Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

CBC lands 5-year deal with ISU to broadcast skating in Canada

vCash
    CBC has also entered into a strategic partnership with VisionTV, which is available in 10 million Canadian homes, giving viewers even more access to CBC's award-winning figure skating coverage.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...#ixzz1Oho2yX6t
    I happy about this deal.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I was a little concerned about how widely VisionTV is available, but from its website it looks like people in most provinces/territories can find it on at least one cable system.

I was also a little concerned that it seems to be a faith-based channel - not sure how figure skating fits into that strategic direction - but since it has ads on its website advertising that it's currently showing Absolutely Fabulous and The Benny Hill Show, I think it interprets that strategic direction quite loosely
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I was also a little concerned that it seems to be a faith-based channel - not sure how figure skating fits into that strategic direction - but since it has ads on its website advertising that it's currently showing Absolutely Fabulous and The Benny Hill Show, I think it interprets that strategic direction quite loosely
    They could regard speed/figure skating as "wholesome family programming".

vCash
    I think vision is part of my standard cable package.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I was a little concerned about how widely VisionTV is available, but from its website it looks like people in most provinces/territories can find it on at least one cable system.

I have faith in Eddy and Patsy - don't you?

ETA - since I am a "South of the Canadian Border" poster by many, many miles - I don't keep up with which personalities/skaters appear on which networks. Does this mean the return of Rod Black and his Elvis bromance?
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Excellent!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    ETA - since I am a "South of the Canadian Border" poster by many, many miles - I don't keep up with which personalities/skaters appear on which networks. Does this mean the return of Rod Black and his Elvis bromance?
    No, that's CTV. This is Brenda Irving, Kurt Browning, Scott Russell, sometimes Tracy Wilson, and PJ Kwong.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    No, that's CTV. This is Brenda Irving, Kurt Browning, Scott Russell, sometimes Tracy Wilson, and PJ Kwong.
    ITA with your above analisys except I would say

Brenda Irving , Kurt Browning and , Scott Russell , sometimes Tracy Wilson , and PJ Kwong

vCash
    Yeah!!

vCash
    Great news! It will be interesting to see what network Tracy Wilson commentates for.

vCash
    I'm happy about this b/c I had gotten used to/liked cbc's coverage, especially the online streaming. I was worried about what was going to change b/c of some of the events being shown on ctv, so I'm glad some of it will still be what we're used to.

vCash
    So, CTV will air Canadians and Skate Canada (I will believe they will air those events in their entirety when I see it), while CBC will air the rest of the events (complete coverage of GPF and Worlds--YES!). I guess I can live with that. With CBC not having to spend money on SC and Canadians, maybe they'll be more consistent in showing us 4CC and the other GP events in their entirety.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    So, CTV will air Canadians and Skate Canada (I will believe they will air those events in their entirety when I see it), while CBC will air the rest of the events (complete coverage of GPF and Worlds--YES!). I guess I can live with that. With CBC not having to spend money on SC and Canadians, maybe they'll be more consistent in showing us 4CC and the other GP events in their entirety.
    I'm so happy! What have I done to be born in this time and age
    May my spoiled existence never cease to end

vCash
    Excellent news.

And thanks, Sylvia, for posting the link.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I didn't see the word "complete" in the article. Did I read it too quickly and miss it? But I'm relieved that the deal was made and I don't have to be on tinderhooks about next season's skating coverage (as has been the case the past few years). And do we get Vision TV here in BC, on cable or digital?

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Check out PJ's latest blog with more about CBC's commitment, etc. at: http://apps.pjkwong.com/blog/
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Good. I'm happy that things are settled.

Thanks for the link.

vCash
    Wow - thanks for the commitment, CBC. 5-year deal is great. Hope you are able to continue the full coverage of the events that you did provide and will cheer if you can do even more on the other events included in this deal. And CBC, hope you see what you can do about signing up Pj too.