Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    Actually they asked him to lecture at several Ivy League colleges and to run for political office but he said he'd rather skate in shows to benefit cancer and aids research and work for the Human Rights Campaign where the gene pool is nice and shallow. If he can make money by being on tv or singing his little song why does that offend you so much? The only skaters who make a good living still skating are Olympic champions. He's not one. Also the day of the ice show is fading and the only one in the US won't have him. He still skates in Asia and Europe, but he lives here. "Pop culture" means the popular culture. What is enjoyed by the most people. I don't think that ALL people who enjoy it are the shallow end of the gene pool. I think it is a rather broad spectrum. For example, President Obama had the rap artist Common to the White House the other day. Whatever your politics I don't think you would call Barak Obama the shallow end of the gene pool.

See you at the symphony dahling.
    I agree that he's doing a lot of good work now. He seems to be dipping his toe into activism as well, which is nice to see. If someone came along and said to me, "Would you like to write a book, record a song, go on talk shows, and do a fashion line" and I had the guts and charisma to do all of that, I'd say yes. Why not take those opportunities? You only live once. As long as you're not hurting anyone (and bonus points if you inspire others in the process), why not try new things? Gosh, even Bette Davis recorded a pop song at one point in her career. Why not?

vCash
    I give him credit for not stretching it all out until the last moment.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If he wants to come back eventually, assuming the rules for "returning skaters" for GP stay the same, it's a better strategy to wait until closer to the Olympics to return, since it will guarantee him 2 GP's as a former seeded skater in the Olympic or pre-Olympic seasons.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    He really felt he needed to make this announcement? Honestly, I can't see him ever returning. Key line in his announcement "when my schedule permits" If he ever wants to compete the priorities have to changes!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF View Post
    Hmm Kurt Browning
    Very true but he's Scotty's BFF. Nor is he American. Canadians are much more appreciative of their skaters as a nation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    He really felt he needed to make this announcement? Honestly, I can't see him ever returning. Key line in his announcement "when my schedule permits" If he ever wants to compete the priorities have to changes!
    I agree. And if lucrative opportunities in show biz keep cropping up he'd be a fool to toss them for another 7th place at the Olympics.

vCash
    Good bye, Johnny!

vCash
    Very true but he's Scotty's BFF. Nor is he American. Canadians are much more appreciative of their skaters as a nation.
    I saw nothing in your post that a skater had to be an American Olympic Champion. I used your words in the quote.
    You changing your post in midstream? Not nice

You are delusional if you think Kurt wouldn't be successful without being "Scotty's BBF" or heaven forbid not Canadian.

vCash
    Given he's making a decent income of being a Z-list celebrity, I can't imagine him returning to competitive skating.

What for?

Especially given the level of Men at 2011 Worlds. Out of his league.

vCash
    When did Sasha or B&A or Weiss win the Olympics?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF View Post
    I saw nothing in your post that a skater had to be an American Olympic Champion. I used your words in the quote.
    You changing your post in midstream? Not nice

You are delusional if you think Kurt wouldn't be successful without being "Scotty's BBF" or heaven forbid not Canadian.
    Hmm I'm as confused by your post as you seem to be by mine. An Olympic champ doesn't have to be American to be a success. Is that what you think I meant? Kurt was also a 4 time World Champion AND he came to prominence during skating's heyday when it was on tv every weekend so he became very well known (to say nothing of being a marvellous entertainer and skater) The Scotty remark was a joke. Did you see the little laughing smilie? I stand by my statement that Canadians appreciate their skaters more than Americans though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    When did Sasha or B&A or Weiss win the Olympics?
    Good point but Sasha is a chick and they're way more popular than the guys. I doubt B&A are counting their millions yet and Weiss has been a staple of SOI for years. Weir is a 3 time US champ and a Wrold bronze medalist but SOI will not have him, so where will his future earnings come from?

I'm with Ziggy. It's a long life. It requires money and if this is his niche after competitive skating I say go for it. I don't see him coming back no matter his honest intention.

vCash
    Good point but Sasha is a chick and they're way more popular than the guys. I doubt B&A are counting their millions yet and Weiss has been a staple of SOI for years. Weir is a 3 time US champ and a Wrold bronze medalist but SOI will not have him, so where will his future earnings come from?

I'm with Ziggy. It's a long life. It requires money and if this is his niche after competitive skating I say go for it. I don't see him coming back no matter his honest intention.

He's big in Japan!

vCash
    Awwww Johnny, we barely knew ye ….

Yep, I agree Justathoughtabl that Johnny is sincere, as he dearly loves his fans. Sure, Genevieve, there’s snark galore but ain’t none of it coming from Mr. Weir.

Johnny’s every utterance and presumed fashion faux pas, past transgressions, failure to overcome his shortcomings and the obstacles against him, the fact he even dares to exist at all seems to irritate a certain shallow spectrum of the gene pool. Johnny is to some FSU posters like flies to honey. Whether or not Johnny returns to competition, there are those who will take advantage of every opportunity to use him as a punchline. Yes, sometimes the jokes are funny and harmless, more often just snarky and gratuitous.

Definitely to come back to compete again in the eligible ranks would be a difficult undertaking, and Johnny would have to be at the very top of his game – as the arena and the rules are in constant flux, and there’s no lack of talented men eager to compete for limited spots for trips to Worlds and the Olympics. Not to mention the greater challenge for Johnny of not being well-liked by TPTB. As Johnny once alluded, 2006 Olympics was his greatest opportunity (his bailiwick). In any case, let’s not forget or ignore this fact: Johnny’s major accomplishments in the sport of figure skating are attributable to his extraordinary talent, which has inspired and continues to inspire many.

Thanks to you Johnny and good luck! Whatever you decide, and no matter what happens, your fans will always love you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Sure, Genevieve, there’s snark galore but ain’t none of it coming from Mr. Weir.
    No, apparently at least some of it is coming from you.

Johnny’s every utterance and presumed fashion faux pas, past transgressions, failure to overcome his shortcomings and the obstacles against him, the fact he even dares to exist at all seems to irritate a certain shallow spectrum of the gene pool.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Tit for tat. I bow down to you overedge in this matter. As usual, you seem to be the expert. Where there's snark, there's ire, and overedge is sure to follow.

vCash
    I think returning to full time training after living like a semi normal person since the olympics would be hard. It's a lot to expect for a 27 year old man to return to going to bed at 9pm every night and living off coffee and salad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12