Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

USA Television Rights for Olympic Coverage

Media Outlet has been selected. IOC to announce an agreement for the Olympic broadcast rights in the USA at 11 a.m. PT/ 2 p.m. ET

BREAKING: AP says that NBC/Comcast has won the Olympic Games for 2014, 2016, 2018 & 2020

ESPN Sports Center and U.S. Figure Skating both tweet same news.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    NBC Wins Olympic TV Rights through 2020. NBC wins Olympic TV rights through 2020Broadcaster lands rights in deal for four games

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43311618/ns/sports-olympic_sports/
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash

NBC wins Olys...again

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/sp...pics.html?_r=1

Sigh. Perhaps NBC will recruit some better skating commentators for the next two winter games. One can hope, anyway.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Eys, let's give Tara a shot!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Maybe the commentators should have coaches, like the skaters? Can you see Dick button as a commentator coach?

"Mention the free leg! Mention the free leg!!!"

vCash
    Meh. The Goon Platoon and its Advertisements Jamboree continue through 2020. I guess I'll have to continue to vacation in Canada during Olympics for the next 9 years to get halfway-decent TV coverage that has more sports than ads.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Meh. The Goon Platoon and its Advertisements Jamboree continue through 2020. I guess I'll have to continue to vacation in Canada during Olympics for the next 9 years to get halfway-decent TV coverage that has more sports than ads.
    Only during 5 of them, really...
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Only during 5 of them, really...
    Yeah, that's all. Well, Megabus takes me cheaply to Toronto, where I can schlep at a friend's house and happily record gymnastics or figure skating as it happens...not having to wait for it to be spoon-fed by Bob Costas at late-night, in between cuts to other sports and many ads, hours after the event takes place...with the focus only on US gymnasts or skaters.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Eys, let's give Tara a shot!
    Tara talks too much, imo.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I'm surprised given how much they lost on the Vancouver games, but I really like how they've expanded online coverage and coverage on multiple cable channels.

Given the cost of the Olympics, any provider was going to have many more commercials than I'd like to see, so I don't think NBC is really worse in terms of commercials than other channels. Fox was promising to have all live coverage (as well as packaged replays for the evenings), but since I'm at work during the day and couldn't watch most of the coverage, it probably wouldn't have made much difference. And I hope this means more Olympic Ice!
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    On a side note, we're now just under a month away from the announcement of the site for the 2018 Winter Olympics. The vote is scheduled to take place in Durban, South Africa, on Wednesday, July 6th.

GamesBids.com still indicates PyeongChang, South Korea as the front runner, scoring 66.29 in their "BidIndex". Munich, Germany is a close second at 64.99, while Annecy, France is a somewhat distant third at 53.85.

vCash
    Just Tweeted by Philip Hersh: NBC says it will make every event available live on one platform or another.

Confirmed: "We will make every event, on one platform or another, live." - Mark Lazarus, NBC, on #NBCUniversal coverage of Oly Games
    Last edited by Visaliakid; 06-07-2011 at 07:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    Just Tweeted by Philip Hersh: NBC says it will make every event available live on one platform or another
    If that's true - wonderful!
    I'm one of those who doesn't mind setting the alarm, if needed, to watch,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    On a side note, we're now just under a month away from the announcement of the site for the 2018 Winter Olympics. The vote is scheduled to take place in Durban, South Africa, on Wednesday, July 6th.

GamesBids.com still indicates PyeongChang, South Korea as the front runner, scoring 66.29 in their "BidIndex". Munich, Germany is a close second at 64.99, while Annecy, France is a somewhat distant third at 53.85.
    South Korea is fine with me for 2018. I think it's time for them to come back to North America. Maybe 2022.

The news about NBC is interesting. With Dick Ebersol NBC leaving a month ago, there was a lot of speculation that FOX or ESPN might spend the money to get the Olympics. Also, given that NBC lost money (about 25%) on the Vancouver Games, some articles speculated that Comcast (NBC's owner) would be more conservative than GE (NBC's former owner). I wonder if the winning bid includes some sort of provision for future losses of revenue.

vCash
    NBC's coverage of everything is so bad. They create stories and then run them into the ground with overplay. It's happened over and over. They should have live internet coverage with no commentary.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    NBC's coverage of everything is so bad. They create stories and then run them into the ground with overplay. It's happened over and over. They should have live internet coverage with no commentary.
    So go to work for the network and convince them to broadcast the events that way and find a way to pay for it. I know you have it in you to accomplish this.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post

i'm really hoping munich prevails. excuse for the term but frack (can't type the actual word here) new frontiers argument if that's all they have going for them. i'm really hoping sporting traditions prevail rather than something else.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Sigh. Perhaps NBC will recruit some better skating commentators for the next two winter games. One can hope, anyway.
    Not holding my breath. More Scott and Sandra.

If either one of them gets laryngitis, I'll do it. I'm cheaper!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I liked Johnny, Peter, and Tara on Universal Sports. They just said what they liked and what they didn't like and why. When Universal Sports didn't have anyone to cover events they just showed them without commentary which was better than having some commentator who didn't know anything about skating (Andrea Joyce) chatter away about how cute and pretty the skaters were.

All I ask is that I get to hear the music!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    Just Tweeted by Philip Hersh: NBC says it will make every event available live on one platform or another.

Confirmed: "We will make every event, on one platform or another, live." - Mark Lazarus, NBC, on #NBCUniversal coverage of Oly Games
    That would be nice! My husband likes Scott's commentating and on air skategasms, thinks it's entertaining. I dunno about that but am certainly annoyed by Sandra.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast