Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash

4 CDN national team members retire

This article confirms the retirement of Shawn Sawyer and also mentions Joey Russell, Adam Johnson (pair skater) and Diane Szmeitt: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...362/story.html
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    This article confirms the retirement of Shawn Sawyer and also mentions Joey Russell, Adam Johnson (pair skater) and Diane Szmeitt: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...362/story.html
    So I guess Hole/Johnson are done?

vCash
    Shawnie . I for one will miss his creative programs and performance quality. Not too many amateur skaters around who performed their competitive programs as well as he did.

I was hoping Diane would stick around for one more year instead of ending her career after the downer she had last season, but focusing on school is always a good idea.

vCash
    I'm sad about Shawn..

I'm not surprised about Diane because she didn't even come to Nationals.

vCash
    I am surprised about Joey Russell. I thought he was on his way up in the world... I'm very surprised with this decision.

vCash
    Johnson retires from amateur skating

"I would like to thank Skate Canada for its numerous contributions in my competitive skating career and that of my previous skating partners, Kaleigh Hole and Christi Steele," Johnson said in a Skate Canada news release. "Without your presence, the success of many skaters would be unlikely, something I am extremely grateful for."
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Thanks for the article links, victorskid and shutterbug!

victorskid, I reposted your link on page 3 of the "Shawn Sawyer Calls it a Career" thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78228

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    I am surprised about Joey Russell. I thought he was on his way up in the world... I'm very surprised with this decision.
    In case you or anyone else missed it, here's the link to the earlier GSD thread about Joey Russell retiring: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79013

vCash
    There was an article in the 6/18 print edition of the Brandon Sun that opened with the sentence: "Virden's Kaleigh Hole never saw it coming." The full article is not available online, but it implies that she may not have been forewarned of her partner Adam Johnson's retirement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    There was an article in the 6/18 print edition of the Brandon Sun that opened with the sentence: "Virden's Kaleigh Hole never saw it coming." The full article is not available online, but it implies that she may not have been forewarned of her partner Adam Johnson's retirement.
    A couple of quotes from the print edition:

“It was shocking, for sure,” Hole said via cellphone from Strathroy, Ont., where she moved to two years ago to team up with Johnson. “My coaches and I weren’t expecting it to happen, at all, and I wasn’t really prepared to change what I was going to do this year. So it was definitely disappointing, but I guess that’s life.”
    “That was the shocking part because we made the national team and we were starting to get funding and stuff, so it’s disappointing,” Hole said. “We were going to be carded (athletes), but not now.
    Kaleigh plans to skate singles and attend the University of Western Ontario in the fall. She will keep her eye out for a new partner.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    Finishing third at Canadians and making the world teamwas the probably the best season Joey could envision for himself. Just making it through to the FS was probably a thrill for Joey and although I'm sure he would have preferred to have finished above 24th - last place - he probably didn't ever expect to get there.

Joey has announced his retirement with grace and gratitude and seems to be complete with regard to his amateur career.