Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Nothing wrong with live traps, either. Catch em...take em to the park...let em go. I'm sure if nothing else, a hawk will appreciate the meal.
    Most likely the rats will eat them.

vCash
    Well, food chain and all that.

I used to have pet rats. They are awesome. I think of mice as their smaller, somewhat less awesome cousins.

vCash
    I've been known to save a mouse from my cats on occasion...although with 3 cats, I don't see many. I haven't had a mouse in my house since I lived next to a farm. While I agree with James in concept, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be as nasty and harsh about it.
    Last edited by Badams; 06-06-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Hmmm .. does he deal in mice? Could you ask him how he would proceed if called to a house where someone saw a mouse and has evidenice (visible mouse poops) of mice so I can compare that to what a local company will tell me/what they do? I tend to attract poor service (i.e., get ripped off no matter the circumstance) whenever I hire ANYONE because I am so clueless about everything. I have a big flashing sign that says "sucker" over my head and boy have I been taken advantage of because of it. I'd like to hear what a pro would do so I know what to ask and look for.
    My husband said that any good exterminator will conduct an inspection of the property; they want to see where they are coming in from. They will block the hole and set up bait. Most use these blocks that mice eat and then once they eat, they die within 3 days. Most likely if you have droppings; that is one area that they are nesting in. It never is just one; one one is in, guaranteed others are nearby. With the blocks, some will also place glue traps in strategic places so increase the chance of catching the mouse.

His major tip for the kitchen area is to take the garbage outside every night; leave your countertops clean and free of food. Things like rice, sugar should be in airtight containers.

When dealing with exterminators, ask them for references; how long they've dealt with this type of problem and interview several. Ask neighbors, friends ect for the best person as some are great at the job, others are not. Look for someone who cares about the quality of work he/she completes. Those who care may cost a bit more but so worth it.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    His major tip for the kitchen area is to take the garbage outside every night; leave your countertops clean and free of food. Things like rice, sugar should be in airtight containers.
    We've done that and so far so good. We also make sure there's no cat food left out at night. The cat is a little irritated, but if he's hungry he's welcome to go catch a mouse.

vCash
    And as for disposing mice after catching them on a glue trap...IMO if you're going to kill them, you might as well use a snap trap. That way you won't have to get close to them while they're still alive - I would be squicked out about that. What if they bite me???

Also the note about catching more spiders and centipedes on glue traps than mice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    And as for disposing mice after catching them on a glue trap...IMO if you're going to kill them, you might as well use a snap trap. That way you won't have to get close to them while they're still alive - I would be squicked out about that. What if they bite me???

Also the note about catching more spiders and centipedes on glue traps than mice.
    I'd actually be way WAY more squicked out and worried seeing spiders and centipeides in the house than a mouse. Granted, I wouldn't want a mouse in the house....but I do think they're really adorable. As I do (domestic) rats and hamsters.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Nothing wrong with live traps, either. Catch em...take em to the park...let em go. I'm sure if nothing else, a hawk will appreciate the meal.
    Just FYI for all those who think taking them elsewhere and letting them go is humane, it isn't. Rodents are territorial. They know their territory; where there's food, water and a hidey hole from a predator. Their territory is small. If you put them in a strange place they'll either starve or become prey to something very quickly. This method just assuages your own guilt at killing them. IMO, a fast snap trap is a better option. However, not all snap traps are created equal. There has to be enough tension on the bar to break it's neck. The newer Victor traps have a larger bait platform. Peanut butter alone will dry out and actually keep the trap from tripping. Wet oats are better. Mix them in your mouth till moist and then place a small amount on the trap and put it right next to the base so the animal has to actually get on the trip to reach them. Fast, clean and as humane as being eaten by a cat or snake. Mice can smell when another has been killed. They'll stop coming around after 3-4 have been killed. If they show up again later (new mice), you have to wash the traps or get new ones to attract them to the bait. Unless they're grasshopper mice in the Southwest which are cannibalistic and will eat their trapped comrades. Cute but not very nice little beasties.

Mice will mature in about 6 weeks. Females can have 3-6 litters of pups a year. Two mice will equal hundreds in months if there is an adequate food supply. Deer mice carry fleas which carry the plague or hantavirus. House mice (the common mousie found in houses) also carry a variety of diseases that can be transferred to humans or to pets, particularly through the urine. Keep potential food in closed storage. NO pet foods should be left out whether in the bag or the pet's bowl.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I had thought that too, rfisher, but my friend was saying that was a myth. I've read various sides to it. I figured they wouldn't survive very long. Although, I suppose if you could catch multiple mice that were living together, and release them with one another, then they'd have a better shot. Release them in a park where there was some cover, etc.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I had thought that too, rfisher, but my friend was saying that was a myth. I've read various sides to it. I figured they wouldn't survive very long. Although, I suppose if you could catch multiple mice that were living together, and release them with one another, then they'd have a better shot. Release them in a park where there was some cover, etc.
    Well, that might work if there weren't other mice already there. We used to release animals we live captured after taking measurements etc. We always took them back as close to the area we caught them as possible. A large animal can be released in a new area, but a small animal isn't going to do well in a strange place. Most don't even survive the capture. But, if it's any consolation, rodents don't live very long anyway since they are prey for lots of other animals. That's why they mature quickly and start having babies as fast as they can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    You're a sanctimonious twat.
    Why don't you just open up a halfway house for mice if you feel so strongly about it? They are PESTS, and I don't have to feel sorry for them.
    Better being a sanctimonious twat than a cruel and malicious twat. Yeah, I do feel strongly about it, unnecessary cruelty that is. Don't really need to open a halfway house to express that, since I don't actually disagree with the killing of mice in general. Yes, I know you're being condescending and sarcastic, but all that does is vindicate my point even further. Thanks for that.

I don't care if they're pests, that isn't the point. It's wrong to let a mouse to suffer so much on a trap like that, end of story. If anything, YOU are the pest. But if I apply that title, does that justify me abusing you? No, of course not. I'm not saying you have to feel sorry for them, I'm saying that the cruelty is totally unnecessary and doing so speaks volumes of you as a human being. A good judge of character is how someone treats those who are more vulnerable than them. That you would torture something to death rather than kill it quickly and mercifully says a lot!

Your attitude is a cancer.

(although there are a few humans in this world I wouldn't mind trapping in a mouse trap)
    I'd like to stick you in a human-sized glue trap. Let's see how you like the experience. Maybe if you'll experience 1/3 the terror and pain you put those poor animals through, you'll be decent enough not to put them through that again. Sometimes, people just suck. You suck. You are one of the reasons why I dislike people in general. You are an extremely vile and bitter person, someone points out your callousness and you respond condescendingly and miss why you're being criticised in the first place. Your excuse "it's a pest" is a weak one, "pest" is an arbitrary title... using it is not a reason to torture something to death. :/
    Last edited by JamesC; 06-07-2011 at 04:58 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    What if they bite me???
    I don't see how if it's stuck to the glue and can't really move. Not like it can lunge at you.

Glue traps are a lot less sanitary because a frightened animal will poop and pee a lot more, and it's trying to wriggle off so it will splash about everywhere. Worse if it manages to escape, leaving a mess everywhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Glue traps are a lot less sanitary because a frightened animal will poop and pee a lot more, and it's trying to wriggle off so it will splash about everywhere. Worse if it manages to escape, leaving a mess everywhere.
    I can attest to this. Unless you enjoy cleaning bloody mouse parts, glue traps are bad for everyone.

vCash
    I don't see how if it's stuck to the glue and can't really move. Not like it can lunge at you.

I can be very very clumsy when I'm nervous. I'd probably drop it on my foot or something.

Good call with the poop/pee, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    I can attest to this. Unless you enjoy cleaning bloody mouse parts, glue traps are bad for everyone.
    My bf was thinking up other kinds of mouse traps (electrocution, guillotine) and I immediately nixed the guillotine idea. For my first lab job we had to cut off the heads of very-recently-deceased rats to get their brains. Once or twice we didn't wait long enough and the heart would still be beating...it is NOT a pretty sight!

vCash
    http://www.simonscat.com/Blog/2011-0...a-little-gift/ A humorous blog on how cats catch mice and bring them to their owner. My brother's cat did this several times. It's morbid, but really cute, how they sit there and meow proudly.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Well I have an old beach house with a lot of leaks - I had an exterminator for years (2 different companies), and they didn't do much for me with the mice (they worked wonders with the ants, crickets, carpenter bees). They put down traps and sealed some holes, but they said there were just too many spots they could come in. I set traps with either peanut butter or hot dog pieces, which they love dearly. I fought the suckers for 5 years. We are usually there Friday to Sunday so they partied all week.

Then I got a cat. We take her with us when we go home, but she must be a general deterrent. She did bring in some live ones at first, but she doesn't hunt much anymore. The other thing that really worked was storing food in plastic or glass containers. Never mind the plastic bags of pasta or rice or whatever, the mice will even eat through boxed foods when left alone all week - Brownie mix, macaroni and cheese, bread crumbs, Indian food pouches in a box, kosher salt, you name it, they chew it. Whatever can't be stored easily in a plastic or glass container goes into the fridge when I leave - cereal, large bags of rice, etc.

I haven't had an exterminator or a problem in several years now.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I think the key is to eliminate the food sources. I keep everything in heavy plastic containers or glass. Nothing stays in the original cardboard cartons. Dog food goes in a special container as well. You have to create a less suitable environment than the rodent can find elsewhere. Humans are a huge boon to the little beasties as we provide all sorts of tasty snacks. Eliminate the snacks and we make much less desirable housemates.

vCash
    psychotic rant snipped
    This post makes me so angry, I think I'm gonna go out and murder some more mice....JamesC's post has turned me into a mouse serial killer. And it's all his fault.

"PLONK".

(Maybe it's just me, but I think JamesC is already a poster here, using an alias to troll...

vCash
    The irony of calling me psychotic when you use glue traps and throw living animals in them into the garbage. And applaud people who duct tape live mice on glue traps. That is psychotic behaviour. The worst I've said is that "you suck" and that you're vile and bitter, because, well... you are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I think the key is to eliminate the food sources. I keep everything in heavy plastic containers or glass. Nothing stays in the original cardboard cartons. Dog food goes in a special container as well. You have to create a less suitable environment than the rodent can find elsewhere. Humans are a huge boon to the little beasties as we provide all sorts of tasty snacks. Eliminate the snacks and we make much less desirable housemates.
    They seem to come out of hibernation or something the same time every year. For a few years, our building was mouse-free, but maybe since 2009, they've been reappearing with warmer weather.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast