Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,138
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    ???
    It's true.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    569
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    It's true.
    Interesting, and you know that how?

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Age
    70
    Posts
    3,009
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3722
    millipied, I meant that I believe that the Russian FSU and the ISU struck a deal. Russia would help out the ISU by holding the Worlds in exchange for the ISU reinstating Plushy.

    I'm off on holiday for 3 weeks, so won't be able to respond more.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Which, truthfully, makes it look like Russia can't bargain at all, because as has been stated elsewhere, the rules allow for Plushenko to apply for reinstatement, and frankly, Plushenko skating is better for competitive figure skating on the whole. Now, if Plushenko skates a lot of shows and ignores competing, I expect that'll change, but I don't think he will.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,332
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh Sweet Taipei gets 4CC again

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In an ideal world
    Posts
    2,954
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    2014??? I was hoping it was not going to be an Olympics year....

    Also what they mean by "Saitama"? If it is Saitama Super Arena, that is the arena with no best seat.

  7. #27
    The wiener takes it all
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Minor Planet Johnnyweir 12413
    Posts
    11,591
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1728
    Sofia has had Jr. Worlds in 2001, 2008 and 2009. So far it's been a lucky charm for the US Men.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    232
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Oh Sweet Taipei gets 4CC again

  9. #29
    Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    16,061
    vCash
    24000
    Rep Power
    37422
    Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    2014??? I was hoping it was not going to be an Olympics year....
    No offense, but I've been to post Olympics worlds, and they are great as well. Yes, some competitors may not come, but it is still a wonderful competition. And besides, Japan has certainly played host to a lot of wonderful skating events in the past decade, a post-Olympics Worlds isn't too much of a let down, I should think.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,332
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Judging how a lot top ladies/men are from Japan, I'd assume they would compete at home ice even it is a post Olympics World.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In an ideal world
    Posts
    2,954
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    No offense, but I've been to post Olympics worlds, and they are great as well. Yes, some competitors may not come, but it is still a wonderful competition. And besides, Japan has certainly played host to a lot of wonderful skating events in the past decade, a post-Olympics Worlds isn't too much of a let down, I should think.
    You know what I mean very well as you say "not too much of a let down"... well you cannot avoid some let down . I've been to post-Olympics Worlds too and I know they are great as well. Still I would have non-Olympics year if I could.

    Another problem is that if it is 2014, then I should choose between the Worlds and Sochi. Either way I will get very frustrated. Highly unlikely I can go to both Worlds and Olympics, if I am still at the current job. But you do not want to skip Worlds when they come to your own town... and the idea of skipping Olympics because of post-Olympic Worlds is . It would be much easier to choose if the Worlds is not held in your town.


    ETA: Japan got 2 out of 5 post-Olympic Worlds in the past. If we get 2014 it would be 3 out of 6.
    Last edited by midori; 06-17-2011 at 02:51 AM.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    200
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Canada hosted post Olympic Worlds in 1932 (Montreal), 1960 (Vancouver), 1972/2006 (Calgary), 1984 (Ottawa). That's 5 post Olympic Worlds for Canada.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    146
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    9,948
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    Canada hosted post Olympic Worlds in 1932 (Montreal), 1960 (Vancouver), 1972/2006 (Calgary), 1984 (Ottawa). That's 5 post Olympic Worlds for Canada.
    It's not the same thing. Canada hosted these post-Olympic World because they applied for them. Japan switched to the post-Olympic Worlds because of an earthquake. So I understand if some Japanese fans are disappointed.

    Canada has hosted 2 Olympics and is naturally assigned many Worlds (including pre-Olympic Worlds which are the best kind) and many 4CC because of the interest in figure skating. They can't all be pre-Olympic Worlds.

    BTW the 1984 post-Olympic Worlds were a championships every country would love to host. All four newly-crowned Olympic champions were competing and it was the last competition of Torvill&Dean and Scott Hamilton. Not the crappiest competition in the world. No need to feel robbed.

    I personally love post-Olympic Worlds. The olympic season is so stressful upto then. At the Worlds there is less stress (at least for fans) and some new champions.

  15. #35
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    42,380
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    25256
    Quote Originally Posted by akkto View Post
    It's absolutely massive. I believe it can seat 20,000+. However, I've also heard the seats aren't great.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    232
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    No offense, but I've been to post Olympics worlds, and they are great as well. Yes, some competitors may not come, but it is still a wonderful competition. And besides, Japan has certainly played host to a lot of wonderful skating events in the past decade, a post-Olympics Worlds isn't too much of a let down, I should think.
    I totally agree. 2006 worlds in Calgary has always been extremely memorable to me.

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Also, the official announcment on Plushenko's reinstatement.....ISU Council agreed to reinstate the Russian Figure Skater Mr. Evgeni Plushenko with immediate effect who will therefore be allowed to compete again in ISU sanctioned competitions including the Olympic Winter Games.
    Some FSUers are going to be very, very depressed this weekend. If anything, this adds a bit of spice to Men's eligible skating.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Osaka, Japan
    Posts
    743
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the information.
    Japan always welcomes anyone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •