start to 2010-2011 season at Japan Open shows he's in a similar mold to the above magical skaters, IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLTw8A79EKQ

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Adam and Jeremy have been my 2 favorite US men for years, even when Evan and Johnnie still competed. I'm thrilled to hear they will be training together and can't wait to see their new programs next year.

But I have to admit, I feel like a traitor. Dornbush is my new US #1.

I'd like to see all 3 medal at their GP's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Jeremy Abbott (@jeremyabbottpcf) tweeted today:

Now that the cats out of the bag I'd like to extend a warm welcome to @Adaripp [Adam Rippon] I'm really excited to be training together!
    Jeremy is a real classy man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Now that Adam and Jeremy are training together, dare I hope for a duet featuring SBS Russian split jumps, skid spirals, and spread eagles??
    I would like to see them do a program with Alissa. It would be gorgeous!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OrioleBeagle View Post
    I would like to see them do a program with Alissa. It would be gorgeous!
    I agree...haven't seen a great trio since..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N0_DeGtmLg

vCash
    1. I'd like echo t.mann - I've always been impressed with Abbott's class and this is no exception. Also, kudos to Rippon for talking to Abbott before announcing/finalizing his decision.

2. I'm not sure I'd write Adam off so quickly, pinky. Yuka and Jason did wonders for Alissa and I think they could help Adam with some of his difficulties.

3. In reports and interviews, Adam has struck me as being one of the nicest and most genuine skaters out there.

vCash
    His indecisiveness in finally settling on a coach is , in part, one of the things that infects his skating. I think it will take more than one season with his new coach to sort all this out.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast