Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I finished the Shaiwa Twain story. Long read. She tells very long stories in detail. Some old guy and her stepfather molested her. Her Dad beat the crap out of her mom and this is before she is 12.
    She doesn't hold back on the other woman Mutt cheated on with her (she used the C word).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I am reading lots of lovely mindless trash
    That is what Sidney Sheldon is for....my mom let us read him once we got into high school...not a great writer, it's been said, but a helluva storyteller. Harold Robbins and Judith Krantz make him look like J.D. Salinger in comparison.

Today, you couldn't even get me to look at one of his book covers, let alone read one of his books.
    I am thisclose to throwing away my E. Lynn Harris novels. I bought them mainly because I wanted closure on the storyline of several of the main characters, but really, he was a bad writer.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I'm reading Jonathan Tropper: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Thi.../9780525951278 and http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-...than%2btropper

To me, his books are kinda like extremely snarky chick lit, written by a guy--Chuck lit, maybe? The themes are generally the same, but there's a LOT more talk about sex and fart jokes and manly posturing that usually ends in disaster but remains necessary nonetheless.

I have been banned from reading the books in bed, as I keep laughing out loud and waking my husband up . Not for those who don't like snarky, blackly cynical or crude, but if that's your thing, .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Adds Tropper to my next week's shopping list. Tuesday will be fun!
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Adds Tropper to my next week's shopping list. Tuesday will be fun!
    Read This is Where I Leave You and you will never, ever want to eat chocolate strawberry cheesecake again.

Cheap E-reads is proving to be, er, not so cheap for me.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Tom Cruise wants to play Reacher in the adaptations of Lee Child's books. Reacher is 6'4. Are they going to put him on stilts? Please don't let this happen.

vCash
    Took a break from The Way of an Eagle to read A Handful of Dust. The other Evelyn Waugh novels I've read were pretty damned funny, but the ending of this one was rather horrifying. Back I go to India, where everyone is all aquiver for one reason or another.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Thanks for all the medical mystery author tips. At present I'm reading the Aurora Teacup series. I'm enjoying them so far, they're nice and light. I used to be a Rita Mae Brown fan, but she's jumped the shark so I haven't read anything of hers lately.

If anyone is a Gail Bowen fan, her last one is pretty good.

vCash
    Tom Cruise wants to play Reacher in the adaptations of Lee Child's books. Reacher is 6'4. Are they going to put him on stilts? Please don't let this happen.
    Well, he ruined Mission Impossible and is going to ruin Rock Of Ages, so why not just go for the trifecta?

Oh, wait, I forgot he sucked in Interview with the Vampire as well....

vCash
    I'm reading Water for Elephants. I really wanted to read the book before seeing the movie, which I heard was really good.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    If he could stand on top of his ego, it could work.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    In love with Tana French's books now. Also, just interviewed Karin Slaughter. Her new book "Fallen" comes out....now? I think it's out! Anyway-love her. She's brilliant-as a writer and as a conversationlist.

vCash
    I started reading Stephen King's "The Dome" on the plane ride home, and I got quite far in before the plane started bouncing all over the place.

So far, it's awesome.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Since I am not allowed to sleep while visiting neurotic dog is here, I've been reading Dick Van Dyke's memoir. He said there would be nothing salacious in it and so far, the most scandalous thing is that his mother was three months pregnant with him when his parents got married. So far, he's been talking about things that all took place before or just after I was born, but I think I'm just about up to Mary Poppins.

I did finally find out what Charles Nelson Reilly's claim to fame was before he became a professional game show participant. I've wondered about that for years.

vCash
    I'm hopping between "Daughters of Rome" and the new Sookie Stackhouse from Charlaine Harris "Dead Reckoning." I do not like Erik.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    New release day today I have a list for my trip to Borders.

vCash
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that can't happen to one of my favorite characters!!!!! NONONONONONONONONO!

vCash
    My Red Tent friend sent me a copy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Should I be afraid?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    My Red Tent friend sent me a copy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Should I be afraid?
    No! Fear not! Guernsey is about 50 times >>>> than Red Tent! The ending was a tad, um, well not perfect, but the journey getting there was so much fun, more than makes up for it.

It had a special appeal for me because a. I've been to the Channel Islands and b. how ordinary citizens react and live during wartime (esp. when occupied) is a particular favourite plot point of mine. But everyone I know who's read this book loved it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Never read the Red Tent, but I loved the other one.

I've just started Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks. I think it will be good.

There's a new book out called Before I Go to Sleep that I think I may try next. I've gotten away from the modern day thrillers, but it sounds pretty good.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast