Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Little Gems from Prince Philip...

Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    ‘If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she isn’t interested.’ On his daughter, Princess Anne.

Sounds like Princess Anne and I have the same taste in men ... sadly.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Philip
    I would like to go to Russia very much — although the bastards murdered half my family.’ In 1967, when asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union.
    I gotta give him major props for calling it like it is. Russia: the Germans WISH they were as good at getting away with mass murder.

Also this one:
    All money nowadays seems to be produced with a natural homing instinct for the Treasury.’ Lamenting the rate of British tax in 1963
    And this:

‘People think there’s a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.’ In 2000.

vCash
    'When a man opens the car door for his wife, it’s either a new car or a new wife.’
    Some of these are quite offensive, some are ill-informed, and others are hilarious.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh dear.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I'll bet this didn't go over so well (although I'm not quite sure what he was getting at.)

People usually say that after a fire it is water damage that is the worst. We are still drying out Windsor Castle.’ To survivors of the Lockerbie bombing in 1993.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I gotta give him major props for calling it like it is. Russia: the Germans WISH they were as good at getting away with mass murder.
    Are you trying to be offensive or do you just not know better?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I'll bet this didn't go over so well (although I'm not quite sure what he was getting at.)
    I don't get it either. Anyone?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Maybe equating the fire at Windsor Palace to the death and trauma caused by the PanAm bombing over Lockerbie didn’t go over too well. Oh, I see. It’s not that in question. Yeah, it is kinda hard to see what Phillip was trying to say.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Surely he couldn't have meant...no, he couldn't.

Okay, this thought occurred to me. If he was talking to survivors...there were some homes that weren't completely destroyed but did have fire damage. You don't think he was trying to be one of them, do you? I mean, they would have had some water damage too.
    3539 and counting.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Some of these are quite offensive, some are ill-informed, and others are hilarious.
    In this order:
    Offensive = 85%
    Ill-informed = 10%
    Hilarious = 5%

But yes, there is the occasional hilarious gem.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I met him several years ago at a reception given for him in his capacity as the honorary chair of the World WildLife Fund (Federation?). He was a bit "gaffe-y" but also very very good at circulating and meeting the crowd. I could see where the foot in mouth-itis would come in, tho'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I have a guess here: he was trying to say that the aftermath of a disaster is very long and painful even for the royal family, so he knows that they are still suffering repercussions from Lockerbie.

I can't tell if the quotes are really offensive, it all depends on whether he was trying to be amusing when he said them and for that played with stereotypes or stating the obvious, which are two accepted forms of comedy, or if he actually meant what he said... I really hope that wasn't it.

vCash
    I think they're pretty funny. Dry sense of humor sort of thing.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Are you trying to be offensive or do you just not know better?
    Nope, tired of Russia getting a pass for spending the twentieth century slaughtering millions (well, technically, the worst of the lot was a Georgian hick who turned out to be really good at scaring people into doing what he said, but still-overwhelming majority of Soviet leaders and functionaries were Russians) while Germany is STILL guilt-tripped over their (admittedly bad) actions ca. 1936-1945. The Soviet Russians were far, far worse than Germany ever dreamed and frankly if we're hauling elderly capos into court and minor Yugoslavs over a few thousand there are still plenty of ex-KGB who ought to be up against the wall. Otherwise we owe Germany a HUGE appology. (Actually Russia really ought to appoogize for the war attrocities committed on their front--rape and burn was official red army policy.)

The Soviet Union were were worse butchers than anyone who EVER ran Germany, including Adolph Hitler. There's absolutely nothing offensive or wrong about calling out their having gotten a free pass when they deserved to be treated exactly like the Nazis. (I realize some people on this board are Russophiles, but the fact they can crank out a few great skaters doesn't give them a bye for things like Ketyn or the genocide against the Ukrainian farmers, never mind something like one in ten women in Berlin being raped during the occupation.) If modern Germany is still regretting and apologizing, modern Russia has a LONG way to go before they deserve not to be called out. *Japan* has shown more remorse for their country's past actions and they're very reluctant to admit to anything like Nanking or the sex slavery in occupied Korea.

vCash
    Thanks for the history lesson. But look at your original statement. You make it sound like all Germans & Russians have to apologize for their nation. Only murderers need to feel guilt for murder. I feel no guilt for the murders due to American policy.

I found very few of Prince Phillip's gaffes funny. More like elitist & ignorant.
    Last edited by taf2002; 06-10-2011 at 03:45 PM.

vCash
    I read somewhere where he and the late Princess Margaret used to trade racist jokes to one another. The Queen Mum made her share of comments too. Wish I could remember where I read this; I was living in San Diego at the time.

Watch me move
    vCash
    There's one that missing, and I can't find when he said it....he was asked what was the main problem in Brazil (I think this was in reference to the rainforests being destroyed) and his answer was "Brazilians live there".
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    He sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant man.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Orable View Post
    He sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant man.
    He does, doesn't he?
    3539 and counting.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast