Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Joey Russell announces retirement

http://www.skating.nf.ca/?p=3801

Kind of sad that he's leaving... but it's amazing how much he has accomplished! I competed against him at our first nationals way back in the day, hah. So best wishes to him!!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    That's a shame as I've always enjoyed his skating. It's is truly amazing when you think of where his Hometown is, that he reached the achievements in Skating that he did.

Best of luck Newfie Boy (our nickname for him in this house and has nothing but deep affection behind it.) in whatever you decide to do next in your life!!

Quadless
    vCash
    Best wishes to him. He was a very stylish skater.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Very nice letter

vCash
    Great that he got to go to Worlds to finish off his career! And he was also very inspirational to skaters from smaller provinces and regionals. He can be very proud of what he accomplished.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Very nice letter
    It really was -nice of him to thank all the volunteers!

With Shawn's retirement announcement a few months earlier, now Joey's and Jeremy Ten out for a good part of the season with a broken bone, the Canadian team will be very different next year. Then again, if this means skaters like Liam Firus have a better chance of competing in Sr internationals, that's not entirely a bad thing.

Since 2 of the skaters who placed in the top 5 at nationals in 2011 retired does that mean the next finishers are now in line to receive Skate Canada funding, or are these things non-transferable?

vCash
    I'm kind of sad about Joey's retirement. It seemed like his career just kind of was taking off for me. Well, taking off in a way.. I know he wasn't thought of as the next world medalist or anything. Btw Shawn hasn't officially announced his retirement to SC yet.
    I'm still holding out hope. I didn't know JTen was going to be out still next season.

vCash
    I wish him the best.

vCash
    What a thoughtful and classy announcement.
    All the best to him, whatever his future choices are.

vCash
    Best wishes to Joey in his future plans. He mentioned at the AGM skating professionally for a year on a cruise ship and then looking at continuing his education. He also mentioned an interest in choreography which I think he could be very successful with.

vCash
    Hope he's able to have future successes in whatever endeavors he undertakes. I had a rather positive impression of him after seeing his skating in person at the 2007 Canadians. It was his first senior nationals and he skated quite well. I especially enjoyed seeing him landing triple/triples with the second jump being a 3loop. Very impressive.

vCash
    What a beautiful letter. Newfoundland & Labrador should be very proud of their boy. I have always enjoyed his skating and it's nice to hear that he will remain involved with the sport.

vCash
    That's a surprise. I thought he was just getting started!
    Good luck to Joey in his future endeavours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Jeremy Ten out for a good part of the season with a broken bone,
    WHEN did it happen? If I remember correctly, Jeremy Ten had a foot surgery just a few months ago. What a series of bad luck for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    WHEN did it happen? If I remember correctly, Jeremy Ten had a foot surgery just a few months ago. What a series of bad luck for him.
    He was on crutches during Nationals but I'm pretty sure he was walking just fine at the BC/YT AGM a few weeks back. I suppose walking doesn't mean he can be skating or even jumping ...
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Did I miss earlier news? Russell is at an all-time high...why quit now???

Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Since 2 of the skaters who placed in the top 5 at nationals in 2011 retired does that mean the next finishers are now in line to receive Skate Canada funding, or are these things non-transferable?
    I'm curious about that as well. Anybody know?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    According to the Canadian National Team Question thread, National team slots seem to be non-transferable?

Best wishes to Joey Russell in his future endeavors! It was great to see him land a clean 3A in his 2011 Worlds SP!

vCash
    A few years back (2004 or 2005, maybe?), I remember Skate Canada "bumping up" all of the sixth-place finishers because there had been quite a few retirements or splits, across multiple disciplines. I don't remember them doing this since then, though.

And I agree, what a wonderful gesture from Joey. Seems like a classy guy, he'll be missed!

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    No no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOO

All the best in his new endeavors, but seriously

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    Jeremy tweeted earlier today that his comeback is going to be postponed for awhile. Looks like he was back in the hospital.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast