Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    vCash
    Piper Gilles latest facebook status:

More packing but this one is exciting!!

Could this be a move to Toronto to skate with Paul? She has also recently become "friends" with quite a few Toronto skaters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blademate View Post
    Piper Gilles latest facebook status:

More packing but this one is exciting!!

Could this be a move to Toronto to skate with Paul? She has also recently become "friends" with quite a few Toronto skaters
    Oooooh! I hope so! Well, assuming the country issues won't be too big of a hastle.

ETA: Apparently Vanessa Crone "likes" the status.

vCash
    she also could be teaming with Jordan Hockley I suppose, but I hope it's Paul, I think they would look great together!

vCash
    Now that would be very interesting!

Maybe we should keep an eye out for late Thornhill entries (possibly just an SD).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    Oooooh! I hope so! Well, assuming the country issues won't be too big of a hastle.

ETA: Apparently Vanessa Crone "likes" the status.
    It would be kind of weird for Vanessa to like it, but maybe she's happy they both are moving on?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    It would be kind of weird for Vanessa to like it, but maybe she's happy they both are moving on?
    Yea, wasn't sure what to make of that. But it definitely looks like she's teaming with someone in Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    Yea, wasn't sure what to make of that. But it definitely looks like she's teaming with someone in Toronto.
    I hope so....Vanessa's so talented and I hope she does team with someone more suitable for her. I hope that both move on with no regrets.
    Addicted to FSU

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ETA: That said, I feel if a skater or team has received USFS team envelope funding and fulfilled their obligations for that season, they've "earned" their money and should not be under any obligation to pay it back if one or both partners (or a singles skater) are accepted to represent another country. As others have pointed out in earlier discussions related to this topic, it's the skaters and their families who are footing the bulk of the bills in order to stay in competitive skating.
    I so strongly agree with this, I just want to pull a "me too" on the ITAing.

The idea that a federation would rather see a previously funded skater unable to continue competing for lack of a suitable partner than to see them represent another country seems just spiteful.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    she also could be teaming with Jordan Hockley I suppose, but I hope it's Paul, I think they would look great together!
    Interesting.... Is Hockley still skating or did he retire? It would be interesting to see him continue. Especially lately, he's shown a lot of potential. With the right sized partner, and perhaps with some new music choices and styles, we could really see him grow and develop.

vCash
    Jordan Hockley is skating with Nicole Kuzmich as per the latest announcement from COS: 2011 Team Elite
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Jordan Hockley is skating with Nicole Kuzmich as per the latest announcement from COS: 2011 Team Elite
    Is there a reason Ralph and Hill are not on the list or would they be in a different category?

vCash
    ^

Judging from the comment on the bottom of the linked page, "All members of Team Elite must compete at the 2011 Summer Skate, Octoberfest and
    Sectionals in the category they have indicated for the 2011 season", these are Skate Canada Central Ontario Section "elite" developmental skaters.

Ralph/Hill would not be in this category.

vCash
    Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier. Dance to a New Rhythm
    http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...d-paul-poirier

Poirier immediately moved on. He had try-outs with several young Canadian ice dancers and tested the waters with America’s Emily Samuelson, who found herself adrift after her former dance partner Evan Bates called an end to their partnership.

But after trying out with Gilles. Poirier said he knew that she was the person he wanted to dance with.

vCash
    Wow! Good luck for both of them!

living every minute
    vCash
    and they may be in the show on Aug. 4 http://www.sfsc.on.ca/so_you_think_you_can_judge in Thornhill (but not the SCO Thornhill meet which is Aug. 11-14)
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Interesting that he says, "Poirier is excited about the new partnership. “We will skate for Canada. This arrangement was the best one for us,” he said. 'Because Piper has not competed for a year she has already finished the first year of the two year waiting period, as per the ISU rules.'"

As a dance team, they only need two years for championships if her federation won't release her after one year.

She then says, "The U.S. will release me in one year. We have already spoken to the federation about this," so there's no reason to get everyone's knickers in a knot and push for an exception now. I'm sure Carol Lane will take the long-term approach and spend the year on technique and gelling as a team.

It's also interesting that he did try out with Samuelson.

I think she should get permanent residency in Canada under the Investors, Entrepreneurs, and Self-Employed class; one of the two qualifiers under "self-employed" class is "participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics". Since they'll train in Ontario, by the 2018 Olympics, she'll meet the residency requirements for citizenship under normal (non-accelerated) circumstances.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Just wanted to let people know that a separate thread was created in GSD today for the new team of Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier: New CDN ice dance team - Gilles & Poirier

vCash
    Wow, I didn't know he tried out with Samuelson too, but when I think about it they aren't really suited. Emily is too tall for Paul, I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Wow, I didn't know he tried out with Samuelson too, but when I think about it they aren't really suited. Emily is too tall for Paul, I think.
    I too think Emily should be too tall for Paul.. but what a very pretty mental image of them skating together even as a tryout In my opinion Paul and Emily are the most talented ice dancers of the younger group (from 1990-). They have such obvious potential in this sport and I hope to see more of them in the future.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920