Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Figure Spins, the video on one of your links----her skating speed and the speed of her spins makes today's skaters look like they are skating on molasses!!! lol

vCash
    Sonja Henie's skating or Carol Heiss'?

I think Heiss could have held her own today, but Henie might have been outskated by some of today's competitors. (Maybe even out-acted!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    UPDATE: I found the gold dress with the red stars on Henie:

http://www.squidoo.com/sonja-henie
    http://i3.squidoocdn.com/resize/squi...ie-feather.jpg

It had a headdress too. Did the Paley center display show the headpieces, operagirl?
    There were no headpieces. Love that you found the picture! The people at the auction don't have it!!!

vCash
    Too bad about the missing headpieces. The bidder would have been much higher if the auction included the full costume.

That "squidoo" site was fascinating - lots of great photos. I just stumbled across it in an internet search.

I also found that Sonja's dresses go up for auction regularly, and for big bucks: over $1k for dress, headpiece, and skates.
    http://www.julienslive.com/view-auct...id/6/lot/1420/

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auct...id/6/lot/1421/
    (This one looks a bit bogus: cowboy boots? Really?)

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auct...id/6/lot/1422/

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auct...id/6/lot/1423/

Not an costume photo but I like the image on this page:
    http://www.factmonster.com/spot/wint...ics-henie.html
    Sonja skating hand-in-hand with Dick Button - cute!

I think I'd rather have her Packard:

1934 Packard 1104 Rumble Seat Coupe Roadster – Older quality restoration, still in remarkably good show condition. Car runs extremely well. Originally owned by Olympic Gold Medal figure skater and Hollywood actress Sonja Henie. Seen in Woody Allen's 1999 Academy Award nominated movie "Sweet and Lowdown"
    http://www.rmauctions.com/PressRelease.cfm?PressID=487

It sold for over $138,000 back in 2005.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 06-16-2011 at 10:11 AM.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash

I also found that Sonja's dresses go up for auction regularly, and for big bucks: over $1k for dress, headpiece, and skates.
    http://www.julienslive.com/view-auct...id/6/lot/1420/
    I don't find $1000 "big buck" when you're getting three things out of it. Sonia's stuff isn't worth much in the grand scheme of Hollywood.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    It would cost much more to replicate them, today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    It would cost much more to replicate them, today.
    Especially the furred and feathered creations, right?

Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I don't find $1000 "big buck" when you're getting three things out of it. Sonia's stuff isn't worth much in the grand scheme of Hollywood.
    Yes, but the current auction has an opening bid of $800 for two dresses (without headpiece) and a pair of CCM skates. By comparison, the completed auctions for a single dress, headpiece and skates are more pricey. In comparison to buying Judy Garland's pinafore from "The Wizard of Oz," there's no comparison. In a very small niche, $800 for the current auction is a bargain. I really am curious to see what the winning bid will be, although I still question the cream-colored dress' authenticity.

I don't think Sonja's contributions to Hollywood were insignificant. There were several copycats and her business acumen inspired other ventures, such as Esther Williams' swimming shows and movies. Esther gives Sonja a lot of credit (and a bit of cheek) in her autobiography.

More importantly, Sonja brought figure skating to the masses. She didn't expect to be nominated for acting awards, but she reached her goal of becoming a Star! She had a great impact on many people. Her biography makes it seem like they didn't like her in Hollywood, though, so you're right about that.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 06-16-2011 at 06:24 PM.

vCash
    Trying to keep myself from bidding on a Henie dress...got to pay the mortgage...must have dress...got to pay the mortgage...

vCash
    Be strong - pay the mortgage!

Get a picture of the dress and order a replica of the dress from the Chinese eBay sellers for $35.
    (They'd probably throw in a headpiece and boot covers, too, for a little extra.)

Or get a print of Sonja in the complete getup and have it framed for your wall. Voila! No cold storage fees.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 06-17-2011 at 03:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by operagirl View Post
    The studio costume departments were constantly recycling wardrobe.
    A lot of the numbers Sonja skated in her films were the same ones she was skating in her ice show, so I doubt that the studio owned the costumes she wore in the films.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    A lot of the numbers Sonja skated in her films were the same ones she was skating in her ice show, so I doubt that the studio owned the costumes she wore in the films.
    I didn't know that. That explains why her biography says that 20th Century Fox paid for the show costumes. I guess she could have brought them back to the studio for the filming.

I wish I had a connection to Carol Heiss, to ask her about the cream-colored dress. Something like: "Did you wear Henie's hand-me-downs in the "Snow White" movie? How did they get it to fit so nicely?" would be good.

vCash
    I can ask Carol at Skate Detroit. PM me what excatly you want to know and I will get you an answer! BTW she is such a nice lady!

vCash
    I didn't know that. That explains why her biography says that 20th Century Fox paid for the show costumes. I guess she could have brought them back to the studio for the filming.

I wish I had a connection to Carol Heiss, to ask her about the cream-colored dress. Something like: "Did you wear Henie's hand-me-downs in the "Snow White" movie? How did they get it to fit so nicely?" would be good.
    Carol coaches at Lakewood, Ohio. It shouldn't be too hard to find the name of the training facilities there and to send her a letter there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    I can ask Carol at Skate Detroit. PM me what excatly you want to know and I will get you an answer! BTW she is such a nice lady!
    She seems nice. She may not want to talk about that movie; I've never seen an interview with her about her Hollywood experience. I sent you a PM. If she doesn't want to talk about the dress, that's fine. The auction will be over by then anyway, but I was just curious.

vCash
    Interesting ... that item doesn't exist anymore. Maybe they found the headpieces? (Hope so!)

http://www.icollector.com/Two-skatin...hows_i10658053

vCash
    It would be so much fun to own one of those - although completely impractical for me. I remember getting to wear costumes that had been used in Sun Valley Serenade for a group number I skated in one of the SV summer ice shows one year, sometime between 1989-1991. They were really heavy, totally gorgeous, and SO much fun! We felt very glamorous.

vCash
    UPDATE --- The clothes were pulled from the auction, I don't know why. Perhaps they did recieve an email about the dress being from Snow White, and decided to authenticate and offer later.

vCash
    Rats! I was hoping they were upgrading it to include other parts of the costumes or the image of Sonja wearing the gold-star-spangled dress.

I found pictures of Weiss in the cream-colored dress. In addition to the little crown headpiece, there was a fur muff that went with the outfit.
    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqN,!jM...)m,nS!~~_3.JPG

I think they've been auctioning lots regularly, so hopefully the dresses will go back on the block again soon.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 06-20-2011 at 02:38 PM.

vCash
    Spoke to Carol this week and asked her about the dress. She said she has been asked this before. The dress is a copy of Sonja's. When they were looking for a costume they saw the picture of the dress and copied it. She has no idea where it went to.

vCash
    Wow, Henie's rotation on the spins was so fast!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12