Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 99 of 99
  1. #81

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31973
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    In case it hasn't been posted, here's a NY Times article with some suggestions.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/ga...?_r=1&emc=eta1

    If all else fails, you could invest in a snake
    I don't mind snakes so much. I know they skeeve some people out, but better a snake than a stinky, gross rodent.

    I think I'm gonna look for a little mouse guillotine on Ebay........or maybe a rack .

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    28735
    Actually, the rack would be more useful, you could use it to get the mouse to confess the whereabouts of his little friends....
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  3. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where banjos play.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    8,070
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Also the other mice could come by and throw things at that mouse, for the times when that mouse got to the crumb first.

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,980
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I don't mind snakes so much. I know they skeeve some people out, but better a snake than a stinky, gross rodent.

    I think I'm gonna look for a little mouse guillotine on Ebay........or maybe a rack .
    Would depend on the snake. My sister shared a house one summer with a 6-foot free-roaming boa constrictor. (It was in SF, of course hippies don't keep their pets in cages. ) It did eat mice, but frozen ones they had to thaw out for it. It would be too slow to catch a live one.

    It would also necessitate leaving the snake free-roaming in your house, which also presents the possibility that it might leave on its own as well.

  5. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    529
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    We live near open grass fields and the mice come into the house as soon as cold fall temperatures happen. We've tried many methods to control the mice (kill and live traps, D-con, steel wool plugging up holes). Since there are usually 10 mice hidden for every 1 you see, and because they reproduce like crazy, the only reliable way to get rid of them for good is to hide D-con all over the house. The dead mice will stink badly (since they die in places hard to find them) for about 5 days, but you will be rid of them for a very long time. I sometimes put the D-con out when we are going away on a long trip and then the smell is no issue. We have had mice invasions for over 30 years in our house, and I can say that we haven't had problems for the past 3 years because I just leave the D-con in a few hidden places (e.g. under the kitchen sink), and the population can never get established in the house.

    The way D-con works is that it makes the rodents bleed internally. Since mice are one of the few mammals that cannot vomit the stuff up, they bleed to death. While the D-con is harmful to other pets, dogs and cats can vomit the stuff up and usually don't die from it but may get pretty ill. You should put the D-con containers in hard to reach places like behind the stove or inside a closet.

  6. #86

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31973
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Actually, the rack would be more useful, you could use it to get the mouse to confess the whereabouts of his little friends....


    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Also the other mice could come by and throw things at that mouse, for the times when that mouse got to the crumb first.
    x2

    Vee huff VAYZ UF MAKING U SQUEAK>............

  7. #87
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,640
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I suspect I have a mouse. This would be the first one I've encountered since I've lived here (just over a year). Just when I think I've gotten over the fear of living alone, something like this has to happen and set me back 20 steps. And I'm having a party on Saturday and now I've got to worry about a mouse. Or should I cancel the party? Ugh, I really miss living with my parents and have my dad deal with this kind of stuff. But I have to grow up and deal with it. No food on the countertop (which is where I found what I think are droppings). I do have a pantry, but if you can't keep food in there to ward off mice then what's the point of having one? I hope I can get rid of it before the party on Saturday. I just am so afraid to see a living one, let alone a dead one that I'll have to dispose of.

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    12,996
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    0
    The snap traps are so cheap and if it's a little mouse, big enough so you really don't need to touch or even get very close to the dead mouse.

    Just look through glazed eyes for the other end of the trap, pick up the whole thing and toss it in the trash. Outside preferably.

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South of New York City
    Posts
    2,062
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    The snap traps are so cheap and if it's a little mouse, big enough so you really don't need to touch or even get very close to the dead mouse.

    Just look through glazed eyes for the other end of the trap, pick up the whole thing and toss it in the trash. Outside preferably.
    Or use a spatula from the dollar store. (My mother used snap traps and that was her way of removing the corpse and trap.)

    Friends of mine recommended putting the trap inside a paper bag set on its side.
    Once the trap was tripped, they just tossed the bag out, mouse, trap and all.

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,640
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Or use a spatula from the dollar store. (My mother used snap traps and that was her way of removing the corpse and trap.)

    Friends of mine recommended putting the trap inside a paper bag set on its side.
    Once the trap was tripped, they just tossed the bag out, mouse, trap and all.
    Both are good ideas! Thank you.

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,980
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I suspect I have a mouse. This would be the first one I've encountered since I've lived here (just over a year). Just when I think I've gotten over the fear of living alone, something like this has to happen and set me back 20 steps. And I'm having a party on Saturday and now I've got to worry about a mouse. Or should I cancel the party? Ugh, I really miss living with my parents and have my dad deal with this kind of stuff. But I have to grow up and deal with it. No food on the countertop (which is where I found what I think are droppings). I do have a pantry, but if you can't keep food in there to ward off mice then what's the point of having one? I hope I can get rid of it before the party on Saturday. I just am so afraid to see a living one, let alone a dead one that I'll have to dispose of.
    We haven't seen any droppings or mice (even dead mice in the trap) for about a week now. The trap is still set on our countertop, I don't know what to do with it now.

    My aunt had trouble with mice and they got so bold that we had regular sightings during the day. But most of the time I think they only come out at night or at least when it's dark, so I don't think you should have anything to fear if there's going to be a party at your place.

    Or maybe our mouse is trying to be on the safe side since we do have a cat and the place we saw the droppings was mere feet from the litter box. But then again, nothing in the traps so far and it's been about a week.

  12. #92
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where banjos play.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    8,070
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The mice are evolving, and learning to avoid traps. It will be like the raptors in Jurassic Park, that learn to turn door handles

  13. #93

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    City of Blinding Light
    Posts
    15,867
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10901
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I suspect I have a mouse. This would be the first one I've encountered since I've lived here (just over a year). Just when I think I've gotten over the fear of living alone, something like this has to happen and set me back 20 steps. And I'm having a party on Saturday and now I've got to worry about a mouse. Or should I cancel the party?
    Why would you cancel the party for a mouse? I mean, unless you're having the party *for* the mouse and the mouse has let you know that he can't possibly attend...

    Seriously, though - no need to cancel the party for a mouse. It's not an issue for most people, and the mouse will likely make himself scarce during the hubub of the event itself.

    If you are highly uncomfortable with the mouse issue, and you have some funds, you could contact an exterminator and have him handle the issue for you.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

  14. #94

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31973
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    The mice are evolving, and learning to avoid traps. It will be like the raptors in Jurassic Park, that learn to turn door handles


    They already use my stove - I found some tiny little mouse cookbooks.

  15. #95

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,373
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19365
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Why would you cancel the party for a mouse? I mean, unless you're having the party *for* the mouse and the mouse has let you know that he can't possibly attend...
    You nearly owed me one new keyboard as I'm finishing my dinner right now...

  16. #96

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,677
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9801
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Why would you cancel the party for a mouse? I mean, unless you're having the party *for* the mouse and the mouse has let you know that he can't possibly attend...


    Seriously, though - no need to cancel the party for a mouse. It's not an issue for most people, and the mouse will likely make himself scarce during the hubub of the event itself.
    I wouldn't worry about it either. The noise and activity will scare the mouse away. I wouldn't even worry about putting food out in the kitchen. Just clean up well afterwards.


    If you are highly uncomfortable with the mouse issue, and you have some funds, you could contact an exterminator and have him handle the issue for you.[/QUOTE]

  17. #97

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep in a Dream
    Posts
    7,551
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16962
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post


    They already use my stove - I found some tiny little mouse cookbooks.
    Sandra Lee's Murine Cuisine: 101 Fun and Fabulous Ways to Use Velveeta?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

  18. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where banjos play.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    8,070
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Sandra Lee's Murine Cuisine: 101 Fun and Fabulous Ways to Use Velveeta?
    LOL, nice.

  19. #99

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31973
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Sandra Lee's Murine Cuisine: 101 Fun and Fabulous Ways to Use Velveeta?
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    LOL, nice.

    Her food could either be a poison...........or a repellent.....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •