Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I am reading lots of lovely mindless trash, my reward for plowing through lots of unlovely but still mindless research papers and grading a small mountain of dense, chewy projects on dense, chewy subjects.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so relaxing.

But anyway, another link for my fellow Nookies and other assorted e-reading types: Cheap E-reads Like at your own risk--you will get a LOT of posts in your feed.

Happy pool reading .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Currently slumming with The Way of an Eagle by the Queen of Quiver, Miss Ethel M. Dell. Our Heroine is blocking out the horrors of the Indian Mutiny with hefty doses of opium. But only until Our Hero sweeps her off to dubious (i.e. unchaperoned) safety, via the jungle, where they will both start vibrating like steam engines. Has Muriel escaped Certain Death only to face a Fate Worse Than Death? Will she make it back to civilization a Fallen or an Honest Woman? I look forward to being as scandalized as the readers back in 1912 were.
    Last edited by Nomad; 06-15-2011 at 06:27 AM.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have to admit, I am really enjoying the main book for my LA History class. It is called Louisiana: A History. I find myself wanting to read it. Even though my teacher chose too many books for our short summer term, at least he chose interesting books and not awful textbooks. Being from Texas I find all of this very interesting since it is all new to me.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Was it good? I love anything dealing with the cosmos.
    It was a blast! The scientific info was extensive but still readable for the general public. And since they had access to the greatest observatories, you can imagine the photos. After reading it, I loaned it to one bro to read, then another, than a third whose said of his wife "Jesse's getting a bang out of Bang". Brian May is actully a certified astrophysisist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I am reading lots of lovely mindless trash, my reward for plowing through lots of unlovely but still mindless research papers and grading a small mountain of dense, chewy projects on dense, chewy subjects.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so relaxing.

But anyway, another link for my fellow Nookies and other assorted e-reading types: Cheap E-reads Like at your own risk--you will get a LOT of posts in your feed.

Happy pool reading .
    Thanks for the link! I'll definitely be reading some fluff next week. I'm going to visit family in Philly and during the visit we're going to Virginia.

I'm currently reading Sellout: The Politics of Racial Betrayal. It's kinda good. It's keeping my interest enough to keep reading. Reading about slaves who ratted on other slaves and blacks who wrote really nasty things about other blacks after Reconstruction makes me think that most of the modern blacks a lot of black people think of as sellouts as being angels.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I'm looking for medical mystery authors. Any suggestions?

Thanks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post

Thanks
    Robin Cook and Michael Crichton are the first to come to mind - but their works may be more thrillers than mysteries.
    Creating drama!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash

Thanks
    Tess Garritson's Rizzoli and Isles are sort of medical mysteries in that one of characters is a forensic pathologist.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I'm listening to the White Lioness by Henning Mankell in the car. I have a couple of his books and haven't gotten around to reading them, but now I will. They aren't mysteries in the sense that the reader doesn't know whodunit. I like Wallender as a character, but Mankell jumps around with different characters POV and it get's confusing and throws you out of the action. We're half way through the book and he's introducing new characters. I don't think Mankell read the show don't tell memo.

The book I have in my TBR cubicle (there are 3 of them with about 30 books ) is Faceless Killers. It's not very long so hopefully there will be less jumping and fewer characters.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Tess Garritson's Rizzoli and Isles are sort of medical mysteries in that one of characters is a forensic pathologist.
    My mom would like that. I am reading A Severed Head by Iris Murdoch.

So far so good. I find myself interested in the characters' neuroses although they are banal and old as sin, in a Woody Allenesque way.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I'm listening to the White Lioness by Henning Mankell in the car. I have a couple of his books and haven't gotten around to reading them, but now I will. They aren't mysteries in the sense that the reader doesn't know whodunit. I like Wallender as a character, but Mankell jumps around with different characters POV and it get's confusing and throws you out of the action. We're half way through the book and he's introducing new characters. I don't think Mankell read the show don't tell memo.
    I've read all of the Wallender books, and some of Mankell's other books. While I've enjoyed most of his books quite a bit, I must say that books like White Lioness, which takes us all over the world, are some of my least favorites. IMO Mankell is better when he sticks closer to home and doesn't delve too deeply into world events and politics.
    Creating drama!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash

Thanks
    Joshua Spanogle and Peter Clement, maybe?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    Robin Cook and Michael Crichton are the first to come to mind - but their works may be more thrillers than mysteries.
    Robin Cook is one of the worst. published authors. ever. He got a name after he wrote the medical thriller 'Coma' (in the 80s I think?) and has been publishing bad books ever since. I think I enjoyed one or two of the earlier works despite the poor writing and terrible dialogue, but his capacity for story-telling has really disintegrated.

vCash
    I don't know if you are interested in historical medical mystery series or not but Ruth Downie's Medicus books are not bad. They're set in Roman Britain and the main character is a bit down on his luck. Remarkably, for a Roman mystery series, Caesar, Pompey, Cato, Mark Antony, and Cleopatra do NOT make an appearance (at least not yet). It's a bit of a refreshing difference. The books are reasonably well written and a bit wry. I liked them. Didn't *love* them, but they were a not bad read. Link here to the first book.

Thanks

vCash
    On my second Elizabeth Chadwick novel called "The Greatest Knight". Inspired by the real life antics of 12th century knight William Marshal. His real life story is as good as or better than the novel. It is said he was cursed so that his sons will never bear him grand sons and it may be true because five sons altogether had only 1 child in all a girl, strange but true. He also served four kings before dying in his mid seventies. Fascinating man.

vCash
    I'm trying to find shipping magnate Albert Ballin's bio. He founded the Hamburg-Amerika Line. For some reason, the book is not available in the US. I hate it when that happens...

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Another good historical forensic mystery series is the Brother Cadfael books by Ellis Peters. The protagonist is a monk with extensive knowledge of botany (as well as humanity, thanks to his pre-monastic life as a Crusader), which he puts to good use every time there's a murder nearby. Add to that the backdrop of the "The Anarchy" (the 12th century civil war bw Stephen and Maud), and you've got some great reading!

vCash
    I love the Brother Cadfael mysteries and the Medicus series; I tend toward the historical mysteries because I like detectives who use their heads to figure out whodunit rather than all kinds of whiz-bang technology.

I also have Chadwick's "The Greatest Knight" near the top of my TBR pile. I enjoy her character developmen and she really makes the past come alive. But this is the beginning of summer and I'm into the mindless-trash phase. "Angel Light" is pretty lame and after that I think I have a couple of frothy romances lined up. Plus Stephanie Plum #17 comes out on the 21st to totally rot my brain.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Plus Stephanie Plum #17 comes out on the 21st to totally rot my brain.
    Better than Plum is Carolyn Haines new Southern Belle mystery coming out the same day. Haines is a much better writer.

I loved the Cadfael series also. And Derek Jacobi was brilliant on the PBS adaptations.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Joshua Spanogle and Peter Clement, maybe?
    And Ken McClure. I've never read his books, but I know someone who likes them a lot.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast