Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Machiko Yamada

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    663
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Machiko Yamada

    I am just Curious. Her students are all known to be good jumpers (Ando,Asada,Ito) and yet she has never coached a prominent man to stardom. I know that some coaches prefer certain genders because thats where their strength lye but you would think that male skaters would flock to her. Granted there has not been a woman to jump like Ito, still Yamada's students are known to jump well barring edge calls etc.

    I still cannot believe the trajectory and power of Ito's jumps. Especially that axel.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    Posts
    2,424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    I am just Curious. Her students are all known to be good jumpers (Ando,Asada,Ito) and yet she has never coached a prominent man to stardom. I know that some coaches prefer certain genders because thats where their strength lye but you would think that male skaters would flock to her. Granted there has not been a woman to jump like Ito, still Yamada's students are known to jump well barring edge calls etc.

    I still cannot believe the trajectory and power of Ito's jumps. Especially that axel.
    Interesting. Was Yamada an international competitive skater herself?

    Hopefully without sounding sexist, although there are male coaches who train both male and female skaters, maybe it's customary in Japan for a female coach to only teach female students.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    49
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    maybe it's customary in Japan for a female coach to only teach female students.
    Daisuke Takahashi's coach is female?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    17
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yamada taught some male skaters in the past, and this kid is a student of Yamada and Higuchi.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UGL_7ThUm4

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    To the left, to the left...
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,459
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Daisuke Takahashi's coach is female?
    So is Yuzuru Hanyu's.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,702
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yamada never coached Ando. She's been coaching Shoma Uno. Is he old enough for Jr GP this year?

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,702
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Machiko is an amazing person. When Midori's parents got divorced, Midori had no money to continue to skate but Machiko stepped in and let her live with her and paid for all the skating expenses... I think.. Is that so?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    1 mile from Ice Rink
    Posts
    2,977
    vCash
    550
    Rep Power
    1708
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Machiko is an amazing person. When Midori's parents got divorced, Midori had no money to continue to skate but Machiko stepped in and let her live with her and paid for all the skating expenses... I think.. Is that so?
    I also read it somewhere. Kudos to Machiko Yamada.
    This too will pass away.

  9. #9
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,741
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5719
    That's about the worst Shoma Uno has skated in 4 years. He's normally extremely consistent, even on new jumps. I've seen him land 3-3's and he's already trying triple axel but he needs to find a proper lutz as that will hold him back. Really looking forward to seeing him take on Chen and Nguyen who are all the same age.

    Yamada has done a great job with him, just as she did a great thing by taking in Ito as she did. Apparently Ito's first and last competition was supposed to be 1981 Junior Worlds after which she was going to give up skating due to her parents financial situation. Can you imagine? That said, the relationship between Yamada and Ito was a complicated one where lines were somewhat blurred at times between coach and surrogate parent.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3645
    I am glad that Yamada is unorthodox as well as having a giant heart. You can tell all of her skaters love her. She says she teaches them to be sincere and kind people because that way their skating will at least be beautiful - they will skate with "a pure heart".

    She has a deep gravely smoker's voice, but she seems to be going strong.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,275
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43732
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Machiko is an amazing person. When Midori's parents got divorced, Midori had no money to continue to skate but Machiko stepped in and let her live with her and paid for all the skating expenses... I think.. Is that so?
    I think in 1989 or 1990 CBS or another network (ABC?) did a fluff on Midori that showed Midori living with the Yamada family after her parents got divorced. It did not mention the expenses, but may be Yamada helped her there too. The end result was phenomenal, sort of like Galina Z. helping orphan Oksana Baiul to championships. Yamada did it for a lot more years though.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Age
    21
    Posts
    14,081
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Machiko is an amazing person. When Midori's parents got divorced, Midori had no money to continue to skate but Machiko stepped in and let her live with her and paid for all the skating expenses... I think.. Is that so?
    Wow.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    49
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I think in 1989 or 1990 CBS or another network (ABC?) did a fluff on Midori that showed Midori living with the Yamada family after her parents got divorced. It did not mention the expenses, but may be Yamada helped her there too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l09RPdy31Xc#t=1m40s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBgwUvLT3hU#t=80s

    ^one of these?

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    Posts
    2,545
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank you so much for posting that 1992 Olympics fluff! I have both on tape, but I've only ever seen the 1992 from halfway through. Why can't they make fluff like this anymore?

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,576
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I think in 1989 or 1990 CBS or another network (ABC?) did a fluff on Midori that showed Midori living with the Yamada family after her parents got divorced. It did not mention the expenses, but may be Yamada helped her there too. The end result was phenomenal, sort of like Galina Z. helping orphan Oksana Baiul to championships. Yamada did it for a lot more years though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    Thank you so much for posting that 1992 Olympics fluff! I have both on tape, but I've only ever seen the 1992 from halfway through. Why can't they make fluff like this anymore?

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3645
    Was it Mao's decision alone to leave Yamada in 2006? Or did the JSF strongly encourage it?

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    165
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7
    Part of me has been wishing Mao would go back to Yamata. I agree with the comments about Yamata's personality, which seems wonderful. She seems to bring the best out of her pupils, even under the pressure of competition. And don't forget her other students, like Yukari Nakano and Kanako Murakami.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,702
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Was it Mao's decision alone to leave Yamada in 2006? Or did the JSF strongly encourage it?
    I thought it was Machiko's idea..

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    483
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I thought it was Machiko's idea..
    I think you're right. I remember reading an article in which Machiko Yamada said she felt Mao needed to move on in order to grow as a skater. And although she no longer coaches her, they still remain close. How wonderful is that?!

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In an ideal world
    Posts
    2,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Was it Mao's decision alone to leave Yamada in 2006? Or did the JSF strongly encourage it?
    IIRC Mao just had no choice but going abroad, because of the poor situation of ice rinks in Japan.

    Back then Mao was training with Yamada in a local rink in a big city, probably in public skating, too. Then around 2005 GPF she got attention by the whole nation and too many people would come to the rink to watch her. There was no way she could continue to train there. Or so I have heard.

    Some years later they built some ice rinks for elite skaters and now Mao trains there.
    Last edited by midori; 06-09-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •