vCash

The interview with Miki Ando

This is an article in the sports web site, “Sportsnavi” in Japan.
    Translated from Japanese.
    The interview with Miki Ando. Overcoming fragility, she aims at the player who has performing ability. (The first half)
    May 31st, 2011 JST

By Hirono Aoshima

The photo
    Photography: By Kiyoshi Sakamoto
    She performed “Requiem” in Encore of the exhibition of the Worlds.
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...-spnavi_1.html

Canceling the "Tokyo holding" under the influence of the East Japan big Earthquake Disaster, the Worlds was held in Moscow after that one month. As if encouraging Japan where the dark news had continued, it is very Miki Ando who showed an exceptionally thoughtful performance and, moreover, brought very good news, her victory after the interval of 4 years, for Japan.
    While a lot of players disordered a condition, being confused at the big change of the schedule etc, why would she who was said to be fragile mentally have been able to catch glory?

The emotions which she charged in "the Requiem" of the exhibition

Q: The performance which you nailed the victory in the free skating was splendid, but I think that the program which you with white costume showed as the final player in the exhibition next day, may have touched the heartstrings of a lot of person because it was very beautiful.

A: In that time, I skated to the show number, “Why do People fall in Love?” as the first program, which had showed through this season.
    This is the music which sang an emotions, saying "Why do people fall in love?". I think that, as for loving a person, there are various meanings.
    First, I thought that I would like to express "love for a person" with skating. Then, in the encore, I skated to "the Requiem" of the short program of last year.
    (It was not the competition version but the exhibition version with vocal that she showed actually).
    In the competition, I must skate inevitably to the music which has been prepared for the competition, but, in the exhibition, I thought that I would like to deliver my thought more free. "The Requiem" is the music of mass, namely, the music which comforts the soul of the dead person. Because I thought that I would like to deliver my present feelings as for the disaster of this time to many person of Japan as much as possible. Because I got opportunity called the encore, I felt as if God said, "Skate to the Requiem" to me. (In the Worlds, only champion could skate in the encore) Therefore I thought that I would like to skate to the Requiem at any cost.

Q Did you take the sound source of "the Requiem" to Moscow?

A No. As soon as ending the competition, I got the coach to prepare it immediately. What I can do is only an affair like this, but I felt very honored because I could deliver my feelings which I had wanted to deliver sincerely through the place like an exhibition of the Worlds. It may have been strange a little because the costume remained intact the white costume of "Why do people fall in love?", but I think that I could skate sincerely in my own way. While wishing that it was delivered to Japan even if being only a little.

Q As for the Worlds of this time, it attracted a great deal of attention also in the meaning which differs from usual and I think that the players, too, had various thoughts about it. In such situation, making her thoughts to disaster sufferer link to her performance tightly, Ando finished skating from the short program to the exhibition, didn't she?

A However, as for how much awful situation the sufferer of the disaster area are in and as for how much bitter experience they have, I think that I doesn't understand in the true meaning because I didn't suffer damage of the earthquake disaster directly. I think that it surely may be the pain which can not express easily by word. However, as for the pain which loses a dear person really and as for the difficulty of recovering from the pain, I intend to understand a bit. Immediately after the earthquake disaster, I used to feel painfully even about standing on the rink, because I thought that a great number of people are experiencing such painful feelings now.

I was glad about the message to say, "Thank you".

The photo
    In the Worlds, she felt pleasure to the fact that the performance and her feelings were united than the result. She fascinated the audience in both of SP and FS.
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...-spnavi_3.html

Q How did you feel after the Worlds began actually?
    Wishing to win for Japan. Wishing to take a medal. Didn't you feel such a pressure?

A No, I did not feel such a pressure at all. Because it is always rare that I participate to a competition together with the feeling wanting to take medal. I had been full of various feelings so that it doesn't seem real even now to have won the championship and to have gotten the medal. I had skated with just such the feelings. In this season also, there were so various happenings around me that I can not find yet in real meaning even whether or not I am glad as for having won the championship. (lol) There was hardly so-called "change of the feelings" with having won the championship, too. However, in this time, of course, I got tense very much, but I did not feel so much the pressure with the atmosphere called the Worlds. The sorry feeling which could not skate in Japan. The feeling of gratitude for having been given the competition place with having been held without accident in this way.
    I think that such feelings and my performance may have been able to be united for some reason or other. I may be full of the feeling of achievement that my performance and my feelings were united than the result.

Q Did you feel something like echo, reaction, etc as for having skated to in such feelings?

A Because I haven't linked also to the net easily, for I am continuing to move after the Worlds, I haven't a feeling of reality yet...
    But, on the small medal ceremony after the free skating, the message to say, "Thank you, Miki" was delivered by one woman in front of the audience. I was glad that I could feel actually that I could do the performance which somebody, even if being only one person, felt such feeling with. I think that the more the persons who felt such feelings in Japan were, the happier I am.

The article
    The interview with Miki Ando. Overcoming fragility, she aims at the player who has performing ability. (The first half)
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...03-spnavi.html

To be continued

vCash
    Arigatou gozaimasu, Akira Andrea.

vCash
    Thanks for the article!! いつもありがとう。 美姫がんばってや!

vCash
    thank you for this

vCash
    The interview with Miki Ando. Overcoming fragility, she aims at the player who has performing ability. (The second half)

May 31st, 2011 JST

By Hirono Aoshima

"I had never experienced a competition which has a meaning as much as this time so far"

The photo
    As for the Worlds in Russia which she greeted with various feelings, she looked back, saying, "Surely, in the future, too, I will never experience such a competition".
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...-spnavi_4.html

Q As for this time specially, the Worlds was held without accident with taking the form which Russia give the crisis of Japan a helping hand. In that place, Ando who is Japanese having a close relation to Russia won the championship. I felt that this event became opportunity and deepened a ties of two countries more and I thought for the victory of Ando to be the symbol. Also the program which is called "Requiem"...

A It is because Nikolai who choreographed was a Russian and Miki who skated was a Japanese, isn't it? (lol) I was surprised to learn that such a thing could happen. It was unexpected really that the Worlds was held in Russia, but, for me, Japan is very important country but Russia also is important country so that I can think as my second mother country. Because, in the place where I took a great fancy to, I could skate and could get the gold medal, I thought that I was very happy while looking back.

Q Will even a top player not rarely be able to experience "the victory which has such a valuable meaning" and "such a heavy experience"?

A Yes, I think that I can say that I had never experienced the competition which has the meaning as valuable as this Worlds, even if I had gotten the medal in the Olympics last year. Surely, in the future, too, I will not experience such a competition. Really, in the good place, I could do the performance with various meanings. Really, I think that I had a good experience.

I could do the performance with my way while enjoying sincerely.

Q If looking back, it was the season which various affairs happened for certain in. However, wasn't it the season which you got a lot of good remembrance in, such as the victory after interval of 6 years running in the Japan Nationals and the victory after interval of 4 years running in the Worlds?

A Yes, it was. In the Japan Nationals, I skated with same thoughts as usual, namely, it aims at participating to the Worlds regardless. Nevertheless, Nagano where the Japan Nationals was held is the very memorable place for me because I won the championship for the first time in there in 2003. I think that I was very happy because I could win the championship again in just same rink in there. Also as for the other competitions, I have remembrance each, but I could finish also without big mistake till the last big competition through the season and could do the performance which I should do always even in a slump. In that regard, I think that I may have been able to grow up most or may have been able to take a step forward as a player.

Q You became able to do "your own performance" always without being influenced by the physical condition and the mental aspect.
    Where will the reason for your growth be?

A I may have been able to find how I can enjoy the skating sincerely. If being so far, my feelings at that point of time such as the tension and the anxiety had followed onto the rink, therefore my performance, too, had become unstable as it is if being in slump. However, I feel as if the way of controlling myself have become part of my nature naturally from after the Olympics last year so that I can enjoy sincerely the skating. It may be the main reason. I think that, after all, it contributes very much that I had experienced the Olympics twice. And,, because I could get rid of all my worries after the Vancouver Olympics by having experienced two Olympics, I could skate while feeling a true sense of unity with the audience in the Worlds of Turin after that. I was pleasant while skating. I became such feelings sincerely. I think that such a feelings led me to the relaxed performance. I barely found myself, saying, "Oh!, I was a player of such type!". (lol) I make it a rule to think that, if so, it is the best to spend every day pleasantly really as much as possible without the stress. It will relate to the skating, won't it? Though being limited in the case of me. (lol)

The article
    The interview with Miki Ando. Overcoming fragility, she aims at the player who has performing ability. (The second half)
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...-spnavi_2.html

To be continued

vCash
    The interview with Miki Ando. Overcoming fragility, she aims at the player who has performing ability. (The third half)
    May 31st, 2011 JST

By Hirono Aoshima

In the practice, she attempts various ideas, too, to improve jumps.

The photo
    Ando won the championship of her second time in the Worlds. As for her, the busy days continues also in the off-season.
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...-spnavi_6.html

Q I heard that you want to continue the challenge also to jumps from now on, because you got a mental stability. I heard that you are trying the three consecutive triple jumps such as triple-triple-triple.

A “3Lz-3L-3L” is no more than merely an exercise. I don’t attempt it absolutely in the real competition. (lol)
    It is because I fear such risk that the point is deducted from the score, even if I attempted the jump of such a high risk under the present judging system, if it has been a rack of rotation or has been poor quality.
    It rather improves more the impression of the whole performance, too, that I attempt the one which can add points, raising the percentage of completion of the jump which I can do neatly. I can find out such a fact when watching the evaluation of this season which I have seldom tried the triple-triple in, can't I? However, as for the future, I am thinking that I would like to attempt it in the competition, training "triple-triple" neatly so as to be able to use in the competition again. Therefore, I thought that the triple-triple jump will become easier in feeling aspect if I trained the higher grade jump in difficulty level such as triple-triple-triple. Similarly, I am also training as for "the double Axel-triple Toe" which I had failed because I got too tense in this time. Because I am very bad at the Toeloop jump, the Axel Toe jump is a jump which has high risk yet for me for jumping in second half of a program. I am doing also the training which adds a triple Toe jump to all jumps as the second jump, aiming at becoming able to jump it cleanly. I am thinking that, like that, I would like to attempt various ideas in the practice.

Q It became the off-season which you must polish the program aspect, too, and the technical aspect, too, moreover in, but you are very busy because the participation to a lot of ice show, too, are continuing, aren't you?

A Yes, I am. I participated to the ice show in Sankt Petersburg and in Vancouver recently. From now on, too, Japan and Korea have been scheduled.
    Now, in the figure skating world, a lot of ice show to cheer Japan as charity are being planned in all over the world. I am glad about such the feelings of everybody in foreign countries. Delivering the situation as for Japan to every country while participating with the skaters in the world, I wish I were able to become a help for Japan moreover. To tell the truth, I had wanted to participate to the show in Japan domestic more, but, in Japan, Kozuka and others are doing their best in Japan. So I am being in charge of overseas. (lol) I think that, if I got everybody of foreign countries to know the difficulty of Japan more by the participating of me, it may become the power for Japan even if being a little. I wish I were able to deliver the various feelings to everybody, meeting a lot of persons and skating, in the show in each place, from now on, too.

The article
    The interview with Miki Ando. Overcoming fragility, she aims at the player who has performing ability. (The third half)
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...-spnavi_3.html

End.

vCash
    Thanks Akira! I really appreciate you taking the time to translate all these articles.