Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Is Brandon Mroz still with Tom Z?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Pardon the dumb question, but will she be training @ the same rink as before? Won't that be awkward?
    Joshua Farris also changed coach from Zarkajsek to Christy Krall.
    I think he will be training at the same rink too.

vCash
    Wow, Tom Z's income must be taking quite a hit this year. That is a lot of elite skaters to lose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Wow, Tom Z's income must be taking quite a hit this year. That is a lot of elite skaters to lose.
    I personally think that this should be a huge sign to him-the formula isn't working.

vCash
    I wonder what Brandon Mroz is doing this year. It could be he is moving on to college after his disappointment at Nationals. If he continues skating, he also needs a coaching change IMO.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    I wonder what Brandon Mroz is doing this year.
    Info on Mroz's SP music, program choreographed by Jeff Buttle: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=109

Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    As someone who skates at the Oakton Ice Arena pretty regularly (or used to until I became massively pregnant) I have a lot of familiarity with Santee's coaching style. He is VERY laid back in approach, and very much keeps it positive (as does his brother Jimmie). And he is all about fostering community within his rink, and he doesn't put up with bad behavior on the ice. He's well-loved by his students and beyond for good reason, and frankly i was always puzzled too why Agnes left in the first place considering that when I spoke with her a few months back she was saying how much she missed being in Chicago with her old friends and coach.

Now having said that . . . and remember I'm a huge fan of Santee and the Oakton rink on many levels . . . I'll be interested to see how this works out. Oakton doesn't produce a lot of Regional/Sectional/National competitors regularly, because while I think the coaching is high quality and strong, it's consistently just a hair shy of spectacular. Which is not to say that it couldn't evolve: keep in mind it's where Santee himself trained, and he certainly didn't do too badly in his amatuer days. It's also one of the two rinks where Oleg Vassiliev would being his students when in Chicago, and the staff of coaches there are all very very dedicated to their students and are always working to make themselves better coaches.
    Thanks for the info on the Oakton rink! The USFS press release mentioned her "day-to-day training [with Christy Krall]... in Colorado Springs" so I am wondering how much time Zawadzki will be spending in Chicago with David Santee. She's done with high school for the year, so I assume she will be in Chicago for part of the time this summer.

ETA: The press release mentions that David Santee was her coach when she won the 2007 U.S. Intermediate silver medal but doesn't mention that he also coached her to the Novice 4th place (pewter) medal at 2008 Nationals in St. Paul.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-04-2011 at 07:59 PM.

vCash
    Honestly, I think your guess about Santee being a travel coach for her competitions is about right. He'll probably consult on training plans & programs, and watch lots of video, but you can't really be coached by someone who's several states away!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Info on Mroz's SP music, program choreographed by Jeff Buttle: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=109
    Somehow I read through the fact that Jeff was choreographing for him. This idea has a lot of potential. (And I adore Mack the Knife)

vCash
    I personally think that you have some events here that we can read into. First you have a skater who is really pushed cash wise to continue the training that has been going on. Then you have a coach who recently has been in the spot light for not doing what is correct for the kids he trains. Skaters have bailed and she is left. I think it was a time to re-evaluate what they were doing with their money and maybe thought Tom was the best, and the financial pain was worth it before, but not with everyone leaving and his image tarnished. Plus I think the romance of Tom being a great coach has worn completely off.

I think that Agnes has peeked as well, and this event with Tom and having coaches remotely is the kiss of death. She was already having issues with growth which have affected her jumps. What really pisses me off the most is that the US has promoted Toms skaters and most recently even Agnes in the press as being the one for the US at worlds. For god sake, let the skaters and their performances dictate who is promoted. Because the world judges don't care what politics is happening here in the US.

You can agree with me or not, but we all know that funny business has been happening and this is what happens when people meddle. To me, she might not have even gone to Tom if the politics and promotion engine wasn't happening. A great skater who had wonderful potential for the future, ends up like this. Sad !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgramerUSFS View Post
    A great skater who had wonderful potential for the future, ends up like this. Sad !
    Is Agnes laid up in some ditch somewhere and we don't know about it?

For someone who sounds so big on letting performances dictate the press, it's somewhat surprising that you don't take your own advice and let Agnes prove herself before you call her peaked and done. She just won the pewter medal at US Nationals and placed 3rd behind the heavy hitting Russian girls at Jr. Worlds. I'd say she did very well for herself this season, and I'll withhold the postmortem until she actually gives cause for it. JMO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Is Agnes laid up in some ditch somewhere and we don't know about it?
    That's what I was thinking. I don't see anything wrong here...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgramerUSFS View Post
    What really pisses me off the most is that the US has promoted Toms skaters and most recently even Agnes in the press as being the one for the US at worlds. For god sake, let the skaters and their performances dictate who is promoted. Because the world judges don't care what politics is happening here in the US.
    I could not have said it better. The USFSA keeps operating like it still has the kind of influence over world judging that it once had.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 06-05-2011 at 02:51 AM.

vCash
    Zawadzki has had only ONE season as a senior, and she was in the hunt. So it's too soon to even begin to say she has peaked.

Contrast to someone like Zhang, who has been doing senior since 2007, and who has already seen moderate success (GPF qualification, 4CC medal), but is sinking by the moment, bottoming out of the top 10 at nationals. Peaked? I'd say so.

vCash
    No, Agnes is not in a ditch, but one might say she is in a rut, which hopefully she can get out of, but I hardly see this so-called coaching change as the answer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    No, Agnes is not in a ditch, but one might say she is in a rut, which hopefully she can get out of, but I hardly see this so-called coaching change as the answer.
    I don't know if Agnes is in a rut. I think she did make some noticeable improvements last season. I just think she was packaged completely incorrectly, and Tom Z. doesn't appear to be good at packaging skaters to make them look their best.

vCash
    Agreed, that short program dress was from heck. Curtain call would have been better.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Say what you will say about the dress, and the hairstyle during the SP but I actually really enjoyed the program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Rut? fourth at Seniors after winning Juniors the year before... in what planet would you call that a "rut"?

vCash
    Maybe the "rut" was her inability to pull off a strong freeskate for much of last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Say what you will say about the dress, and the hairstyle during the SP but I actually really enjoyed the program.
    Actually I did too. But I really don't think it suits her.

I'd like to see her try something classical. We haven't seen that side of her yet.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast