Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machiko Yamada

vCash

Machiko Yamada

I am just Curious. Her students are all known to be good jumpers (Ando,Asada,Ito) and yet she has never coached a prominent man to stardom. I know that some coaches prefer certain genders because thats where their strength lye but you would think that male skaters would flock to her. Granted there has not been a woman to jump like Ito, still Yamada's students are known to jump well barring edge calls etc.

I still cannot believe the trajectory and power of Ito's jumps. Especially that axel.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    I am just Curious. Her students are all known to be good jumpers (Ando,Asada,Ito) and yet she has never coached a prominent man to stardom. I know that some coaches prefer certain genders because thats where their strength lye but you would think that male skaters would flock to her. Granted there has not been a woman to jump like Ito, still Yamada's students are known to jump well barring edge calls etc.

I still cannot believe the trajectory and power of Ito's jumps. Especially that axel.
    Interesting. Was Yamada an international competitive skater herself?

Hopefully without sounding sexist, although there are male coaches who train both male and female skaters, maybe it's customary in Japan for a female coach to only teach female students.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    maybe it's customary in Japan for a female coach to only teach female students.
    Daisuke Takahashi's coach is female?

vCash
    Yamada taught some male skaters in the past, and this kid is a student of Yamada and Higuchi.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UGL_7ThUm4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Daisuke Takahashi's coach is female?
    So is Yuzuru Hanyu's.

vCash
    Yamada never coached Ando. She's been coaching Shoma Uno. Is he old enough for Jr GP this year?

vCash
    Machiko is an amazing person. When Midori's parents got divorced, Midori had no money to continue to skate but Machiko stepped in and let her live with her and paid for all the skating expenses... I think.. Is that so?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Machiko is an amazing person. When Midori's parents got divorced, Midori had no money to continue to skate but Machiko stepped in and let her live with her and paid for all the skating expenses... I think.. Is that so?
    I also read it somewhere. Kudos to Machiko Yamada.
    This too will pass away.

Vacant
    vCash
    That's about the worst Shoma Uno has skated in 4 years. He's normally extremely consistent, even on new jumps. I've seen him land 3-3's and he's already trying triple axel but he needs to find a proper lutz as that will hold him back. Really looking forward to seeing him take on Chen and Nguyen who are all the same age.

Yamada has done a great job with him, just as she did a great thing by taking in Ito as she did. Apparently Ito's first and last competition was supposed to be 1981 Junior Worlds after which she was going to give up skating due to her parents financial situation. Can you imagine? That said, the relationship between Yamada and Ito was a complicated one where lines were somewhat blurred at times between coach and surrogate parent.

vCash
    I am glad that Yamada is unorthodox as well as having a giant heart. You can tell all of her skaters love her. She says she teaches them to be sincere and kind people because that way their skating will at least be beautiful - they will skate with "a pure heart".

She has a deep gravely smoker's voice, but she seems to be going strong.

vCash
    I think in 1989 or 1990 CBS or another network (ABC?) did a fluff on Midori that showed Midori living with the Yamada family after her parents got divorced. It did not mention the expenses, but may be Yamada helped her there too. The end result was phenomenal, sort of like Galina Z. helping orphan Oksana Baiul to championships. Yamada did it for a lot more years though.

vCash
    Wow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I think in 1989 or 1990 CBS or another network (ABC?) did a fluff on Midori that showed Midori living with the Yamada family after her parents got divorced. It did not mention the expenses, but may be Yamada helped her there too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l09RPdy31Xc#t=1m40s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBgwUvLT3hU#t=80s

^one of these?

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    Thank you so much for posting that 1992 Olympics fluff! I have both on tape, but I've only ever seen the 1992 from halfway through. Why can't they make fluff like this anymore?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I think in 1989 or 1990 CBS or another network (ABC?) did a fluff on Midori that showed Midori living with the Yamada family after her parents got divorced. It did not mention the expenses, but may be Yamada helped her there too. The end result was phenomenal, sort of like Galina Z. helping orphan Oksana Baiul to championships. Yamada did it for a lot more years though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    Thank you so much for posting that 1992 Olympics fluff! I have both on tape, but I've only ever seen the 1992 from halfway through. Why can't they make fluff like this anymore?

vCash
    Was it Mao's decision alone to leave Yamada in 2006? Or did the JSF strongly encourage it?

vCash
    Part of me has been wishing Mao would go back to Yamata. I agree with the comments about Yamata's personality, which seems wonderful. She seems to bring the best out of her pupils, even under the pressure of competition. And don't forget her other students, like Yukari Nakano and Kanako Murakami.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Was it Mao's decision alone to leave Yamada in 2006? Or did the JSF strongly encourage it?
    I thought it was Machiko's idea..

vCash
    I thought it was Machiko's idea..
    I think you're right. I remember reading an article in which Machiko Yamada said she felt Mao needed to move on in order to grow as a skater. And although she no longer coaches her, they still remain close. How wonderful is that?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    IIRC Mao just had no choice but going abroad, because of the poor situation of ice rinks in Japan.

Back then Mao was training with Yamada in a local rink in a big city, probably in public skating, too. Then around 2005 GPF she got attention by the whole nation and too many people would come to the rink to watch her. There was no way she could continue to train there. Or so I have heard.

Some years later they built some ice rinks for elite skaters and now Mao trains there.
    Last edited by midori; 06-09-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast