Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash

vCash
    ^ Thanks for the review and the pic link!

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Sounds like the shows were fabulous!!

((((Japan and Japanese skaters)))), and to all that skated, worked, and attended the event.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    Kozuka- they introduced him as a rock star in Japan. He came out in international orange pants...he skated to Hello by the Beatles and then Men at Work Safety Dance. Right off the bat he landed a 3 axel!
    [80's music nerd]

Safety Dance was by the one-hit-wonder Canadian band Men Without Hats, released in 1982 on the album Rhythm of Youth .

Aussie band Men At Work had at least two huge hits with Who Can It Be Now and Land Down Under (the song that had everyone in America asking "WTF is "vegemite?" ) from their 1981 album Business As Usual (both singles were released in the US in 1982).

[/80's music nerd]

Last edited by Cyn; 06-11-2011 at 07:01 PM.

vCash
    Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing them with us and thanks for the review. You are so lucky to have been there.

vCash
    I love the picture of the cast in street clothes.
    Aside from platform shoes..it gives a really good measure of relative height.
    Kozuka's stature was a surprise to me.
    Thanks for posting the pics.

vCash
    Thanks about the music! Opps my bad! Meryl had on a pair of 3 inch wedges. Someone asked her about it. She said they were easy to walk in. All I could think of was, if she twist an ankle in those it's not going to be pretty.

Oh we need to come up with a new name for the Shibsibs. Alex doesn't like it!
    Last edited by mysticchic; 06-11-2011 at 07:28 PM.

vCash

DSC show - group numbers

I had a great time at the DSC show. I had never been to a club show so this was all new to me! The group numbers were really fun. The skaters ranged from very very young to young adults. I saw can-can skaters, little cinderellas, hula type costumes, you name it, they did it!

The four group numbers that stood out for me were the 2 small boys (maybe 4 or 5 yrs old) who skated to 'you are a friend to me'. They looked a little leery of being out in front of all those people, but were very cute and did a good job. The 12 ice dancers (without Meryl and Charlie) skated to Umbrella and were really wonderful. The comic relief group - Robin Hood - was actually hilarious. All of the skaters were dressed like - you guessed it - Robin Hood and did lifts and such with the other guys. Some of them could hardly pickup the skater they were paired with. Very funny.

The 4th group number that I thought was so cute was the Cinderella number with really really young skaters. The little girls had long white dresses and little crowns, the boys had on tux. This group also came with more advanced skaters who could help out. One little girl fell and started to cry so another "helper" skater picked her up and skated with her. Some of the little ones kept falling and helpers would pick them up and carry them for a minute or two. It was just very sweet.

More in another post!

vCash
    Thanks maureen... please write some more when you get a chance!

Akiko Suzuki has posted some nice off-ice photos from the Thursday show in her blog: http://ameblo.jp/suzuki-akko/entry-10920037244.html

vCash

DSC guest stars

Weaver & Poje. I had never seen them skate, but found them quite enjoyable. They skated to "Steppin Out with My Baby". She had an elegant dark, maybe royal, blue dress he was in a tux. I liked their long lines and quiet blades.

Davis & White. This was their exhibition from Worlds but it was fun to see it live. Her outfit was a light pink sparkly v-neck top and a flowy print skirt. He was dressed like a nerd with suspenders and glasses. Lots of speed and high energy. Very enjoyable. Just a little side note - I saw Charlie at the snack bar getting something to eat, but he didn't have enough cash and they don't take credit cards. I think he promised that his parents were coming and he could pay up then

Alissa Czisny. She did a techno dance and I'm not sure of the title - maybe Techno Dancing? She had on a black sparkly dress which matched her slightly sexy flirty song and presentation. I had never seen her do a number like that. It was very different than her programs this year. Her spins and spiral are lovely. It always amazes me when her spins pickup speed!

The Shibutani's. I just love them. I love that they actually dance together. Wonderful long edges and a very nice program. Alex seems much taller than I remember and I saw him in Greensboro - of course I was much closer here than at Nationals. Really enjoyed their program.

One of the main reasons that I attended this show was to see Akiko Suzuki in person. I confess that I am a Michelle Kwan uber but I really really like Akiko too. She doesn't necessarily have the technical ability of Miki or Mao, but I just love the joy of skating that shines through. She wore a sparkly red costume with a v-neck and did a shorter version of West Side Story. I loved it . I loved the change of pace footwork she did with lots of energy. I haven't checked youtube yet, but maybe someone put a video up - I hope so.

Taka Kozuka - He is indeed a rock star. I liked him last season, but think he has really become much more expressive this year. I loved his programs at Worlds more than anyone else. He started with the Beatles and did a huge - and I do mean huge - 3A. I thought he might end up in the tables that were set up at the end of the rink. Very quiet blades, lots of speed. Then, a complete change of pace and it was all techno with lots of dancy footwork. If I ever get to Worlds, I hope he is still skating!

Alissa C. came out again during the extra exhibition and did Moon River. She had on a lovely white dress. She had a fall, but the rest was lovely and gentle as I've come to expect from her.

Davis & White did their competitive program. So much speed and power it was amazing.

I enjoyed the rest of the show but finally gave up taking notes. The featured soloists from the DSC were all very energetic, costumes were lovely, and you could see how much they were all enjoying the night. The Italian Dancers were quite good - especially since they got off the plane and rushed to the rink! Can't imagine how tired they were. The Japanese Jr. silver medalist was very personable and entertaining - with some jump problems.

One other highlight - Yuka Sato skated. I got to see her live. Still has beautiful quiet edges and great flow over the ice. Her number was over too soon!

That's it. I had a great time!

vCash
    The techo song Alissa skated to was Dancing With Myself sung by Nouvelle Vague. She and I had a good laugh that I couldn't pronounce the groups name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    [80's music nerd]

Safety Dance was by the one-hit-wonder Canadian band Men Without Hats, released in 1982 on the album Rhythm of Youth .

Aussie band Men At Work had at least two huge hits with Who Can It Be Now and Land Down Under (the song that had everyone in America asking "WTF is "vegemite?" ) from their 1981 album Business As Usual (both singles were released in the US in 1982).

[/80's music nerd]

Well, if we're going to be specific, both of Kozuka's music cuts are from Glee.

vCash
    Yes, Stefania and Ondrej are there for some chore from Pasquel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Sorry for the off-topic post, but this stood out for me. Does anyone know if this means that Sarah Arnold/Justin Trojek have left Paul MacIntosh/Rebecca Babb and are training in Detroit? Or are they just there for some supplemental training?
    Yes, they have left MacIntosh/Babb and are now in Detroit full-time.

vCash

Robin Hood

Robin Hood - Men In Tights Number DSC Ice Show

http://youtu.be/iWwYGE7Z40o

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-Mom View Post

It is hilarious! Is that Daniel Eaton being lifted by Andrew Poje? I love the pairs spin!
    Last edited by OrioleBeagle; 06-13-2011 at 03:09 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    I had a great time at the DSC show. I had never been to a club show so this was all new to me! The group numbers were really fun. The skaters ranged from very very young to young adults. I saw can-can skaters, little cinderellas, hula type costumes, you name it, they did it!

The four group numbers that stood out for me were the 2 small boys (maybe 4 or 5 yrs old) who skated to 'you are a friend to me'. They looked a little leery of being out in front of all those people, but were very cute and did a good job. The 12 ice dancers (without Meryl and Charlie) skated to Umbrella and were really wonderful. The comic relief group - Robin Hood - was actually hilarious. All of the skaters were dressed like - you guessed it - Robin Hood and did lifts and such with the other guys. Some of them could hardly pickup the skater they were paired with. Very funny.

The 4th group number that I thought was so cute was the Cinderella number with really really young skaters. The little girls had long white dresses and little crowns, the boys had on tux. This group also came with more advanced skaters who could help out. One little girl fell and started to cry so another "helper" skater picked her up and skated with her. Some of the little ones kept falling and helpers would pick them up and carry them for a minute or two. It was just very sweet.

More in another post!
    I hope someone puts the "Umbrella" routine on YouTube!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-Mom View Post

ROTFLOL

vCash
    Yes, they have left MacIntosh/Babb and are now in Detroit full-time.
    Thanks. After you had passed on the information, I checked the registrations for the Lake Placid Ice Dance championships and saw that they are entered with Camerlengo/Krylova listed as their coaches.

vCash
    Backstage photos from Thursday's show: http://web.icenetwork.com/gen/photog...f20424776.html

Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    After you had passed on the information, I checked the registrations for the Lake Placid Ice Dance championships and saw that they are entered with Camerlengo/Krylova listed as their coaches.
    I've added Arnold/Trojek to the Senior Dance roster in the Lake Placid IDC event thread in the Kiss and Cry forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79078

Quote Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
    I am going to the DSC show this Saturday (1:00). Does anyone know if any special guest skaters will be there?
    Would you like to cross-post your mini-report from Saturday's show here from Golden Skate?

ETA link to Arianne's mini-report: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post572425
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-14-2011 at 02:56 PM.

vCash
    If your asking me Syliva your more then welcome!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast