Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

'Tis the Season. Wedding reports!

I went to my first wedding of the summer this afternoon. I've got another one coming up in mid July and a third during Labor Day weekend. It was all very nice but two things stood out for me:

1) The bride wore a white straw picture hat trimmed with white tulle roses in lieu of a veil. I hadn't seen a bride wear a hat since the 1980s. Does anyone know if this is a new trend?

2) The food was unusual for a wedding reception but very good. My cousin hired an Italian deli to cater it. They served pressed sandwiches, pasta salad, roasted veggie salad, tossed green salad, a yummy fruit salad, soft drinks, and an alcoholic punch they called an Italian spritzer. I never would have thought of having a tiramasu wedding cake but it was delicious.

My cousin's mother was a bit worried about not serving a hot meal or champagne. But given that the temperature reached 91F today, I think everyone was fine with a cold buffet dinner. The Italian spritzer was certainly more refreshing than champagne would have been in this heat. I'm not sure what was all in it but I had two cups of it since I wasn't driving.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Wheeee! I love other people's weddings.

I went to my first Lutheran wedding recently and it was very special, made so in no small part by the minister. He started out by snarking about Rapture day and how it didn't happen. But along with levity there were a lot of profound and beautiful things that he said to us.
    The bride wore an understated satin strapless A-line and a poofy veil. Her hair was up and a bit poofy as well.

The food was OK. The cake was delicious, strawberry cream with cream frosting. The most amazing part was the band, literally the best I've ever heard at a wedding, including my own. They were amazing and everyone danced their butts off.

What's a picture hat?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    ...What's a picture hat?
    It's a dressy woman's hat with a wide brim. Have you ever seen "Gone With the Wind"? Remember the hat Scarlett O'Hara wore to the barbeque early in the film? That was the ultimate picture hat, imo. They're called picture hats because 18th century English painters like Gainsborough used to paint pictures of English ladies wearing ornate, wide-brimmed hats.

(20+ years of helping college students do research for term papers)

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yeah, I remember Scarlett's hat and thought it was kind of cool. Then I remembered Samantha's hat in Sex In The City 1 when she is on the beach and is ogling a surfer while eating guacamole and think it's less cool. Depends on a hat.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I am going to a wedding in August. Outside. In Texas.

I will never forgive my cousin for this.

I've never heard of the hat trend. I did a veil but I figured this would be the one day in my life I'd wear one, so just go all out, yo!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

Texas gets very hot in the summer and if you're in the Eastern part of the state or near the Gulf it will also be humid. Will all the festivities be outside or just the wedding ceremony?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Texas gets very hot in the summer and if you're in the Eastern part of the state or near the Gulf it will also be humid. Will all the festivities be outside or just the wedding ceremony?
    I think everything is outside, I'm not sure. Granted, I've been to weddings outside in Florida for other family members, so I can probably handle it. It's other people in our family I'm worried about!

vCash
    I'm going to a wedding in July (the groom is my brother's best friend).

All I know is the bride picked out the bridesmaids' dresses and made sure they were bland and dark because she didn't want any of the attention to be taken away from her.

I think this one's gonna be entertaining!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    All I know is the bride picked out the bridesmaids' dresses and made sure they were bland and dark because she didn't want any of the attention to be taken away from her.
    She'll regret it when she sees the ugly pictures.

I went to a wedding May 15 in San Antonio which was held at one of the old mission churches. The chapel had 1 foot thick walls & the grounds, which looked like a botanical garden, were surrounded by brick walls except where it overlooked the river.

The wedding was indoors but the reception & dinner were outside. First, while the wedding party took pictures we went out to the patio & had drinks (full bar) & canapes. Then we all went to where there were tables for 10 set up for dinner. We had a strawberry & field greens salad, beef tournedo, chicken breast with a cream sauce, potatoes Anna, & asperagas. Then there was white cake, chocolate cake, & fudge cake with champagne. It was not buffet, they had waiters bringing all the food in courses.

Afterward we went back indoors & they set up the bar again & had a DJ & we danced. Everything was so special & the food was yummy.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh I forgot to mention that I don't get the super embarrassing/TMI toasts I've been hearing lately at weddings.

There is a fine line between humor and insult and I've seen this line crossed twice in the past few years. One was the MOH who called the groom Lao Ma which is "old horse" in Mandarin. It was not a "Hao Lao Ma" reference. The way it was done, it made everyone uncomfortable, including the groom. She also said in reply to the evite to the bridal shower: "Hey Bride, you always said you'd be the most beautiful woman on your wedding day. Lets see if you can pull this off." It was weird. Is there some kind of custom to dis the bride that I am not aware of?

And this time around the groom's ADHD was made fun of which I didn't find funny and neither did our table.

What's next? Toasting the bride with "hey, remember this one time you had a killer yeast infection?"
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 06-07-2011 at 12:55 AM.

from Speedy Death

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

It was bad enough when my friend's wedding was INDOORS in Houston in July. Our dresses weren't that hot (sleeveless, of course!) and we basically sprinted from church to bus to reception venue and didn't leave that until after dark but it was still HOT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    I'm going to a wedding in July (the groom is my brother's best friend).

I think this one's gonna be entertaining!
    Note to insecure brides: Hello!?! You're the bride. Everyone stands when you walk down the aisle; you're the only wearing a white gown and veil. You simply can not be overlooked or upstaged on your wedding day. Also, an act motivated by insecurity and pettiness is really not the way to start your marriage. So chill out and pick pretty, flattering dresses for your attendants. If it's something they can wear again, so much the better. They'll be happy, your wedding photos will look so much better and good karma will flow your way.

(Steps down from soapbox)

vCash
    taf2002, that sounds wonderful!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    taf2002, that sounds wonderful!
    It was one of the nicest weddings I've ever gone to and it was put together in only 6 wks. (If you have the money you can do anything. The bride is a surgeon & the groom is an attorney.) I don't very often go to out of town weddings but the mother of the bride & I have been friends for over 25 yrs. I was really glad we went.

vCash
    I went to my first one of the year on Saturday as well. Overall, I would describe it as a good wedding, with the main drawback being the terrible toast to the groom. It was done by all four groomsmen, went on FOREVER, and involved the same running joke over and over that was only mildly amusing the first time and not at all by the 20th. The other downside was that I got a ride to the wedding and sat with a friend and her absolutely awful boyfriend (on the way over, she had to instruct him several times not to make racist jokes at the wedding, there's a winner ). But luckily he hates weddings and left right after the supper. Those things aside, the bride was beautiful, the food was great, and the dance was fun with a good DJ. I knew lots of people at the wedding, which always helps, and the bride is a close friend meaning that I was in on most of the jokes in the toast to the bride (which was given by my best friend and she did a great job).

I'm off the hook now until August...invited to one in July but I have something else that weekend and I'm not that close to the couple so I don't feel too bad about not going. I'm a bridesmaid in the August one, which should be a good one...

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    My friend's getting married in November, and I'm helping her do invites and will be general adviser to make sure she doesn't go all insane and bridezilla. A little bridezille creeped in this week when she suggested a 4-panel die-cut overlapping paper sculpture, folded to unveil different layers of the art when you flip through the invite. Luckily I'm taking a commercial printing class and was able to run this idea by the teacher. Price just for the die-cut and folding? $1000 for 50. Talked her down really quick about that! Then she had the idea that she could cut all of that out by herself, but I hope I talked her out of that as well, since she just started planning and there's A LOT of other things she could be doing with her time!

My main concern is that it'll be at a really high-class (read: $$$) venue known for its food and they won't be able to afford a lot of it. Most of the guests aren't huge drinkers and they'll be charging by what we actually drink, so that's not big deal. But we're Asian and I expect a lot of older traditional folk will be looking forward to a huge 6-course banquet, and I'm a little afraid of what the reaction will be if they're only presented with small plates and hors d'oevres.

vCash
    Went to my nephew's wedding in Baltimore last Saturday and it was lovely. The bride & groom were very relaxed and were glowing-happy. I loved that they were not trying to control every part of the day.

The venue for both the ceremony and reception was a beautiful golf club, and the ceremony took place outdoors -- a breeze helped make the heat quite tolerable. Unobtrusive photographer. Cupcakes, not traditional wedding cake. Meal was chicken stuffed with crab or filet mignon. Dance floor was crowded all night long. Gorgeous bride's dress -- everyone had a collective gasp when she walked down the aisle. The bridesmaids and accent colors were a beautiful shade of green. We had a brunch with the newlyweds the next day, which was very special since many of us came a long distance.

Our family has been through a lot in recent years, including two deaths and a number of health issues. I even improved some estranged relationships. We were looking forward to a happy event, and this fit the bill perfectly.

vCash
    Note to insecure brides: Hello!?! You're the bride. Everyone stands when you walk down the aisle; you're the only wearing a white gown and veil. You simply can not be overlooked or upstaged on your wedding day. Also, an act motivated by insecurity and pettiness is really not the way to start your marriage. So chill out and pick pretty, flattering dresses for your attendants. If it's something they can wear again, so much the better. They'll be happy, your wedding photos will look so much better and good karma will flow your way.

Civic, ITA. I loved Pippa Middleton's white(!) dress but it didn't take away from Kate. I'd want everyone to look as good as possible.

I kinda wish I had a wedding to go to this summer, as crazy as that might sound. Or at the very least some occasion to dress up and be someplace fancy.

vCash
    So...three sets of wedding pictures appeared in my Facebook feed this week.

Two older ones--people put them up for their anniversaries. The weddings were in 2003 and 2005. The third was a wedding that took place last Saturday.

And the bridal gowns were nearly identical. Same style, same cut, beading in the same place...almost exactly the same.

Bridal fashion desperately needs to get out of its rut!

vCash

Preach it! If you could fit all that on a bumper sticker, I guarantee it'd be a bestseller.

Of course, sometimes the trouble is that brides genuinely think hideous = pretty.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast