Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    He won the 1987 junior world title in singles and the 1988 title in pairs.
    But it wasn't until 1996 that he won the senior Nationals and World bronze medal in mens singles

vCash
    Exactly.

My question is, does someone who did have success in juniors and then went a decade before finding success in seniors count as a late bloomer?

In Galindo's case the question is complicated because he did have a few years of senior pairs success in between there.

vCash
    Exactly.

My question is, does someone who did have success in juniors and then went a decade before finding success in seniors count as a late bloomer?

In Galindo's case the question is complicated because he did have a few years of senior pairs success in between there.
    I guess I'm on the fence about that. I don't count success as a junior as being the same as success as a senior. Most juniors who do well never move up and have success as seniors and most seniors who do well never did well in juniors if they were ever in juniors to start off with.

Rudy did do well after him any Yamaguchi broke up, he did OK. I wouldn't say he was a late bloomer in 1996, I would say he was an "only bloomer" he burst out at nationals and worlds and then retired. Maybe he thought he would never duplicate his 1996 success though the Olympic years and didn't bother trying.

Look at the World Jr Championships in 2000, it's funny to see to where some ended up then and where they are now.

2000 WC JR

vCash
    He won the 1987 junior world title in singles and the 1988 title in pairs.
    Thanks for the correction.

vCash
    I thjink you can consider Laura Lepistö a late bloomer since she did her GP debut at the age of 19.

vCash
    Exactly.

Ooops, tough question, you're right.
    I guess the difference is that I didn't follow Rudy's or Paul's skating when they were juniors. lol
    But I've followed Yannick's career since his junior years. And we know he was already very very good as a junior, and very promising. Also, he won the LP at Euros, finishing 4th overall. Which is already a good achievement as a senior.

vCash
    I sort of don't get why people consider Jeremy a late bloomer, because, to be frank, he hasn't had great results since switching to Yuka and Jason. He won the GPF and his first national title under Tom, not that his first national title was all that impressive as his FS was error-ridden and he basically won because everyone else save Mrozzz skated like crap that year. So he won nationals in 2010 and skated great there, but that's been his only big accomplishment he's had since switching coaches, I mean 5th at 10 Worlds was pretty good and he had a solid FS at the 09 GPF but still only finished 4th there, and then this season he was a bit of a trainwreck save 4CC. I am a big fan of Jeremy's skating and think he is very talented, but to me, he hasn't really had a breakthrough on the international stage yet. He has what it takes, but has yet to prove that he's one of the Worlds top skaters IMO. Now if he could go on to medal at Worlds and/or win at 4CC or the GPF (again) in the coming season or two, then I would consider him a late bloomer and a top contender internationally, but I think we're all waiting/hoping for that day to happen...

vCash
    Jeremy isn't a World champion or Olympic medalist, but considering that he didn't even qualify for Nationals in 2006, I think it's pretty impressive that he managed to win Nationals in 2010 by twenty-five points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    Jeremy isn't a World champion or Olympic medalist, but considering that he didn't even qualify for Nationals in 2006, I think it's pretty impressive that he managed to win Nationals in 2010 by twenty-five points.
    I didn't know that! Then yeah, that's a huge improvement in a short period of time. My bad. I still think he's been underachieving these past few seasons though, so much talent, but something always seems to go wrong in competition. He's a lot like Tomas Verner....I'm still hoping that they both manage to medal at Worlds before they retire, but idk if i'm just overestimating their abilities and the hope is too quixotic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123