Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Last weekend was my oldest nephew's wedding. Very meaningful; my mom's tallis (Jewish prayer shawl) was used for the chuppah (wedding canopy). Since it was a conservadox ceremony (gender equality being the only non-Orthodox aspect), a little handout was prepared, explaining what was going on ... including the story behind the tallis (it was made by my sister out of a tablecloth that belonged to mom's mom, and her sons tied the ritual knots). Very helpful for their un-observant aunt and uncle! Good food, and the bride -- and groom -- both looked extremely happy.

vCash
    I haven't attended any weddings this year; I attended 2 last year. One was a very Greek wedding. The ceremony was about an hour long and most of it was in Greek. the reception was fun but the speeches went on and on. The amount of food was You could fill up on the cocktail hour alone. By the time dinner came around I wasn't really hungry anymore.
    The only wedding I'm attending this year is my own. The colors are pink and gray, but I picked dark shades not pastel like. I have 3 girls and they picked their own dresses. The ceremony is going to be in fiance's grandfather's backyard and the reception will be at the local community house. I've been told I'm the most laid back bride ever. : I can't imagine going all crazy like the gals on the Bridezillas show although I'm sure some of their antics is just acting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela-Fan View Post
    The only wedding I'm attending this year is my own. The colors are pink and gray, but I picked dark shades not pastel like. I have 3 girls and they picked their own dresses. The ceremony is going to be in fiance's grandfather's backyard and the reception will be at the local community house. I've been told I'm the most laid back bride ever. : I can't imagine going all crazy like the gals on the Bridezillas show although I'm sure some of their antics is just acting.
    One of my attendants got disgusted with me for being "too laid back" because I wouldn't pick out her shoes or her nail polish.

vCash
    Angela-Fan -- Your wedding plans sound just lovely. Hope you're able to keep it low-key and low stress. My s-i-l got so stressed dealing with her (divorced) parents that she was a basket case by the wedding. Not nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Preach it! If you could fit all that on a bumper sticker, I guarantee it'd be a bestseller.

Of course, sometimes the trouble is that brides genuinely think hideous = pretty.
    I'm reminded of the poufy, seafoam green gowns one of my friends inflicted on her bridesmaids back during the late 1980s. She fell in love with them because of the color but the actual design was fugly, imo.

vCash
    My brother just tied the knot this weekend! First wedding I've attended of the year. I was a bridesmaid, and our matching dresses started falling apart once we got them on. I kept bugging people for a safety pin and must have been such a pest. It was also the first time I'd worn something strapless, ever. Not a comfortable day.

The bride was SO LAID BACK and easy going all day, and one of the most beautiful brides I've ever seen.

It was a traditional ceremony at our childhood catholic church. I think I'm a bit jealous he got to get married there and I won't, but I refuse to have my wedding back "home." Pretty standard dinner/dance/etc. We were all a blubbering mess during speeches, though. I'm just glad the bride's brother and I (whom I've known forever) got to give our toasts first to avoid having to pull it together. Didn't think I'd cry at all, and was pretty grateful I wore fake eyelashes.

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    One of my attendants got disgusted with me for being "too laid back" because I wouldn't pick out her shoes or her nail polish.
    I probably bugged my s-i-l a bit much about these things, but only because she seemed so picky at first with us wearing matching shoes and such. I ran every decision by her in case she had a preference. Maybe it was annoying, but it's her day and I wanted to make sure I didn't do anything she didn't want me to do.

Next wedding is my own. My bridesmaids are wearing black cocktail dresses. I don't care where they get them or how much they are-- they'll be comfortable, they'll feel gorgeous and look amazing. If they outshine me, they outshine me (it's possible-- I'd rather wear black than white!). My other half is the only one whose opinion matters, and he'll think I'm the best looking one that day. So who cares, otherwise?

I just hope I have nice things said about me in the speeches. My brother must have paid people off or undergoes a personality transformation when he's not around the immediate family, based on the things said of him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    My 1st wedding (that didn't "take") I had my 2 sisters as attendants & I wouldn't pick their dresses or even the color. I told them to find dresses they liked & to let me know the color. They ended up buying fabric & making the dresses & they were beautiful - floral print in spring colors with a vee neck, fluttery sleeves, & long A-line skirt. Afterwards they cut off the dresses short & made dressy summer dresses. I let my mother plan the reception.

The only thing I cared about was how I looked & I had a real problem finding a dress I liked. My mother worked with a girl who had just gotten married & she offered her dress which was gorgeous. So I really didn't even pick out my own dress. I think my shoes were my something new.

vCash
    Yesterday, I attended my second wedding of the summer. It took place in Aurora, Colorado, a Denver suburb. The bride was my 53 year old cousin. Her groom is 56. It's the second marriage for both. My cousin eloped to Las Vegas for her first marriage so she wanted a church wedding and all the trimmings this time. Given their ages and the fact that her mother is an elderly retiree living on a fixed income; I'm assuming that she and the groom paid for everything themselves.

The groom is a minister. The wedding took place at his church yesterday afternoon with one of his colleagues officiating. My cousin wore a pretty, if rather matronly, ice blue lace and chiffon, ankle-length dress with a sweetheart neckline and ice blue lace cap with face veil. Her 24 year old daughter was her maid-of-honor. She wore a sky blue, knee-length dress with spaghetti straps and a-line skirt. The bride's elder brother walked her down the aisle and gave her away.

The reception was at the clubhouse in my cousin's subdivision. She had a Mexican buffet lunch with tortilla chips, guacamole, salsa, veggie quesadillas, beef fajitas, chicken fajitas, roasted corn and red pepper salad, tossed green salad, fruit kabobs, tres leches cake and sangria. Denver has a large Mexican-American community and both the bride and groom love Mexican food.

I lost touch with these cousins after they moved to Colorado during the early 1970s and only reestablished contact with them six years ago. The wedding and reception was a nice informal family reunion.
    Last edited by Civic; 08-01-2011 at 04:58 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Note to insecure brides: Hello!?! You're the bride. Everyone stands when you walk down the aisle; you're the only wearing a white gown and veil. You simply can not be overlooked or upstaged on your wedding day. Also, an act motivated by insecurity and pettiness is really not the way to start your marriage. So chill out and pick pretty, flattering dresses for your attendants. If it's something they can wear again, so much the better. They'll be happy, your wedding photos will look so much better and good karma will flow your way.

(Steps down from soapbox)
    So true. I don't get this "uglify the bridesmaids" thing. I told my MOH to wear the prettiest gown she can find, end of story (didn't have bridesmaids). The MOH looked beautiful in her dress which made me happy and the pictures nice.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12