Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I just finished reading The House in Paris by Elizabeth Bowen. It wasn't outstanding, but definitely enjoyable. Her style reminds me a bit of Virginia Woolf and Henry James, two authors I adore.

I also did a quick reread of Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson, a favorite of mine. The author really manages to capture what it feels like to be a girl in her mid-teens without being obvious or preachy. It's also set during World War Two and on an island, a time period and setting I'm drawn to.

I'm also still reading Atlas Shrugged, which was hard to get into but is becoming more intriguing.

Ah, I love being a college student during the summer and having so much time to read whatever I want.

vCash
    Thanks for the replies re Guernsey Literary.... My friend and I like a lot of the same authors/genres/periods, but with some books (Red Tent being one) we're poles apart.

Still slogging through The Way of an Eagle, wondering why Virago Modern Classics decided to reprint it. Our Heroine stopped taking opium back in Chaper Four, so she no longer has an excuse for being stupid and annoying. I think this one is destined for the donation box.

ETA: Death of the Heart by Elizabeth Bowen is really good.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I would like to say that as much as I am loving Under The Dome, it is a damn heavy book and since I like to read while lying on my back, my arms get tired and I have to start reading. And I want to keep reading...

Should've gotten in on the reader on my iPad. But ONLY this book.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Should've gotten in on the reader on my iPad. But ONLY this book.
    One step down the path to perdition is all it usually takes.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    One step down the path to perdition is all it usually takes.
    You're working hard to become the ultimate corruptor, aren't you?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    The HP books will become e versions soon. I think this is all part of Prancer's evil scheme to rule the world.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    I just finished reading An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin. Now I am really enjoying Mathilda Savitch by Victor Lodato - a coming of age story about a girl with a murdered sister.

Since it's summer, I also have to read at least one rock and roll biography.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The HP books will become e versions soon.
    Yes, I spotted that "Pottermore" announcement today too. At first I was confused, since I already have books 1-5 in e-book version ... but then I realized the ones I have are not exactly kosher.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    You're working hard to become the ultimate corruptor, aren't you?
    I don't have to work hard; I just have to watch and wait.

Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The HP books will become e versions soon. I think this is all part of Prancer's evil scheme to rule the world.
    Are they going to offer enhanced content? The Potter books seem very likely candidates.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I started The Doctor's Wife by Elizabeth Brundage on a plane this morning and am close to finishing it. The characters are all kind of annoying and the book is a bit preachy on the whole abortion issue, but the plot is interesting and I can't put it down, so I'd give it a recommendation for when you're wanting a quick thriller.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Debating whether to take A Severed Head on vacation with me. Regardless, I am taking a JCO (I have lots to choose from ), Hotel Du Lac and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, the last two were recommended by Nomad.

Leaving for vacation tomorrow. Hate, hate, hate flying.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I just finished reading Sisterhood Everlasting, Ann Brashares' "adult" novel about the girls of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series all grown up and on the verge of turning 30. The first third of the novel is so depressing that I actually had to put it down and stop reading for a day, but the rest, I read in one shot. Some definite "WTF???" moments and minor character inconsistencies, and some plot twists that will anger fans of the original YA series, but it's worth reading because when Brashares is at her best, she manages to capture tiny moments in beautiful pieces of writing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I don't have to work hard; I just have to watch and wait.
    So says the spider...

vCash
    I finished "Dead Reckoning" and started Katherine Stockett's "The Help." I bought it for $1 at a church sale only because I know it's in high demand on the paperback swap site, then figured, what the heck, I'll read it first, since if so many people want it, it can't be too bad, right?

It's actually not bad, although I had to read some of Aibilene's phrases out loud to understand how she means the words to sound. And having been a Yankee white child in 1962, I'm finding the perspectives of Southern black women educational. It's worth $1 anyway.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I just found Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series. I just finished book 6, and am happy that there are 10 more in the series. This is definitely a summer than I need quantities of escapist guilty pleasure reading.

vCash
    @ the potential of packing 'a severed head'. Sounds like a charming, light romantic book?

"The Devil Colony" just arrived today. Book 7 in the Sigma series by James Rollins. Best way I can describe his writing is 'ecological/political/historical what if' type of books. I plan to spend the weekend reading. Can't wait!

Also re-reading Deathly Hallows in preparation for the final HP movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dramagrrl View Post
    I just finished reading Sisterhood Everlasting, Ann Brashares' "adult" novel about the girls of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series all grown up and on the verge of turning 30. The first third of the novel is so depressing that I actually had to put it down and stop reading for a day, but the rest, I read in one shot. Some definite "WTF???" moments and minor character inconsistencies, and some plot twists that will anger fans of the original YA series, but it's worth reading because when Brashares is at her best, she manages to capture tiny moments in beautiful pieces of writing.
    I didn't know there was a sequel to the series. Another book for the summer reading list! You summed up Brashares well - definite flaws in her books, but she does do some things very well. She's not a favorite author of mine, but usually worth reading.

vCash
    I finished Sellout and really liked it. I'm currently rereading North and South. I think I'm becoming a little obsessed with it.

I'm still trying to get through Mary Barton but I don't think I'll finish it until I'm on my death bed. Normally, I would've been done with it but for some reason I feel a strange compulsion to finish it. I'm also reading Victorian London: the Tale of a City by Liza Picard. So far it's so, so but I admit that I haven't given it too much attention since I'm currently out of town visiting my family.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I just finished reading The Devil's Eye by Jack McDevitt, a science fiction/mystery novel. I was a bit disappointed, because I really liked a couple of his earlier novels with the same character and universe, but this one wasn't as engrossing.

I picked up a copy of book 1 of Stephen Erikson's Mazalan Book of the Fallen fantasy series at a fundraiser book sale at work.. It seems to have rave reviews in SF forums, and the author has completed the series, but I'm not sure if I want to be drawn into another 10 book series.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    The end of Under the Dome is a little bit of a letdown, but otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable 1000+ pages.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast