Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash
    As much as I'd love to see the Kween skate, I suspect her attention will be on her new career whatever she chooses and that she wouldn't want to compete if she didn't have the time to train properly.

But kudos to Scott for trying to revive pro skating competitions, as nobody else seems to have an interest (or thinks it could be financially feasilbe) and I'd love to see some of the potential skaters listed above compete again.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I am all for bringing back the professional circuit in some way. With Scott being in charge I fear it will become nothing more than a huge promotional tool for SOI and all the professional skaters, and most of the amateur skaters, will be on his tour. I hope they will branch out and bring in many skaters, not just those on SOI.
    Even if it is only SOI, I would rather these events to see than none at all.

Only drawback: 10-year rule means no Boitano

BTW, count me among what seems to be uncommon on this board: people who admire and are grateful to Scott Hamilton for all that he has done for the sport (and that includes announcing.)

vCash
    This could be interesting if it's done right...or a disaster if it's not. I'm curious to see how it's ultimately implemented.

The format doesn't seem to be crystal clear to me. Is it a tournament-style competition with skaters placed into brackets?

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    The music idea sounds awful. I'm not Sure that Scott should have and imput re music. I suppose one could watch with the sound turned off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    The music idea sounds awful. I'm not Sure that Scott should have and imput re music. I suppose one could watch with the sound turned off.
    I interpret the phrase "contemporary music" to mean skaters can use anything they want including music with vocals.

I'm not sure where it says that Scott will choose the music or there will be live bands. Did I miss something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post

BTW, count me among what seems to be uncommon on this board: people who admire and are grateful to Scott Hamilton for all that he has done for the sport

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Michelle has moved on to a new phase in life and is doing work which is more important in the grand scheme of things than figure skating. Her fans should applaud her for that.

And Michelle is already a wealthy woman. If more wealth was her motivation, she'd did be doing all she could to milk her fame, like some other retired skaters. That she isn't is another things her fans should applaud her for.
    I know what MK is doing and I didn't really expect her to participate in this venture if it should take place.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash

Count me among what seems to be uncommon on this board: people who admire and are grateful to Scott Hamilton for all that he has done for the sport (and that includes announcing.)

vCash
    Sounds essentially like a cheesefest. If the ISU sanctions it for eligible skaters, would they not have to use IJS? Otherwise, you lose your eligibility (if they use 6.0 or some 10-point scale or something). I fear "innovative" means fan call-in scoring. . .

vCash
    My 2¢:
    1. I hope Johnny gets an invite! He is such a fan favorite. And I think someone like Johnny participating would bring in a TV audience.
    2. Does NBC have the US version of the ISU network contract? I pray that they either a) play the event in its entirety or b) sell it to someone who will.
    3. I hope the Scott Hamilton music thing is just a rumor! I never like those events centered around specific musicians because it's very limiting to have one choice only.
    4. Scoring system-can the ISU make an exception and use a 10-point system? I don't think IJS will work, I don't know if 6.0 will make sense to a younger audience (ok, it doesn't to me, but maybe I'm the only one. I'm 17, so by the time I was old enough to figure out how the scoring worked, it was IJS). Plus, I don't know that all of the deductions will help-I think a ten-point system which rewards the positive elements will be the best choice. Plus, a TES and a PCS will just get complex.

vCash
    They need to use IJS for credibility's sake.

All the bogus "competitions" with celebrity judges back in really did NOT help the sport.

The ISU should allow them to use the ICE series as a place to experiment with fan friendly changes to IJS, such as:

*"wild card" elements

*bringing back blur spins and illusion spins (by making them valuable)

*capping certain elements at L1 (flying spins, footwork)

*eliminating the corridor for PCS and making each category MEAN something a casual fan can recognize with minimal effort

*restructuring the PCS categories entirely so that artistic 'masterpieces' and programs that engage the audience can get rewarded somewhere in the scoring system

*publishing scores in the arena as "Jumps," "Spins," "Steps & Transitions," & "Components" instead of the alienating lump sum TES;

*giving bonuses to jumps done in combination, even if a jump is a single (but only if the single is the 1st jump in the combination - I just want to see 1ft axel into 3sal or flip!! LOL)

*beyond awarding placements on total overall scores, also award the best spinner, best jumper, best transitions, etc. to encourage and recognize brilliance where it is found.

If Scott continues to fight the NJS, he will dilute skating's brand overall.

If he convinces the ISU to let him take the NJS and experiment with it a bit, even if it's only the way the information is presented at first, he could really have a hugely positive impact on the sport for generations to come.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I interpret the phrase "contemporary music" to mean skaters can use anything they want including music with vocals.

I'm not sure where it says that Scott will choose the music or there will be live bands. Did I miss something?

pardon me. i've just been scarred by the disson shows with their constantly cutting away before the skater even finishes the spiral or the layback spin. but you have to wonder, why say anything about 'contemporary' music?

my suspicion is, because then the band is still alive, still trying to promote itself, and can occupy the stage and snag 50% of the camera time. otherwise the skater could skate to a song sung by ella fitzgerald, sarah vaughan--the wording could say all music including vocals instead of 'contemporary.'

if this turns out to be more of the disson tripe, then i prefer that the cameras film the musical act for the first 2 minutes and then switch to the skaters until the skater's program is over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post

my suspicion is, because then the band is still alive, still trying to promote itself, and can occupy the stage and snag 50% of the camera time. otherwise the skater could skate to a song sung by ella fitzgerald, sarah vaughan--the wording could say all music including vocals instead of 'contemporary.'

if this turns out to be more of the disson tripe, then i prefer that the cameras film the musical act for the first 2 minutes and then switch to the skaters until the skater's program is over.
    Why do you think there will be live music or live band performing
    I interpret the contemporary music as modern/pop music as opposite of the classical music that the skaters often use in competitions.

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Sounds essentially like a cheesefest.
    I can't wait for this cheesefest. I'm so over the automatons CoP skating has turned everyone into. Give me cheese, and sparkle, and actory skating. I miss it so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    They need to use IJS for credibility's sake...

If Scott continues to fight the NJS, he will dilute skating's brand overall.

If he convinces the ISU to let him take the NJS and experiment with it a bit, even if it's only the way the information is presented at first, he could really have a hugely positive impact on the sport for generations to come.
    But why does credibility have to lead to confusion? If the viewers aren't going to get it, then what's the point? This is basically a money-making, viewer-attracting deal. It isn't really meant to bring people in to watch regular competitions (otherwise, it may as well just be a GP). It's meant to make people watch the big-name skaters.

I think that anything that gets viewers for the sport is worth it (within reason, of course). What's wrong with using a different scoring system, should the ISU allow it?

vCash
    Some of the pairs & ice dancers are NOT together anymore, if I remember correctly.........should be interesting!!!!

vCash
    BTW, count me among what seems to be uncommon on this board: people who admire and are grateful to Scott Hamilton for all that he has done for the sport (and that includes announcing.)
    Hear, hear.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    If IJS would be used for judging, ineligible skaters won't have a prayer againts eligible skaters.
    When the first Pro-Ams were proposed everyone said the Pro's wouldn't have any chance against the Ams. They found a way to at least make it a bit competitive between the 2 groups. IIRC they stuck to strict ISU rules for the technical program, including the short program time limits. The long/artistic program was much less structured other than that I think they had to have at least one triple or something like that.

Only drawback: 10-year rule means no Boitano
    Brian opted out the first time Pro-Ams came around. I remember because I was so surprised he had no interest seeing as how he was determined to compete against amateurs again when they offered the loop-hole. At any rate there is absolutely no reason to believe he would be remotely interested in it this time around either, imho.

I was never a big fan of these competitions and I hold them - and greedy speedy - at least partially responsible for the swift demise of pro comps shortly after. (Can't blame the Pro-Ams completely because the kind of junk they started rewarding at the pro comps *cough - phillipe candeloro - cough* also played a big role. I will try to keep an open mind this time at least until I see how they work, simply because there just is no other way to see pro's compete anymore. Well very few actual "Pros" exist, they are really just retired or not-competing-right-now skaters.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Midori Midori Midori!!!

Screw the 10 years rule, it should be any worlds/olympics medalist Bonaly! Kulik! Browning!!!

vCash
    No Stephane Lambiel? He'd be perfect for this type of comp.
    ETA: I see his name, I must have missed it, sorry.
    Last edited by Rex; 06-13-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast