Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Extraordinarily creative skaters

I thought of this when I read the thread about Gary Beacom, who was so creative that he seemed to defy the laws of physics in his skating. There are are other skaters that may not have been That creative, but even while competing as eligible skaters their creativity set them apart. Ice dance already has a lot of creativity built into it. For other disciplines it is hard to satisfy the traditional requirements and yet be extraordinarily creative. Win or lose, they were never boring.

I never watched Beacom as an eligible skater, so I don't know if he became creative only as a pro. May be someone can help me out here. BTW many eligible skaters turned very creative once they turned pro.

Other skaters whose creativity (I am not referring to just doing harder jumps or getting into difficult positions while spinning)-

Men:

Toller Cranston
    Philip Candeloro
    Gary Beacom (already mentioned)
    Ryan Bradley

Pairs:

Mishketenok-Dmitriev, with their unique choreography, which was unusual those days in pairs skating

Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze, with their Chaplin LP and other unusual moves like spiral into throw 2R, and spiral-spread eagles

Chinese pairs with their high flying split triple twists and throws

Kazakova-Dmitriev (similar creativity to M&D, using her flexibility)

Savchenko-Szolkowy: their style is very different from the traditional one

Ladies:

Olga Markova

Michelle Kwan in her young years was very creative (COE spiral, spin in two directions, 2 falling leaves in a row, etc.), including the music she chose (there is a separate thread about her & Lori's choreo)

Sasha Cohen created many different looks due to her extraordinary flexibility

I am forgetting the name of the young lady that had two very creative programs at the 2006 US nationals. Need help here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am forgetting the name of the young lady that had two very creative programs at the 2006 US nationals. Need help here.
    Stephanie Rosenthal.

vCash
    Thank you, falling dance. I can't believe I forgot her name!

Watch me move
    vCash
    Gary Beacom was very creative as an amateur skater, particularly since he basically coached himself. At times I thought he might have needed an outside eye to look at his programs and tell him when they were too over-the-top, but he always had a very distinctive style and presence.

I agree with most of your list but I wouldn't include the Chinese pairs (except maybe for Shen/Zhao, who toward their end of their amateur career were doing some really beautiful and original work). IMHO they just did the elements higher or farther than other pairs, which I wouldn't call creative in the sense of inventing something new and different.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Holy crap! Hip Hop in Figure skating! Very enjoyable!
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    What about Shawn Sawyer and Ilia Klimkin?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    What about Debi Thomas? I mean 1986 Words Ex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mm3Fud7Jmo
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Chinese pairs with their high flying split triple twists and throws
    I'm not sure what's creative about that. It's just taking traditional pairs moves and making them bigger than usual.

That said Shen and Zhao did have a distinctive new style when they first made a mark on the world scene. And other than the Protopopovs decades earlier, who else has done forward outside death spirals? I give them creativity points for that move.

It's often hard to know how much creativity comes from the skater and how much from the choreographer, especially with younger skaters.

Some of my favorites from the 1990s:
    Dmitri Dmitrenko

To a lesser degree, Igor Pashkevich, if only for that spiral into spin sequence in the middle of the second program.

I give Alice Sue Claeys creativity credit for playing with different edge changes in spins long before doing so earned an extra level from the technical panel.

Krisztina Czako

Vanessa Gusmeroli

Laetitia Hubert

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    What about Shawn Sawyer and Ilia Klimkin?
    I agree. They were both very creative even as eligible skaters.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Klimkin and Schultheiss
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Stanick Jeanette (sp?)
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    SHAWN SAWYER FOR SURE

Also Jozef Savodcik as a pro, and of course Kurt Browning.

I can't think of any other ladies or pair teams not mentioned.. well Brasseur and Eisler, kinda

vCash
    Vanessa Giunchi was a pretty reliable bringer of the voids during her brief time on the scene:

Schindler's List, 2001 Euros LP

Bolero, 2002 Winter Olympics LP - Not the most original choice of music, but still a fresh and interesting program.

Indian dance music, 2003 Euros SP

vCash
    She was certainly a breath of fresh air!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    That was one of the best SPs I saw in St. Louis and I was one of many people who stood for her at the end of that program. She was a breath of fresh air and her LP was very good and innovative too. I got extremely excited to find out that ESPN had actually shown both of Stephanie's programs during their broadcast. What a great moment for her!

Here's Stephanie's LP from 2006
    Last edited by HeatherC; 06-04-2011 at 06:16 AM.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Watch me move
    vCash
    Vanessa Giunchi was a pretty reliable bringer of the voids during her brief time on the scene:

Schindler's List, 2001 Euros LP

Bolero, 2002 Winter Olympics LP - Not the most original choice of music, but still a fresh and interesting program.

Indian dance music, 2003 Euros SP
    Wow, I had never heard of her until you posted this, but these are all amazing programs. Thanks!
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Laurent Tobel 1999 Worlds LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzpT8vn4ZzQ

vCash
    I agree with Sawyer, Klimkin, Schultheiss, Jeannette and Tobel being mentioned here. They were all pretty amazing and so interesting.

Kristina Czako's Addams Family FS was really creative too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi0FazjCHRQ

I will add Leonova for her Witches of Eastwick FS this year. That really went out there on a limb for something different.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    That was one of the best SPs I saw in St. Louis and I was one of many people who stood for her at the end of that program. She was a breath of fresh air and her LP was very good and innovative too. I got extremely excited to find out that ESPN had actually shown both of Stephanie's programs during their broadcast. What a great moment for her!

Here's Stephanie's LP from 2006
    It was such a thrill to be in the arena for her programs; one of the highlights of the event.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast