Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Tracy Morgan's Anti-Gay Tirade

This is actually getting ugly:

He made some comments during a stand-up act in front of a crowd of 2,000 ppl in Nashville:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_N...ashville_Show/

snip:

Audience member Kevin Rogers took to his Facebook page to describe the scene. Rogers said Morgan joked that “women are a gift from God and that ‘Born this Way’ is bullshit. Gay is a choice.” Morgan is said to have called gay people “mistakes.” Morgan said lesbians just hate men and don’t have real attraction to women, according to Rogers’s account.

On bullying in schools, Morgan is said to have advised gays to “quit being pussies” and stop whining. Then, Rogers said, Morgan talked about killing his son.

“He said if his son ... was gay he better come home and talk to him like a man and not [he mimicked a gay, high pitched voice] or he would pull out a knife and stab that little N (one word I refuse to use) to death,” Rogers wrote on Facebook.
    He eventually apologized, but ....

Tina Fey said she was disturbed by his rant:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_N...isappointment/

snip:

"The violent imagery of Tracy's rant was disturbing to me at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue for the GLBT Community," Fey says.

"It also doesn't line up with the Tracy Morgan I know, who is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and self-centered to ever hurt another person.

Fey, who is the mother of one child and is pregnant with her second, adds, "I hope for his sake that Tracy's apology will be accepted as sincere by his gay and lesbian co-workers at 30 Rock, without whom Tracy would not have lines to say, clothes to wear, sets to stand on, scene partners to act with, or a printed-out paycheck from accounting to put in his pocket."
    Yet, Chris Rock is defending Tracy Morgan's Right to say 'foul and inappropriate sh-t'

Comedian-actor Chris Rock has defended the controversial comments made by fellow comic actor Tracy Morgan via Twitter, saying "I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in world where Tracy Morgan cant say foul inappropriate shit."
    Wanda Sykes says it isn't free speech:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_N...an_on_Twitter/

snip:

Sykes compared Morgan’s statements – which included his insistence that he would kill his own son if he were an effeminate gay man – to speech that the Supreme Court has said can be rightfully barred.

“I do believe in free speech, but for a youth in TN or any other numerous place, Tracy just yelled, ‘Fire,’ in a crowded theater,” Sykes wrote.
    What do you think????
    Last edited by olympic; 06-11-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Well, philosophically, Chris Rock is of course right. It's a free country. The 'fire in a crowded theater' analogy doesn't work because you simply cannot hold someone responsible for another person's mental/emotional state.

However, more to the point: who the fcuk is Tracy Morgan?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Well, philosophically, Chris Rock is of course right. It's a free country. The 'fire in a crowded theater' analogy doesn't work because you simply cannot hold someone responsible for another person's mental/emotional state.

As long as Chris Rock has the same philosophy that anyone can say 'rude and inappropriate sh-t' about anyone, including racial minorities, and still shrug his shoulders, then he would at least be consistent but I find it hateful speech without any artistic merit. Not clever, not provocative. Just dumb

vCash
    I was kind of getting over Tina Fey (overexposure), but I like her comments re: this. Of course, I don't know why she (or Lorne Michaels) ever made that untalented idiot famous to begin with ...

vCash
    Tracy is a gay name for a man.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Interesting. I've never watched him on Saturday Night Live, but the few times I've seen him on TV, I always thought *he* was gay.

It had nothing to do with his name, however - I know too many "Tracys" and even "Stacys" that are guys. Had it been "Lacey," however, he'd have been a dead duck.

vCash
    It concerns me that Chris Rock doesn't see the difference between saying really inappropriate things in a comedy routine and saying that you would stab your son to death if he was effeminate. And while freedom of speech does protect such things, it doesn't make it okay to say something like that. So, he can say it all he wants, but he should also be prepared to suffer any consequences related to his statements.

I know a couple of people who were at the show and they left after the comment. Neither of those people are gay, but they just didn't want to be associated with such a statement.

Kudos to Tina Fey though.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Interesting. I've never watched him on Saturday Night Live, but the few times I've seen him on TV, I always thought *he* was gay.
    Same here. I've been just waiting for him to come out.

Openly gay actor George Takei also took to Twitter to express outrage: 'In stand-up rant, Tracy Morgan threatened to kill his son if he were gay,' he tweeted, adding, 'I suspect his dad is next for naming him 'Tracy.'

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Who is Tracy Morgan?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Who is Tracy Morgan?
    Actor on Tina Fey's show, 30 Rock

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Actor on Tina Fey's show, 30 Rock
    What a nice guy.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have always been the type of person to stand up for comedians when they get in trouble. It is their job to say offensive but funny things. It is almost impossible for a comedian to do a good stand up routine without saying something that someone can find offensive. You have to know it is all a joke. HOWEVER, this case is so very different. What he said was DISGUSTING. It went way too far and it went from being a joke to being, exactly as the OP said, a tirade. I have never ever liked Tracy Morgan and have never thought he was the least bit funny. This little act doesn't help and I will never like him.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I don't watch 30 Rock, but TM used to be on Saturday Night Live. I never thought he was funny or memorable. I think people who aren't all that talented resort to saying offensive stuff in hopes of seeming "edgy" and getting attention. It's also frustrating to see him playing into all the usual black stereotypes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    TM doth protest much?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    What if you replaced "gay" with "African-American" or "Jewish"?

Some of Tracy Morgan's act:

Women are a gift from God and that ‘Born this Way’ is bullshit. Gay is a choice. Gay people are mistakes. Lesbians just hate men and don’t have real attraction to women. Gays should quit being pussies and stop whining.

If my son ... was gay he better come home and talk like a man and not [mimicking a gay, high pitched voice] or I would pull out a knife and stab that little n***** to death.
    And if we switch it up:

White people are a gift from God and that ‘Black Is Beautiful’ is bullshit. African-Americans choose to be like that. Black people are mistakes. Black people hate whites... Black people should quit being pussies and stop whining.

If my son ... wanted anything to do with Blacks he better come home and talk to me like a human and not [mimicking a ghetto, hip-hop hustler voice] or I would pull out a knife and stab that little n***** to death.
    So Chris Rock, would you support Michael Richards delivering this "comedy" make-over? Stand beside Mr. Richards, put your arm around him and tell the world you stand beside him 100%?

Seriously?

Tracy Morgan is an Emmy-nominated actor on the critically acclaimed "30 Rock" which just finished its sixth season. Morgan was a cast member of Saturday Night Live for seven years and starred in at least three other television shows. He has starred in twenty-two major motion pictures including Cop Out, The Other Guys, Death At A Funeral, Rio and The Longest Yard. He is an author and has also hosted awards shows as well as weekly television programs.

(Wikipedia is your friend.)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Thank you Tina Fey...I wish I could live a day with your brain...

vCash
    I don't watch him - never have, never will.

All of the awards and right to "free speech" in the world don't prevent him from being offensive. dangerous; and a "jerk".

following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash
    Is this true? What is psychological or mental abuse, then? I'm not purposefully trying to be obtuse, I'm just not sure what you're saying is true.

Further, I think we have to consider the social atmosphere that is encouraged by these kinds of words/sentiments expressed publicly by a public figure. Even if your statement about there being no accountability for the mental state of others is true, what about contributing to/fueling social belief systems which encourage or expect -- or even turn a blind eye to-- the persecution of LGBTQ folks?

I do agree that Tracy Morgan should be allowed to say these particular things, but I also think that he should be roundly criticized for saying them.

The article does explain his celebrity status.

vCash
    I think Wanda Skyes pretty much summed up my feelings about Chris Rock and Roland Martin's defense of Tracy:

"Tracy has the right to say whatever he wants to say, just like we have the right to say, not acceptable.,” and, “WE as a country. We used to picnic to watch public hangings, but WE figured out, that was some sick shit."
    I can't express how wonderful and important it is to have a perspective like Wanda's--a gay woman of color--in pop culture discourse right now. She provides a unique voice and authority on the experiences of a subculture that's rarely heard in the mainstream, in addition to being a highly visible point of reference to the broader African-American community about LGBT blacks and how they see and perceive a lot of the explicit and implicit homophobia often perpetuated in their own communities.

I doubt Rock and Martin would be so quick to defend Tracy if they really thought about what he said through their friend's perspective.

I also have to give kudos to Tina Fey for her deftly worded statement. That was, in no uncertain terms, a huge warning to Morgan if you read between the lines.

Personally, I have never understood Tracy's appeal. I never thought he was funny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    I think Wanda Skyes pretty much summed up my feelings about Chris Rock and Roland Martin's defense of Tracy:

I can't express how wonderful and important it is to have a perspective like Wanda's--a gay woman of color--in pop culture discourse right now. She provides a unique voice and authority on the experiences of a subculture that's rarely heard in the mainstream, in addition to being a highly visible point of reference to the broader African-American community about LGBT blacks and how they see and perceive a lot of the explicit and implicit homophobia often perpetuated in their own communities.

I doubt Rock and Martin would be so quick to defend Tracy if they really thought about what he said through their friend's perspective.

I also have to give kudos to Tina Fey for her deftly worded statement. That was, in no uncertain terms, a huge warning to Morgan if you read between the lines.

Personally, I have never understood Tracy's appeal. I never thought he was funny.
    I'm glad Wanda spoke up too - I like her and liked what she had to say about this. Count me as one who has enjoyed Tracy's performances on SNL and 40 Rock, and now as one who is disappointed that he'd make such statements. How immature and hateful. Just like Michael Richards, my perception of him has changed and he's lost a fan in me.

vCash
    onally, I have never understood Tracy's appeal. I never thought he was funny.
    Neither have I. I think anything humorous about him comes from the fact that he always seems like a dumbass. This tirade proves that he's not just a dumbass, but a hateful one.

I applaud both Wanda Sykes and Tina Fey for speaking out against Tracy Morgan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast