Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I hate NBC. Besides very little live coverage this means we are stuck with that smug midget Bob Costas hosting for another 10 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    It would be awesome if they found a way to deliver it to consumers, free-of-charge, minimal ads, NO restrictions, reliable streams. But that's only in a perfect world, right?
    Eh, I wouldn't expect much...I don't know, it would just be nice if TV networks could find a way to play a good portion of the events on basic TV. But it probably won't happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    i have no problem if Munich wins the bid. After all they have the experience. BUT if Pyeongchang gets the bid then it will be great too. IOC needs to expand the games from other countries. Give them a chance.

NBC's coverage of Winter olympics coverage was terrible.
    PC can win but for another year. new frontiers be damned when there's a better bid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't expect much...I don't know, it would just be nice if TV networks could find a way to play a good portion of the events on basic TV. But it probably won't happen.
    I must be in the minority here but I REALLY don't mind online/mobile coverage. In fact, I would welcome it. I would embrace it. We're not always in front of the TV to catch the event any more. Maybe it's just me being of the younger generation or whatnot, but TV is no longer the only outlet. There are far too many events (particularly during summer games) to possibly show everything on TV channels. Even if you're ESPN or Comcast.

Now, of course I would prefer watching on an HDTV (particularly so I can DVR and archive footage), but if I can watch it live online, I don't care about tape-delayed coverage on TV. Like I said elsewhere, if NBC did their TV coverage exactly the same, but offered LIVE online coverage of events in progress- that would be enough for me.

Now, Comcast needs to utilize their cable channels a little more. Use Versus and other cable networks for live daytime coverage and the Comcast regional networks for localized coverage. Put whatever can't be shown on TV on the internet (or make EVERYTHING available on the internet) and offer it free of charge and without restrictions, if financially feasible. Then use NBC for the regular prime-time show on tape. You'll still get that huge audience because while watching live online is great, nothing like experiencing it on a big-screen TV. Best of both worlds. (this is what ESPN was promising, BTW)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    PC can win but for another year. new frontiers be damned when there's a better bid.
    What do you mean another year? This is PC's 3RD bid! Some of their stadiums are ready. It's time for an Asian country to host the games. You have Sochi from Europe and Vancouver from North America already. New Horizons means fresh and new crowd which I don't see any problem with it. Just to be fair. By the way I'm from the Philippines. It's easy for me to go to Korea.

vCash
    Athens did well enough. Sure, there were some worries but at the end the Olympics was successful. India didn't have time to prepare. But I don't see any similarities between Pyeongchang and India. Pyeongchang has both the financial and public/govt. support. They're one of the most stable economies in the world. This is the third time, some of their stadiums are already ready.
    That's complete BS. The Commonwealth Games run on the same cycle and formula as the Olympics. India had seven years to prepare. They had plenty of time.

I'm not saying that automatically Korea shouldn't have it. It certainly sounds like they have the facilities and economic stability to host it and if they are really the best city for the job go for it. I just don't like this attitude of "every kiddy wins a prize". If a country isn't capable, they're not capable. End of. No, "but they haven't had a turn".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    Just Tweeted by Philip Hersh: NBC says it will make every event available live on one platform or another.

Confirmed: "We will make every event, on one platform or another, live." - Mark Lazarus, NBC, on #NBCUniversal coverage of Oly Games
    Let's not get too excited with "live." "Live" could mean that they selectively cut to some live action -- American athletes, usually -- then jump to some other sport or fluff piece. I will be happy when NBC announces that it would make all of my favorite Oly sports available live, uncut and uninterrupted, even if for a price. I would gladly pay $100 for an all-live, uncut, de-fluffed package for all figure skating events at an Olympics. (Make that $200 for the no-commentary version! ha-ha) Televised, so that I can DVD-record and control the pauses.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    What do you mean another year? This is PC's 3RD bid! Some of their stadiums are ready. It's time for an Asian country to host the games. You have Sochi from Europe and Vancouver from North America already. New Horizons means fresh and new crowd which I don't see any problem with it. Just to be fair. By the way I'm from the Philippines. It's easy for me to go to Korea.
    i'm from the philippines as well. and even if its their third bid who cares paris lost their bids in 1992, 2008, 2012. detroit lost its bid 7 times. sweden despite being a winter olympic power has been rejected as winter olympic ssix consecutive times most recently in 2002. just because they have the stadium in place doesn't mean they deserve to host. look at all the events they've previously hosted we're not regarded highly by the International Federations from issues whether it be snow conditions or lack of people. as long as their is a better bidder no way should PC get the nod. i've stressed that several time. with munich being there they'll be able to provide a great sporting atmosphere and better competition which the koreans will not be able to provide.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smartblade View Post
    NBC coverage is horrible... Canada's coverage is amazing, mind you the olympics were in Canada, but i even remember watching the 2002 olympics and Canada's CBC coverage still out did NBC and the olympics were in the United states.

I travelled to the Philippines and was worried i was going to miss the final 3 days of the olympics last year and not be able to watch the women's free skate, the hockey finals, curling finals or closing ceremonies. To my surprise the philippines has a 24HR sports channel that was devoted to televising the winter olympics (thank you solar sport network) i was able to watch it all. There wasn't even a single athlete competing for the Philippines.
    it was very surprising that we got to have regular broadcast of the winter olympics here and i pretty much enjoyed it. i remember the closing ceremony had commentators from a NZ network but used the same feed as what was provided by the Olympic Broadcast Services. same as what's on their youtube page. OBSV gave me several souvenirs since they were my client.
    Last edited by lexeoe; 06-08-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    It would be awesome if they found a way to deliver it to consumers, free-of-charge, minimal ads, NO restrictions, reliable streams. But that's only in a perfect world, right?
    And who will cover the costs? The world isn't free.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    That's complete BS. The Commonwealth Games run on the same cycle and formula as the Olympics. India had seven years to prepare. They had plenty of time.

I'm not saying that automatically Korea shouldn't have it. It certainly sounds like they have the facilities and economic stability to host it and if they are really the best city for the job go for it. I just don't like this attitude of "every kiddy wins a prize". If a country isn't capable, they're not capable. End of. No, "but they haven't had a turn".
    totally agree with this. and India didn't do that well. lots of problems which will put athens to shame. can't imagine what the athletes had to go through during the lead up to the games. some of them were held up in their respective training camps waiting for a go signal if they will travel to delhi or not. also delhi still has some bills unpaid for the games. ric birch for example has taken delhi organizers to court for non-payment. just to add delhi won the bid in november of 2003.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I'd be willing to watch for free online with substantial ads.

vCash
    Is Peggy Flemming still a commentator? I used to like her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Is Peggy Flemming still a commentator? I used to like her.
    Peggy Fleming was a skating commentator for ABC, but has not done any commentary since NBC gained the rights for figure skating broadcasts in the US.

vCash
    I just wish they'd stop the tape delay for the West Coast.

vCash
    Are we stuck with Scott & Sandra till eternity?
    It would certainly feel like eternity if those two would be commentating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    AMEN! That was completely annoying with Vancouver -- having to stay up till the end of coverage to watch an event that you knew the results of, but couldn't see until NBC decided to let you.

I was lucky enough to be in Whistler for part of the Olympics -- was able to watch Canadian coverage -- LIVE, very little commentary during the skating, and OMG they showed ALL the skaters -- not just the final group + the Canadians.

I know with the time zone difference for Sochi, there will be either tape delay or getting up in the wee hours of the morning to watch an event, but I REALLY hope they will use some of their cable channels to just show the sports. I keep hoping that they will understand figure skating is an event that you can show in it's entirety and still have plenty of time for ads.

Leave all the warm and fuzzy, triumph over adversity human interest stuff for their prime time show, and let the people who aren't actually interested in sports watch the Olympics there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    That would be nice. I assume at least the online coverage (and cable TV coverage) will be seen "live" in all time zones. Remains to be seen what they do with NBC, but live NBC coverage on west coast is extremely unlikely given that it was the AFFILIATES that pushed for tape-delay coverage, even when Ebersol wanted to do live across the country. I assume that demand won't change w/Comcast leadership.

Now here's the thing: if the east coast feed is ALREADY tape-delayed (as will be the case in Sochi, since it will be wee hrs of morning there), then no point syncing show time w/the west coast, particularly if the live broadcasts are available everywhere.

Or: If NBC feels gutsy, they can do this for Rio: Show the prime time show live on the east coast, tape-delayed on west coast, BUT- offer live online stream for those on west coast that wish to see live coverage. That way you please the affiliates AND the sports folks. Still will get the big prime-time audience on WC, I'd imagine.
    Last edited by RD; 06-08-2011 at 04:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Hence why I mentioned "only in a perfect world"...

Obviously they're going to need to find a way to turn a profit from such an offering, and that's why I suspect they will charge for such service. Actually, I'd rather pay a small fee and get no ads than to have a free stream and have to deal with them (and/or commercials)

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Actually, I'd rather pay a small fee and get no ads than to have a free stream and have to deal with them (and/or commercials)
    I think they should do both. Offer a pay stream that is ad free and offer a free stream that has ads. I'd be fine with ads.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast