Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Madison Chock and Evan Bates article

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Thanks for the heads up..Who dropped out?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Mysliveckova/Novak.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    "When Greg decided to quit after worlds, that was actually a surprise for us and for Madi," Shpilband said.
    IIRC, Madison actually said that it was not a surprise for her at all

So Keiffer Hubbell had a try out with Madison Chock too in a addition to the one with Emily Samuelson. I thought he wanted to retire because of his recurring injuries but I guess that he changed his mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertango View Post
    IIRC, Madison actually said that it was not a surprise for her at all
    Yeah, she did say earlier this summer that she knew he was unhappy and she wasn't surprised. I think she would have dumped him after Worlds anyway, regardless of whether or not he wanted to continue in the sport.

You can tell that Chock/Bates and those around them have been paying close attention to the way the Yankowskas/Coughlin/Denney situation was mishandled, and are trying to get their preferred version of the story out clearly.

I don't buy it, but I do wish them well. I think Chock/Bates will have more of a Tanith/Ben kind of look (gorgeous girl, nerdy guy). It might work for them.

vCash
    Ben Agosto a nerdy guy???
    Them's fightin words...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Ben Agosto a nerdy guy???
    Them's fightin words...
    ^^^^^

vCash
    Tanith's face could launch a thousand ships. Ben's a looker but everyone looks like a nerd in comparison to her.

vCash
    Ben helped Tanith be a better Ice Dancer. I hope Evan can do the same for Madison.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yeah, she did say earlier this summer that she knew he was unhappy and she wasn't surprised. I think she would have dumped him after Worlds anyway, regardless of whether or not he wanted to continue in the sport.

When I interviewed them, Madison told me that she was surprised that he decided to quit. She did know that he was unhappy, but everyone thought he would continue for one more season. It was in this issue: http://www.ifsmagazine.com/issues/201110

vCash
    I found those two quotes of Shpilband very interesting:

"She skated with Keiffer Hubbell, an excellent tryout, he's a great skater, and with Collin Brubaker, but she chose to skate with Evan.''

[...]

Shpilband, while surprised by the turn of events, supported the skaters' decision.

"They ask for guidance, but [they] also say what they want to do," he said. "You can't force people to do what they don't want to do, if they feel in their hearts that's the way it should be. You have to respect that, you have to support that."
    Wonder if Shpilband would have prefered another partner for Madison?

vCash
    ^ there is not much else out there unless he broke up more of his own teams.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Sounds lile might have wanted her with Keiffer. But sounds like he's supporting her decision.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Well, if Igor wanted Chock with a different partner, I wonder who he wanted Bates to team up with? Did Bates try out with Gilles? Maybe he would have preferred she not go off to Canada That would have given the Canton camp one more team, too! In addition to Samuelson/Gilles who might end up there...

vCash
    I don't think Igor's we must support the skaters means that he was necessarily against this pairing. It may mean that he doesn't want to sound like he was all for Emily/Evan breaking up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I don't think Igor's we must support the skaters means that he was necessarily against this pairing. It may mean that he doesn't want to sound like he was all for Emily/Evan breaking up.
    I agree with this. He may have wanted Evan to stay with Emily and Madison to find someone else (I guess Keiffer or Colin). I guess Keiffer is really not skating at all this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I agree with this. He may have wanted Evan to stay with Emily and Madison to find someone else (I guess one of the other two).
    Your missing my point. Even if Igor wanted Evan to go with Madison. He may not want to make it seem like publically he was pushing for a talented team like Bates/Samuelson to break up. It may be that Igor saw the pros and cons of both sides too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Your missing my point. Even if Igor wanted Evan to go with Madison. He may not want to make it seem like publically he was pushing for a talented team like Bates/Samuelson to break up. It may be that Igor saw the pros and cons of both sides too.
    No, I got your point, that could very well be so, I was just suggesting another alternative view.

vCash
    I think Igor likes to orchestrate the pairings in Canton and I also think he believed Chock & Hubbell would have been a better partnership. I'm kind of disappointed that she didn't choose Hubbell, but I guess the proof will be in the pudding. I am really not sold on Chock & Bates though and kind of more excited to see Samuelson & Gilles.

vCash
    Someday they need to get all these skaters on the ice for an exhibition to Change Partners (and Dance With Me).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast