Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Emmys, Schmemmys, and other Gimmes (TV awards - summer 2011)

Emmy noms aren't out for another few weeks, but a few critics and other types of awards will be trickling out ... maybe giving some insight as to what to expect from Emmy.

Yesterday, nominations were announced for the new "Critics Choice Television Awards", from the the Broadcast Television Journalists Association (BTJA). Apparently, a "rival" critics association to the Television Critics Association was desperately needed, so here we are. Eh, the more awards, the more and kvetching!

Critics Choice Noms

Cheers!:

Best Comedy Series: “Archer” (FX) Definitely in the Awesomenest Shows on TV Category alongside Tosh.0 and Amazing Race and some others ... “Community” (NBC) Surely, an indication that its inventiveness is about to be recognized, finally

Best Actor in a Comedy Series: Alec Baldwin for “30 Rock” Sure, I know the complaint -- he's recognized every for every award. However, he is perfection.

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Danny Pudi for “Community" About time!

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Jane Krakowski for “30 Rock” Still a tour de force ... Busy Philipps for “Cougar Town” Love it!

Best Reality Series — Competition: “The Amazing Race” (ABC) Strong year! ... “RuPaul’s Drag Race” (Logo) I'd PML if RDR is nominated for an Emmy ... “Top Chef” (Bravo) Such a strong first half of the season! Truly in the running for an Emmy repeat.

Jeers:

You know, I really enjoy Modern Family, but there are people being ignored from Community and 30 Rock (and elsewhere I'm sure). I still want Sophia Vergara to win, however!

Best Reality Series — Competition: “Project Runway” (Lifetime) Really? Er, was there a Gretchen-free episode I missed?

Best Reality Show Host nods include Tom Bergeron for “Dancing With the Stars,” Cat Deeley for “So You Think You Can Dance” (Fox), Ty Pennington for “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition,” Mike Rowe for “Dirty Jobs” (Discovery) and Ryan Seacrest for “American Idol.” All fine and talented people (though Ty is as obnoxious a pesky house fly), but no Phil Koeghan -- yet again.

Things that Make You Go Hmmm:

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: wow, no Toni Collette?

Glee barely making a ripple ... no Morrison no Michele no Colfer, just series and Lynch. Harbinger of dry times ahead, Emmy nomination time?

vCash
    If Cat Deely doesn't finally get a emmy nom I'm going to be She's always amazing.

vCash
    And YAY for Joel McHale and Courteney Cox!!

I really wish someone would nominate Jennifer Carpenter for supporting actress for Dexter. She is outstanding!

And as for the lack of Colfer - he's not a comedic actor on Glee, so IMO that's why he doesn't get Emmy (etc) noms, because the show is in the comedy category. It's why his Globes win was awesome, because the globes don't separate supporting TV actors into drama/comedy/miniseries.

Even though it wasn't a great season, I have to say I'm surprised at absolutely no True Blood (I would have at least had it ahead of the suprrisingly underhwelming Walking Dead). Or at least some recognition for Denis O'Hare for his turn as Russell Edgington. Maybe guest actor at the Emmys then...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    And as for the lack of Colfer - he's not a comedic actor on Glee, so IMO that's why he doesn't get Emmy (etc) noms, because the show is in the comedy category. It's why his Globes win was awesome, because the globes don't separate supporting TV actors into drama/comedy/miniseries.
    ITA. He isn't really there for comedic purposes, so I'm not shocked if/when he isn't nominated when the award is "Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series." But if it's "Best Supporting Actor," he makes sense.

vCash
    I'm surprised about Laura Linney not getting a nomination for The Big C. I thought she got this year's Emmy in the bag with the pilot episode. She surpassed my favorite, Edie Falco in Nurse Jackie.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I'm so happy to see Martha Plimpton there for Best Actress in a Comedy Series. She is just wonderful in Raising Hope.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Sooooooo want RuPaul's Drag Race to get a nod!

vCash
    I'm loving all the Good Wife acting nods. Margulies, Cumming and Panjabi were outstanding. The two women rocked the episodes dealing with the big Peter/Kalinda revelation. Cumming was such a great addition and I'm glad he'll be back!

Modern Family Jim Parsons Martha Plimpton (one of the best parts of Raising Hope, IMO!)
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I'm surprised about Laura Linney not getting a nomination for The Big C. I thought she got this year's Emmy in the bag with the pilot episode. She surpassed my favorite, Edie Falco in Nurse Jackie.
    I will be shocked if she isn't nominated for an Emmy. Heck, I will be shocked if she doesn't win it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Emmy noms are announced this Thursday, so I went looking for this thread. Then noticed ...

I'd balleyhooed the new Critics Choice Awards nominations, but didn't notice that the winners were announced three weeks ago.

Busy Busy Busy!

Mike Rowe wuz rewarded

Drag Race wuz robbed!

Can you give me two good reasons why Christina Hendricks would win?

Camille Grammar can now say that she's "award winning" ... but so can the woman with 200 cats in her house.

And Goddess Tina won this lead actress award, but I agree Brian in that the CCA-nom-snubbed Laura Linney will take The Big E.
    Last edited by Beefcake; 07-11-2011 at 10:03 PM.

vCash
    What do you think of Boomer's Emmy Award predictions? He has gotten it more-or-less right in the past.

http://boomer.awardsheaven.net/

I noticed that in the past few days, he changed the rankings somewhat and now as Game of Thrones taking the last spot for Best Drama over The Killing.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I hope his predictions about Justified are correct.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    What do you think of Boomer's Emmy Award predictions? He has gotten it more-or-less right in the past.

http://boomer.awardsheaven.net/

I noticed that in the past few days, he changed the rankings somewhat and now as Game of Thrones taking the last spot for Best Drama over The Killing.
    I hope he's wrong about a couple of things (won't bore you with my rant, LOL) but most of them make a decent amount of sense. I'm a huge Glee fan but the only person from this past season who deserves to be nominated from the actors is Chris Colfer (not sure how he has Matthew Morrison listed so high). I'll probably get blasted for this statement too but I'm really tired of all the recognition going to the cable shows. There are a lot of quality network shows airing now and they deserve some recognition too. So help me if Friday Night Lights gets snubbed for it's two lead actors this year (they should be in there) and I REALLY want the show to sneak in there and get a Drama Series nod this this year too. *prays*

I'm still holding out hope that KaDee Strickland gets a nomination for her heartbreaking performance on Private Practice this year but that idiot didn't even have her on his list so now I'm really bummed out.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    I seriously can't think of any episode in which Matthew Morrison gave a stand-out performance. He had much weaker material this season compared to last.

vCash
    Mike Rowe won reality host? Seriously? Mmmmkay... Cat Deeley robbed again (and I don't even like SYTYCD)!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post

I'm still holding out hope that KaDee Strickland gets a nomination for her heartbreaking performance on Private Practice this year but that idiot didn't even have her on his list so now I'm really bummed out.
    Not that the probability is high, but I don't think he had Sharon Gless up for Burn Notice last year but she received a pretty shocking nomination, so it could still happen.

vCash
    I seriously can't think of any episode in which Matthew Morrison gave a stand-out performance. He had much weaker material this season compared to last.
    Agreed, even with a better storyline he's by far the weak link* on TV's own jeckyl & hyde, Glee ...

... and this coming from a guy who bristles at the cartoon corner they've written Jane Lynch's character into.

*unless you count the writing.

Brian, after Miss Cat has crawled through raw sewage under an Indian restaurant restroom to get to a nuclear waste silo where - in 120 degree heat - she'll sort the male spiney spitting slugs from the female spiney spitting slugs ... we'll talk about her merits over my fake husband Mike Rowe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post

Brian, after Miss Cat has crawled through raw sewage under an Indian restaurant restroom to get to a nuclear waste silo where - in 120 degree heat - she'll sort the male spiney spitting slugs from the female spiney spitting slugs ... we'll talk about her merits over my fake husband Mike Rowe.
    Not fair! She has to work with Nigel Lythgoe. For that, she deserves much more than an Emmy. She has probably been sexually harassed more times than she can count.
    -Brian

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    YAY FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS!!!!!!!!

Not surprised to see KaDee get snubbed but I'm over the moon for all the FNL love this year! Its about dang time! I cant post the list because I'm posting from my phone but its posted at TV Guide's website, eonline, and the official Emmy site now.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Friday Night Lights is nominated for Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Drama, and Best Writing (the finale episode, airs tomorrow night on NBC, sniff sniff).
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast