Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

vCash
    I saw 'Me and My Girl' in London in 1990. Story is about a poor cockney guy in England finding out he is the illegitimate son of a rich dead guy and is at the estate on a weekend with all the snobby relatives, set in the 1930s, I think. Lead actor was black, and was perfect for the part. I did not know the story, so at first not sure if it was his obnoxious tacky plaid suit the snobs reacted to or the color of his skin, or both. But the show was written back in the 30s, so I assume part meant for white man. But the actor was so good, after the first few seconds, I think no one saw his color, and was rooting for him to win over the snobs and get the inheritance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Getting further OT here but ... the production of Billy Elliot I saw in London had a black (or half black) actor playing Billy. And white parents. Didn't make the slightest bit of difference as far as I was concerned. Unless race is a critical part of the character, it's far easier to suspend disbelief about that kind of characteristic in theatre than it is in film or television, IMO.
    Yeah, ITA. Black Sheila didn't bother me at all. Half-black Billy wouldn't bother me (nor would full-black Billy). I can only think of one time where I've felt that casting a different race than the "original" was weird, and that was Fiddler on the Roof.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleBway View Post
    Same. And the song is still stuck in my head. (I haven't seen the show... nor any of the other nominated shows )
    After hearing it, I bought the soundtrack.

However, not knowing the words, all it did was get Sound of Music's "I have Confidence" stuck in my head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I remember Julie Taymor discussing The Lion King on the PBS Broadway documentary, and she said to her, when black audiences see The Lion King, it was all about race and that it was a big deal when a black child sees a black actor playing a king while for white audiences, it's not about race at all.

I don't know if she's overstating the racial significance of The Lion King, but I do see her point. I personally do enjoy it when Asian actors get cast in roles that aren't Asian-specific just because it's not see that we can be thought of as being castable beyond racially-specific roles. Outside Broadway, I remember watching Mike White's Chuck and Buck, a small independent film. In it, featured Lupe Ontiveros (most people know her as playing the woman who killed Selena) and she was really fantastic in it. According to wikipedia (not sure how accurate this is but I tend to believe it), "she has said in multiple interviews she accepted the role even before seeing the script, solely on the basis of being asked to play a character who was not defined by Hispanic ethnicity."
    I don't really mind limiting a few of the characters to black actors, but in most casts, all of the ensemble performers -- the one who play the other animals -- are be black. That, I don't understand. Why can't a giraffe or bird be portrayed by a white actor? As for the lead and featured actors, the roles seem to be restricted by race. Timon, Pumbaa, Scar and Zazu tend to be played by white actors, while Simba, Mufasa, Nala, Rafiki and Sarabi appear to cast black actors. (That's the case in the NY, Las Vegas, and touring cast, so I don't think it's coincidence.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I don't really mind limiting a few of the characters to black actors, but in most casts, all of the ensemble performers -- the one who play the other animals -- are be black. That, I don't understand. Why can't a giraffe or bird be portrayed by a white actor? As for the lead and featured actors, the roles seem to be restricted by race. Timon, Pumbaa, Scar and Zazu tend to be played by white actors, while Simba, Mufasa, Nala, Rafiki and Sarabi appear to cast black actors. (That's the case in the NY, Las Vegas, and touring cast, so I don't think it's coincidence.)
    That's actually a really good question. I can't think of a good answer.
    Sorry to respond and not add anything to the conversation at hand.

So I'll make up for that by asking a question: what's the general consensus on Sutton Foster/Bobby Cannavale?

vCash
    Sutton Foster is God. Does that answer your question?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112