Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44
  1. #21
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,617
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16087
    Emily tweeted a pic from the arena, so at least she made it to Columbus.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    377
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sarah seems to have made it to Columbus. No word from Johnny since his last tweet about "crew rest." Hopefully he's in the air. It would be too late to drive now.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,061
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2109
    Johnny's fan Facebook page has photos of him on the ice in Columbus so he made it safe and sound!

  4. #24
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,617
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16087
    Too tired write a detailed report, but a few highlights.

    The Show was a great time and they do a wonderful job of combining the headliners with the non-elite skater numbers. Lots of cute kids and older skaters who all seemed to be having a lot of fun.

    Emily Samuelson, Caitlyn, Rachael and (I think Alexe) did a great job with All The Single Ladies. Very cute number and they all looked fantastic. Emily had her hair down and could really vamp it up. Caitlyn was gorgeous, as always.

    Johnny was the only headliner to do two solos - His first to Ave Maria and the second to an upbeat song (Bad Romance?). I knew what trouble he had getting there, and then they had him do the autographs and photos for the VIP ticketholders. The poor guy must have been exhausted, but he was fantastic and got the biggest audience reaction.

    Rachael did her East of Eden short and Ryan did his Willie Wonka exhibition (he had trouble with his jumps, but the crowd loves him). Emily Hughes skated to Adele, and Sarah skated to a song I don't remember. Each Hughes sister introduced the other (although Sarah introduced Emily as a 2010 Olympian but then laughed and corrected herself).

    Rockne and Mary Beth skated to I Just Haven't Met You Yet and did a good job. John and Caydee skated to a Mambo #5 exhibition. Marcy Hinzman and Lee Harris did something I think is called I'm the Candy Man (not he Sammy Davis Candy Man) and go a big reaction to a move where he spins her on his head. Lee seems like he'd be a great coach for little kids. He was doing some simple pairs moves with a number of the younger skaters and they were all thrilled. He really seemed to be having a good time interacting with the kids.

    The pairs teams also did a group number that involved having a Jegs (the title sponsor) car on the ice. At the end, the guys skated over and took a young girl from the drivers seat (I think the daughter of the couple who own Jegs) and did some pairs moves with her.

    After each of the headliners skated, a young flower girl came and brought the headliner a bouquet of flowers. A big pedal from the flowers for Johnny fell on the ice, and nobody seemed to notice it. Emily Hughes came out to introduce Sarah and Sarah skated with the pedal on the ice, but luckily she never hit it. The finale was next, and as Rachael came out with the first group for the finale, she skated over and picked up the pedal which made me relax.

    A really fun show for a great cause. It was very touching how many of the headliners had family in attendance who had dealt with cancer and to see them bring flowers to their affected family member after they performed.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    212
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    . . .

    Emily Samuelson, Caitlyn, Rachael and (I think Alexe) did a great job with All The Single Ladies. Very cute number and they all looked fantastic. Emily had her hair down and could really vamp it up. Caitlyn was gorgeous, as always.

    All The Single Ladies group number. That is hilarious, especially if the Samuelson/Bates rumor turns out to be true. Was he there?

  6. #26
    Go Team SW Florida! =)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,884
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    448
    GK-I looked everywhere for you but never saw you there! We were in section 114 down in the fourth row just in case you were around me somewhere. Sorry I missed you!

    The show was really fun. I'm exhausted too from the driving (two hours there and two hours home with the three plus hour show in between ) but I agree with GK that everyone looked like they were having a great time. I loved Ryan Bradley's program and Johnny never fails to entertain (his second number was Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and it was awesome). Lee and Marcy were wonderful and you can tell they love to entertain. They were also two of the only 'senior' level skaters who weren't uncomfortable with a smaller ice surface thanks to their cruise ship experience. Joshua Ferris was wonderful! He apparently choreographed his own number (it was a John Maier song but I can't remember the title) and he's becoming a skater who seems to be a cross between Todd Eldredge and Jeremy Abbott (style + jumps). He's fully healed from his injuries at US Nats and apparently has a pretty consistant quad now! I talked to someone nearby who knows Joshua and she filled me in on how he's doing. Glad to hear that he's better. GK covered most of the other programs from the headliners but besides just the group number, Alexe also did a solo to a live vocalist (some woman from Columbus) who sang a song that I believe was the title song from the most recent Narnia movie. It was a pretty song and Alexe skated pretty well too.

    We ended up sitting next to Caydee's grandparents which was quite fun through the show. We talked about all our skating adventures (grandma went to Vancouver to see Caydee skate there) and I helped her not freak out too much during John & Caydee's number (they did a few tricks that, I'm sorry, were a little too dangerous for a new team to be doing this early). They were both very sweet and after the show was over, she was worried she'd have to get in an autograph line to talk to Caydee because all the little kids were hounding them, LOL

    My mom and I got to speak to Caitlyn briefly after the show was over and she remembered meeting both of us at previous competitions. I wasn't sure if she would or not but she did and was adorable and very nice to both of us. We got pictures with her and told her we were pulling for her to find a great partner. She is seriously one of the sweetest people and holy crap, someone please find this girl an awesome pairs partner!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

    "I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

  7. #27
    Go Team SW Florida! =)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,884
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by just wondering View Post
    All The Single Ladies group number. That is hilarious, especially if the Samuelson/Bates rumor turns out to be true. Was he there?
    It was a really cute number and the girls were all having a blast.

    Evan was not there so read into that what you will but I'm thinking those rumors are probably true. Mad kudos to Emily for coming and performing tonight if the split does turn out to be true.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

    "I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

  8. #28
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,617
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16087
    I realized after I turned off the computer that I had forgotten Alexe and Joshua. I think Joshua's program was to Gravity and Alexe did a good job skating to the live vocals which isn't always easy to do (or so I hear, not that I'm ever doing it )

    During the warm up before the show, a lot of the young skaters who were in the show were in the audience, and when the headliners went by, the young skaters would often put out their hands like in a "skate around". Joshua was very cute and practically every time he went by would high five the young skaters sending many into a giggling frenzy. Sarah Hughes was also very good natured in high fiving the young skaters multiple times.

    Sorry I missed you, Heather. I was on the opposite side of the arena and I'm glad to say the show was very well attended. One end was blocked off, and the other end was sparsely populated, but both sides looked about 80-90% full. I hope they raised a lot of money because it was clear a lot of work went into the show.

    After the show, most of the skaters stayed on the ice for a long time signing autographs and posing for pictures. The only one who didn't come out was Johnny, but given his travel early that morning (after a frustrating evening at the airport the night before), and his meet and greet before the show, I don't blame him at all. The guy must have been exhausted, but he really went all out during his numbers and the crowd loved it.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  9. #29
    Reality TV's Bytch
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oblivion
    Posts
    1,813
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    It was a really cute number and the girls were all having a blast.

    Evan was not there so read into that what you will but I'm thinking those rumors are probably true. Mad kudos to Emily for coming and performing tonight if the split does turn out to be true.
    Maybe Evan just wasn't ready. He has been off ice for a long time. I wouldn't worry about them yet based on one person's comment.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,576
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the reviews. Sounds like it was a great show for a worthy cause. Glad to hear that Johnny, Emily, & Sarah made it despite the airport/flight problems.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,527
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2011
    Thank you for the reviews. Glad you all enjoyed the show.

    I hope the rumors are not true about Samuelson/Bates.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    497
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I also attended the show, it was a lot of fun! Just a few more things that haven't been mentioned:

    I talked to Emily Samuelson after the show and asked how Evan was doing. She said that he's on the ice, but when I asked her if they are going to skate this season she said that she hopes so but things are still up in the air and she isn't completely sure what's going to happen in the future. Take that as you will, she seemed pretty doubtful to be honest, but seemed to be more unsure because of his injury than other factors that she did not allude to at all.

    I think Ryan Bradley attempted a 3A and 4T, he fell on the 4T and flipped out of the 3A. Major kudos to him for attempting them though! Rachael fell on a 3Lo but hit her 2A. Sarah Hughes didn't attempt any jumps, and had a lot of fringe on her costume. She looked like she was definitely enjoying her first (?) public performance for awhile, but she was definitely a little rusty on her spins.

    Emily Hughes did a 2F and 2A and is always a favorite since she has performed in the show for years. I was really impressed by Joshua Farris who skated with a lot of feeling and had really nice spins.

    Marley/Brubaker looked pretty good together, but she does look extremely young, especially when all of the skaters were standing together at the end of the show. They did t3S and some lifts, which looked okay but not spectacular. Rockne did a number with the young daughter of the owner of Jegs, one of the sponsering companies. It was pretty cute, but it felt like the first half of the show was more about her than anything else. They gave her a big trophy during the Jegs number, LOL.

    Denney/Coughlin did 3twists a couple times, looked a tiny bit messy coming out but hit them. She fell pretty hard on a t3L during their program, but hit it a little later. A lot of their small dance lift moves that they did looked fine but she was pretty awkward looking coming out of them (bent knees and such). They looked pretty good for a new team, and you could tell they had good chemistry.

    The "Single Ladies" number was a lot of fun! Whenever I saw her, Caitlin looked like she was having a lot of fun but there was no interaction between her and Caydee/John. I definitely hope that she finds a new partner soon, she is a gorgeous skater!

    ETA: Johnny did a good job, he definitely looked a little shaky during his "Ave Maria" number that he performed first, like his skates weren't really feeling the ice very well. His "Bad Romance" performance was well-received, he definitely put the attitude into it and looked a lot better. He did a couple 3T. He didn't stay very long after the show; the show director/president said that it was the anniversary of his grandfather's death and he wanted to go be with his mother.
    Last edited by teeveedee; 06-19-2011 at 07:30 PM.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    308
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I realized after I turned off the computer that I had forgotten Alexe and Joshua. I think Joshua's program was to Gravity and Alexe did a good job skating to the live vocals which isn't always easy to do (or so I hear, not that I'm ever doing it )

    During the warm up before the show, a lot of the young skaters who were in the show were in the audience, and when the headliners went by, the young skaters would often put out their hands like in a "skate around". Joshua was very cute and practically every time he went by would high five the young skaters sending many into a giggling frenzy. Sarah Hughes was also very good natured in high fiving the young skaters multiple times.

    Sorry I missed you, Heather. I was on the opposite side of the arena and I'm glad to say the show was very well attended. One end was blocked off, and the other end was sparsely populated, but both sides looked about 80-90% full. I hope they raised a lot of money because it was clear a lot of work went into the show.

    After the show, most of the skaters stayed on the ice for a long time signing autographs and posing for pictures. The only one who didn't come out was Johnny, but given his travel early that morning (after a frustrating evening at the airport the night before), and his meet and greet before the show, I don't blame him at all. The guy must have been exhausted, but he really went all out during his numbers and the crowd loved it.
    Videos anyone?

    Sorry to hear that JW couldn't stay for the autograph session just following the show. In years past, there has been a meet n greet before the show,where the headliners have a chance to meet all the groups of skaters that participate, as well as some of the sponsors of the show, and some of those photos each year go up on SFH's website from the meet n greet event....giving the younger skaters a great chance to say hello and get a photo with one of their favorites.... Check out SFH's FB photo wall. Lots of great photos from past shows!

    From Alexe Gilles' FB page on Friday night...she said....
    Alexe Gilles
    Oo the joy of dancing to beyonce until 2 a.m.!!! So scattered but so fun! Channeling my fierceness!! :p
    Hope all the Single Ladies were fierce.

    Cudos again to everyone for what sounded to be another great SFH event! What a great cause!

  14. #34
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,617
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16087
    I think they still had a pre-show meet and greet for the young skaters (Sarah posted a pic from this year's on twitter).
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  15. #35
    Go Team SW Florida! =)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,884
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    448
    IIRC, Johnny did come out briefly during the post show stuff but he didn't stay too long. I think one of the other skaters (Rockne?!) had someone there who wanted to meet him so he came out to greet that person. He left after that but waved and blew kisses to the fans as he skated off. Everyone else pretty much stayed on the ice for quite some time talking to fans, signing autographs, and posing for photos. They were all great and if I hadn't had a two hour drive to get home, I might have stuck around longer to talk to a few of the others. It was still a great night though and I'm hoping I actually got some decent photos (the lighting was driving me crazy the entire evening ).
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

    "I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

  16. #36
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,709
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Was Jenny Needham-Wall (the adult skater) in the show this year?
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  17. #37
    Go Team SW Florida! =)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,884
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Was Jenny Needham-Wall (the adult skater) in the show this year?
    I don't remember for sure but the name sounds familiar. I'll have to check the program.

    BTW-I didn't do any videos here because I had a somewhat tall person in front of me and I could barely get any photos much less do videos of the programs.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

    "I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,134
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by teeveedee View Post
    I also attended the show, it was a lot of fun! Just a few more things that haven't been mentioned:

    I talked to Emily Samuelson after the show and asked how Evan was doing. She said that he's on the ice, but when I asked her if they are going to skate this season she said that she hopes so but things are still up in the air and she isn't completely sure what's going to happen in the future. Take that as you will, she seemed pretty doubtful to be honest, but seemed to be more unsure because of his injury than other factors that she did not allude to at all.

    I think Ryan Bradley attempted a 3A and 4T, he fell on the 4T and flipped out of the 3A. Major kudos to him for attempting them though! Rachael fell on a 3Lo but hit her 2A. Sarah Hughes didn't attempt any jumps, and had a lot of fringe on her costume. She looked like she was definitely enjoying her first (?) public performance for awhile, but she was definitely a little rusty on her spins.

    Emily Hughes did a 2F and 2A and is always a favorite since she has performed in the show for years. I was really impressed by Joshua Farris who skated with a lot of feeling and had really nice spins.

    Marley/Brubaker looked pretty good together, but she does look extremely young, especially when all of the skaters were standing together at the end of the show. They did t3S and some lifts, which looked okay but not spectacular. Rockne did a number with the young daughter of the owner of Jegs, one of the sponsering companies. It was pretty cute, but it felt like the first half of the show was more about her than anything else. They gave her a big trophy during the Jegs number, LOL.

    Denney/Coughlin did 3twists a couple times, looked a tiny bit messy coming out but hit them. She fell pretty hard on a t3L during their program, but hit it a little later. A lot of their small dance lift moves that they did looked fine but she was pretty awkward looking coming out of them (bent knees and such). They looked pretty good for a new team, and you could tell they had good chemistry.

    The "Single Ladies" number was a lot of fun! Whenever I saw her, Caitlin looked like she was having a lot of fun but there was no interaction between her and Caydee/John. I definitely hope that she finds a new partner soon, she is a gorgeous skater!

    ETA: Johnny did a good job, he definitely looked a little shaky during his "Ave Maria" number that he performed first, like his skates weren't really feeling the ice very well. His "Bad Romance" performance was well-received, he definitely put the attitude into it and looked a lot better. He did a couple 3T. He didn't stay very long after the show; the show director/president said that it was the anniversary of his grandfather's death and he wanted to go be with his mother.
    Thanks so much for backing up all this speculation with a primary source. This makes everything more clear. It really seems like Evan may not be fully recovered from his injury yet, and that's why it's so unclear regarding S/B.

  19. #39
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    1742
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Was Jenny Needham-Wall (the adult skater) in the show this year?
    No, she's recovering from knee surgery.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  20. #40
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    Thanks for the reports!

    Just found Johnny Weir's videos:
    "Ave Maria": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ydr_0dXe9k
    "Bad Romance": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7dhKzveybY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •