Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Kim Yu-na's TV Show Struggles in the Ratings

vCash
    Youtube links to an episode of this show are in this post of the Yu-Na news thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=429

vCash
    Wow, that's not something I would have guessed.

vCash
    Not even Kim Yuna can make a skating competition show popular in South Korea! Amazing.

vCash
    Well, guess nobody can be good at everything...

vCash
    I think it is too early to decide whether her show is a success or a failure. SBS has been struggling for this particular time slot anyway. The competing shows at the other channels are extreamly popular in Korea. I think SBS already knew the fact it cannot be the number one show given the situation. They may be just trying to improve their rating at best.

vCash
    I watched all the links even though I didn't understand a word but I can see how people might be getting sick of seeing her.

vCash
    So maybe even Koreans only like to watch GOOD skaters skate?

vCash
    Hm, if I was in Korea, my sole viewing should help the ratings.

vCash
    I think everyone will understand the situation after watch one.It's just like Skate with the stars,and even worse...boring and flat...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I watched all the links even though I didn't understand a word but I can see how people might be getting sick of seeing her.
    this one proves that Koreans are more interested if Yuna is competing. no buts. no ifs. It mentioned in the article..this years Worlds where she competed, it drew 40% range(it was number 1 for SBS) well...it looks like yuna will continue competing. if she doesn't, figure skating will die in Korea. unfortunately.
    Last edited by riveredge; 06-02-2011 at 05:08 AM.

vCash
    The rating, 8.1~10.5%, is not something. But OTOH, it's not nothing where skating had been nothing for a long time.

"I am a Singer" on MBC, 14%, is sensationally popular here in Korea - the program is something like a survival stage where Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Eminem and Justin Bieber is competing. All the papers, magazines and sites are talking about the program. But it's rating is just about one and a half or two times more than the-unheard-and-unseen-mere figure skating program.

"Qualifications of Men" on KBS, 6.6~9.2%, also is a long-lived good program. I also love this program but I couldn't see it live so I watch this on IPTV later.

Anyway, as someone said above, the program is on and on. I mean this is not the time whether some say it is success or not. As a skating fan, I think broadcasting the program at the prime time on weekend itself is a big success.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    I think it is too early to make a rash decision of the rating. The program has only just started. And the last program was like rerun........

vCash
    It also looks like it was thrown together on a whim with not much thought.

vCash
    Pundits say the reason "Kiss and Cry" failed is a lack of excitement. "Figure skating is not a sport that is enjoyed by the general public, and the concept of having 10 celebrities compete after being paired with 10 professional figure skaters can easily become boring," one expert said.
    This.

There is a limit to how far it is possible to stretch Yunah's fame.

Figure skating and reality TV don't always go together that well. 'Skating with the Stars' type shows have bombed in North America, barring Battle of the Blades, which appeals to hockey fans. I think they've done okay in Russia - don't know about Japan - as for Korea, probably most of the celebrity skaters are unknown to the public.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    This.

There is a limit to how far it is possible to stretch Yunah's fame.

Figure skating and reality TV don't always go together that well. 'Skating with the Stars' type shows have bombed in North America, barring Battle of the Blades, which appeals to hockey fans. I think they've done okay in Russia - don't know about Japan - as for Korea, probably most of the celebrity skaters are unknown to the public.
    Could you tell me how were the programs' ratings?
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Episode III teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9pQ7NYoFUo

Caution: To some boring, sick and flat.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    This show is not bad at all, maybe cuz i know all thoes celebrities like to see what they can do on ice lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    Could you tell me how were the programs' ratings?
    Battle of the Blades Ratings: The show was CBC's top non-sports show (non-sports meaning not NHL, etc)

Skating with the Stars: Just to give you an idea, by the end of the show's run, it was getting approximately twice as many viewers as Battle of the Blades. Key difference: Canada has 1/10th the population of the US, so in real tirms, BotB was doing about five times better.

Vacant
    vCash
    For what it's worth, the original of these celebrity skating snoozefests - the UK's Dancing on Ice - has just completed it's 6th season or something like that. It still regularly pulls in around 7 -10 million viewers which is a huge amount for Sunday evening primetime. Of course Torvill & Dean being mentors is the reason it's still going. It might have been 27 years since they won the OGM but they certainly have proved their longevity. Without them the show would have been pulled years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast