Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 79
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,090
    vCash
    721
    Rep Power
    15562
    My problem with Sandra Bezic is that she has a financial interest in some of the skaters she is commenting on. Maybe not so much now, but in the past it wasn't unusual for her to have done the choreography for the skater(s) she was commenting on. I think at least a public disclaimer is in order when that happens.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,914
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    if it's any consolation (sigh), NBC does have new leadership now and may drive coverage of the Games in a different direction than the traditional approach we've seen.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Still voting in the icenetwork "It's your move!" contest.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22,994
    vCash
    80943
    Rep Power
    83213
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    If either one of them gets laryngitis, I'll do it. I'm cheaper!

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Let start a petition for NBC to hire Terry Gannon .

    I wonder if Dick will be with the NBC team? It was really awkward having him as a 3rd wheel in the Hamilton-Bezic pairing.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    114
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Just no more Hamilton PLEASE! He would not shut up in Vancouver, and clearly played favorites. I agree with posters above in that they should hire Tara.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    26
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    The news about NBC is interesting. With Dick Ebersol NBC leaving a month ago, there was a lot of speculation that FOX or ESPN might spend the money to get the Olympics. Also, given that NBC lost money (about 25%) on the Vancouver Games, some articles speculated that Comcast (NBC's owner) would be more conservative than GE (NBC's former owner).
    GE still owns 49% of NBC. They're owners, just not majority owners.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    28735
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Let start a petition for NBC to hire Terry Gannon .

    I wonder if Dick will be with the NBC team? It was really awkward having him as a 3rd wheel in the Hamilton-Bezic pairing.
    Tara & Terry -- I like it!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,990
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    if it's any consolation (sigh), NBC does have new leadership now and may drive coverage of the Games in a different direction than the traditional approach we've seen.
    On the other hand - they could easily make it worse.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,914
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    On the other hand - they could easily make it worse.
    IF they stick to their promise of live coverage of every event- and deliver it without extensive hassle (i.e. must be comcast subscriber or some other crap), then they really have nowhere to go but up.

    ETA: I would not be shocked if they chose to charge for live Olympic coverage (i.e. a subscription for a flat fee, like they had for Worlds coverage on Universal Sports). In fact, I practically EXPECT them to do so.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,299
    vCash
    402
    Rep Power
    4341
    Quote Originally Posted by jcopper View Post
    GE still owns 49% of NBC. They're owners, just not majority owners.
    Comcast is the majority owner and thus makes the final decisions for NBC Universal. Additionally, GE will be giving up more and more of it's minority stock in the next few years.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    ETA: I would not be shocked if they chose to charge for live Olympic coverage (i.e. a subscription for a flat fee, like they had for Worlds coverage on Universal Sports). In fact, I practically EXPECT them to do so.
    Argh. That would suck. That's the main reason that I never get to see competitions.

    Honestly, though, it would probably shoot ratings in the foot. But you're right, everything's an extra charge these days. Isn't there any consolation for broke college students?

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In little Yuna's Corner
    Posts
    771
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    i'm really hoping munich prevails. excuse for the term but frack (can't type the actual word here) new frontiers argument if that's all they have going for them. i'm really hoping sporting traditions prevail rather than something else.
    i have no problem if Munich wins the bid. After all they have the experience. BUT if Pyeongchang gets the bid then it will be great too. IOC needs to expand the games from other countries. Give them a chance.

    NBC's coverage of Winter olympics coverage was terrible.

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,201
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    36240
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    Just Tweeted by Philip Hersh: NBC says it will make every event available live on one platform or another.

    Confirmed: "We will make every event, on one platform or another, live." - Mark Lazarus, NBC, on #NBCUniversal coverage of Oly Games
    That's pretty impressive I've gotta say. It'll take a tremendous effort to co-ordinate that. Well done.

    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    All I ask is that I get to hear the music!
    YES PLEASE! Something I like about the non-English speaking European commentators (especially the Russians/Italians I think) - I've discovered this on YT videos - is that they talk a bit before the skater starts, and are then mostly silent during the program. More of that!

    Quote Originally Posted by SkateSkates View Post
    Just no more Hamilton PLEASE! He would not shut up in Vancouver, and clearly played favorites. I agree with posters above in that they should hire Tara.
    Bezic was just as bad. Hamilton at least came close to saying something nice about Plushenko once or twice. Bezic made it extremely clear that Lysacek could have fallen on his backside eight times and she would still think he deserved it more than Plushenko. Plushenko could have done quints for all she cared! It was really horrible stuff, actually, and completely unprofessional, regardless of which side of the fence you sit on.

    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    i have no problem if Munich wins the bid. After all they have the experience. BUT if Pyeongchang gets the bid then it will be great too. IOC needs to expand the games from other countries. Give them a chance.

    NBC's coverage of Winter olympics coverage was terrible.
    No, they don't. The first and foremost consideration of the IOC should be if the country is stable enough to host an Olympics. I mean, Rio for the 2016 summer games was a STUPID idea. Who thought of that? Murder capital of the world, great idea. No-one will be safe, especially not spectators who might unwittingly wander into a black spot. But well done IOC on expanding the Olympics... /sarcasm

    If Korea's bid shows that they are capable, sure, why not. But if there are holes in the bid, then they don't get it. We don't want another Athens (barely ready in time) or India with the Commonwealth Games (not ready at all).


    Here in Australia our feed was the NBC, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,990
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    i have no problem if Munich wins the bid. After all they have the experience. BUT if Pyeongchang gets the bid then it will be great too. IOC needs to expand the games from other countries. Give them a chance.

    NBC's coverage of Winter olympics coverage was terrible.
    Just remember that South Korea has hosted an Olympics - 1988. None of the main countries in the running for 2018 is a first time country.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,914
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Argh. That would suck. That's the main reason that I never get to see competitions.

    Honestly, though, it would probably shoot ratings in the foot. But you're right, everything's an extra charge these days. Isn't there any consolation for broke college students?
    It would be awesome if they found a way to deliver it to consumers, free-of-charge, minimal ads, NO restrictions, reliable streams. But that's only in a perfect world, right?

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In little Yuna's Corner
    Posts
    771
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

    No, they don't. The first and foremost consideration of the IOC should be if the country is stable enough to host an Olympics. I mean, Rio for the 2016 summer games was a STUPID idea. Who thought of that? Murder capital of the world, great idea. No-one will be safe, especially not spectators who might unwittingly wander into a black spot. But well done IOC on expanding the Olympics... /sarcasm

    If Korea's bid shows that they are capable, sure, why not. But if there are holes in the bid, then they don't get it. We don't want another Athens (barely ready in time) or India with the Commonwealth Games (not ready at all).

    Here in Australia our feed was the NBC, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

    Like what I said I don't have a problem if Munich gets the bid for that matter. I'm just saying that if IOC thinks Pyeongchang, Munich or Annecy fits to host the games, then go for it.. and it's time for an Asian country to host the games other than Japan.

    As for Rio, well, 2016 is still far away. To say it's a stupid idea to let them host the Summer olympics is quiet ridiculous.

    Athens did well enough. Sure, there were some worries but at the end the Olympics was successful. India didn't have time to prepare. But I don't see any similarities between Pyeongchang and India. Pyeongchang has both the financial and public/govt. support. They're one of the most stable economies in the world. This is the third time, some of their stadiums are already ready.

    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Just remember that South Korea has hosted an Olympics - 1988. None of the main countries in the running for 2018 is a first time country.
    That's true but Winter Olympics is quiet different from the Summer games.
    Last edited by riveredge; 06-08-2011 at 05:08 AM.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    52
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    NBC coverage is horrible... Canada's coverage is amazing, mind you the olympics were in Canada, but i even remember watching the 2002 olympics and Canada's CBC coverage still out did NBC and the olympics were in the United states.

    I travelled to the Philippines and was worried i was going to miss the final 3 days of the olympics last year and not be able to watch the women's free skate, the hockey finals, curling finals or closing ceremonies. To my surprise the philippines has a 24HR sports channel that was devoted to televising the winter olympics (thank you solar sport network) i was able to watch it all. There wasn't even a single athlete competing for the Philippines.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    28735
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    No, they don't. The first and foremost consideration of the IOC should be if the country is stable enough to host an Olympics. I mean, Rio for the 2016 summer games was a STUPID idea. Who thought of that? Murder capital of the world, great idea. No-one will be safe, especially not spectators who might unwittingly wander into a black spot. But well done IOC on expanding the Olympics... /sarcasm
    What is a "black spot"? In any case, millions of people vacation in Rio every year, so it can't be that bad.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,811
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I like the way CCTV commentates. They say some stuff before the skater starts, shut up so you can enjoy the performance, and then make their commentary. (I don't speak Chinese, so I don't know if it's good commentary, but I like that format)

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    404
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I like the way CCTV commentates. They say some stuff before the skater starts, shut up so you can enjoy the performance, and then make their commentary. (I don't speak Chinese, so I don't know if it's good commentary, but I like that format)

    i would pay extra to have a commentary-free feed. i don't need their spoon fed garbage.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •