Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash

Johnny Weir will NOT compete the 2011-12 season

To my fans,

I want to formally announce that I will not compete in the upcoming season. I have dreamt of returning to competition for the upcoming season, but due to many obligations in my professional life, I will not be able to devote enough time to my training and my representation of the United States in international competition.

I realize that a huge percentage of my fan base is awaiting my return to the competitive ice and I beg your pardon for not fulfilling your wishes this year. I do not want any of my fans to lose hope as I am still on the ice, still training hard whenever my schedule permits. I still have a very competitive attitude, and after one more year off the competitive ice, I hope to return, and my team and I are already taking a very rigid approach to my schedule in 2012 so that I will have proper time to train for the figure skating high season.

I have had many big successes in my professional life since my performance at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, and I continue to strive for perfection in every aspect of my public life. I wake up every day and go to sleep every night hoping that I’ve made my fans around the world proud with whatever I am doing, whether it’s a skating show, a public appearance, or a new episode of my TV show. I would be nothing without my thousands of fans around the world, and I hope I can continue to make you proud. I will be back on the ice, competing for you, very soon.

In the meantime, my fans can look forward to my collaborations with MAC cosmetics and eDressMe.com; “Spectacular,” an ice concert I am creating for this fall; a new season of my hit reality show, Be Good Johnny Weir, on Logo; and of course skating around the world in exhibition performances.

I’d like to thank my many fans across the globe for your continued support and faith in me. No matter what, my eyes are still firmly fixed on Sochi and the 2014 Olympic Games.

Thank you.

Johnny G. Weir
    http://www.figureskatersonline.com/j...te-to-my-fans/

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    FYI, this was posted earlier today in the Johnny Weir news thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=77947&page=13

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    FYI, this was posted earlier today in the Johnny Weir news thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=77947&page=13
    Ooops!

Away with it then, mods! To the trash can we go!

vCash
    Well, that's no big shock...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    His hair would be a minimal -3 deduction, I am sure...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I realize that a huge percentage of my fan base is awaiting my return to the competitive ice and I beg your pardon for not fulfilling your wishes this year.

snark much?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Shocking, just shocking I say!!
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    His hair would be a minimal -3 deduction, I am sure...
    Hater!

vCash
    I'm not surprised. I didn't think he was going to compete (this season). I honestly don't think he'll ever be back to eligible competition, but maybe he can get an invite to Scott Hamilton's new comps.

vCash
    I just hope he doesn't pull a Sasha and show up to 2014 nationals as his first comp. in four years. It's not going to work!

vCash
    ...In other news the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

vCash
    I don't think he'll be back for 2012-2013 either, contrary to what he says in the message. Maybe he'll come back for one last try at the Olympics, but more likely, he's enjoying his present life off ice so much he won't want to go back to the rigors of training.

vCash
    Forget the Crone/Poirer split, the Denney/Coughlin/Yankowskas shuffle, the retirement of Zuerlein, or the myriad coaching changes this season... THIS is the shock of all shocks for the off season! Next, you'll be telling me that the Kween announced she won't try for Sochi . I don't think I can take any more surprises

vCash
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    It's just as well. He hasn't done anything interesting on ice in years. He can stick with the mediocrity of pop culture and make his quick cash off of the shallow end of the gene pool.

vCash
    Uh, I hate to say it, but DUH.

Blind Freddy could have seen that one coming.

"due to many obligations in my professional life, I will not be able to devote enough time to my training and my representation of the United States in international competition."

"still training hard whenever my schedule permits."

These two lines alone tell you right now that he's not got the right attitude - he's fitting skating around his celebrity life, not fitting his celebrity life around his skating. Skating doesn't appear to be high on his list of priorities right now.

vCash
    Yeah I was about to say...I thought skating WAS his professional life.. So is he Johnny Weir fame whore now instead of Johnny Weir figure skater?

vCash
    I didn't detect any snark in his message. I think he was being sincere--he's quite devoted to his fans.

I think it makes sense for him not to compete this year. He's at retirement age anyway, and I think that's in the back of his mind. I'm guessing he's having trouble letting go of the sport but knows he will have to do so eventually, so he's trying to set up a career for himself outside of it. I think Johnny and Evan are kind of in the same "what do I do now" boat. And they're both taking all the opportunities that come along so they can explore their options.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    It's just as well. He hasn't done anything interesting on ice in years. He can stick with the mediocrity of pop culture and make his quick cash off of the shallow end of the gene pool.
    Actually they asked him to lecture at several Ivy League colleges and to run for political office but he said he'd rather skate in shows to benefit cancer and aids research and work for the Human Rights Campaign where the gene pool is nice and shallow. If he can make money by being on tv or singing his little song why does that offend you so much? The only skaters who make a good living still skating are Olympic champions. He's not one. Also the day of the ice show is fading and the only one in the US won't have him. He still skates in Asia and Europe, but he lives here. "Pop culture" means the popular culture. What is enjoyed by the most people. I don't think that ALL people who enjoy it are the shallow end of the gene pool. I think it is a rather broad spectrum. For example, President Obama had the rap artist Common to the White House the other day. Whatever your politics I don't think you would call Barak Obama the shallow end of the gene pool.

See you at the symphony dahling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    The only skaters who make a good living still skating are Olympic champions.
    Hmm Kurt Browning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast