vCash

Composer of Takahashi's SP Music admits fraud -- "uproar" in Japan (NYTimes)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/07/ar...-fraud.html?hp

"The scandal began on Wednesday, when Mr. Samuragochi suddenly confessed that someone else had written his most famous works. These include Symphony No. 1 “Hiroshima,” about the 1945 atomic bombing of his home city, which became a classical music hit in Japan; the theme music for the video games Resident Evil and Onimusha; and Sonatina for Violin, which the Japanese Olympic figure skater Daisuke Takahashi is scheduled to use in his short program performance at the Winter Games in Sochi.

He said he felt so guilty about the deception that he had threatened to go public in the past, but Mr. Samuragochi begged him not to. He said he finally could not take it anymore when he learned one of his songs would be used by the Olympic skater. He told his story to a weekly tabloid, which went on sale Thursday."

I wonder whether the credits will be changed by Worlds. (Probably too late for the Olympics.)

Includes video link to Takahashi performing to it last year (exhibition lighting)

vCash
    What a weird story.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I wonder whether the credits will be changed by Worlds. (Probably too late for the Olympics.)
    Already been changed with no composer credited for now.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00004810.htm
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    That was fast.

vCash
    "He said he finally could not take it anymore when he learned one of his songs would be used by the Olympic skater. [...] 'I could not bear the thought of skater Takahashi being seen by the world as a co-conspirator in our crime.' "

So he went public to save the reputation of Takahashi, eh? It's good he mentioned that, otherwise one could have thought it was the additional media attention that made him come forward just now.

vCash
    I am crushed for Daisuke. This is so unfair for him. His troubles continue. And only "yesterday" they seemed so far away.

vCash
    It's extremely unfair to Takahashi that this is exploding now. It's a distraction that he really doesn't need right now and it's not like he has anything to do with this conspiracy.

vCash
    Everyone who knows the real composer is saying he's most modest, very talented and honest. I guess he just did not know figure skaters cannot switch music within a week.

(Unless you're Morozov, of course.)

vCash
    Poor Daisuke, surely they have to know he can't change his music. Sick sick sick of this composer guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    Everyone who knows the real composer is saying he's most modest, very talented and honest. I guess he just did not know figure skaters cannot switch music within a week.

(Unless you're Morozov, of course.)
    Was he asked to not use it? The linked article didn't say that. That would be crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Was he asked to not use it? The linked article didn't say that.
    No. That was just my guess but if it was one short music in a concert they'd just change it if those reports come out, right?

At the press conference (on the day tabloid was published) the composer said he does not claim copyright. I think he already has given it to the fake composer when he composed it for him.

So it's not about the music nor money nor fame, but about how the fake composer was deceiving people. That's my take.

ETA: Oh the original post did not have the deceiving part. The fake composer was famous as completely deaf, but according to the real composer, he'd listen to demo-tapes and give comments to it, and the real composer never felt his hearing was impaired with their 18 year relationships of co-creating music. And his autobiography was filled with lies, etc.
    Last edited by midori; 02-07-2014 at 02:55 AM.

vCash
    It sounded like it was the real composer who went public. Maybe I read wrong.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    What a bizarre story. I feel sorry for Takahashi if this brou-ha-ha affects his mental preparations for the games, although I would hope he's seasoned enough to take it in his stride?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post
    What a bizarre story. I feel sorry for Takahashi if this brou-ha-ha affects his mental preparations for the games, although I would hope he's seasoned enough to take it in his stride?
    If I remember what he said at the beginning of the season correctly, he had an emotional connection with the music, partly because of the composer and his hardship... which turned out to be made up as a PR ploy.

So this might really throw him off balance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If I remember what he said at the beginning of the season correctly, he had an emotional connection with the music, partly because of the composer and his hardship... which turned out to be made up as a PR ploy.

Oh dear -- I didn't know about that. I hope he doesn't get pestered with a lot of questions about this.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash

^^^ This!

And a big deal was made of this special meaningful music in Japan. There was a well-done TV show about Daisuke and Mr. Samuragochi. The composer wanted to meet Daisuke, and that happened a couple of times. This is in the documentary. Utako Nagamitsu and Dai bowing very deeply to this composer in sign of deep respect. His moving words to Dai. There was footage of Daisuke watching a documentary about Mr. Samuragochi's hard daily life, with tears in his eyes. A big deal was made about this music in Japan. I can hardly think this will not affect Daisuke, somehow.

The weekly newspaper that published the story, Weekly Bunsyun, has been aware of this issue since last December, but chose to come out with this only now to create sensationalism.
    The "fake" composer made an announcement admitting Sonatina and Hiroshima Symphony were not written by him. Then the "real" composer announced a press conference to explain everything. That's what Midori was talking about. Here's a rough translation:

"I heard that Mr.Takahashi will skate to this music at the Olympics and I worried that Japan/Takahashi will be accused from the world to have skated to the false music." "I hope Mr. Takahashi will make a commanding performance with knowledge of the truth."

This is the announcement Dai's management made on his Official Blog:

To those who kindly support Daisuke Takahashi, Thank you always for your giving great supports to him. A press report was given that this season's Takahashi’s Short Program music “Sonatina for Violin” was not a sole work of Mr Mamoru Samuragochi’s. Takahashi himself and all the support staff were not aware of this fact. There will be no change of the short program after this. Now is the very important time right before the Olympic performances, so we would like to do what we have to do sincerely and reach the time of the Game.

The Management of Daisuke Takahashi.
    No © currently for "Sonatina". I guess now he can really make it HIS own and "rewrite" it for our eyes and the "fake" composer's eyes, as choreographer Kenji Miyamoto first intended. I hope he finds the strength to rise above this all and fly.
    Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahshi Road to Sochi

vCash
    I'm not worried so much about the media circus and the 1000 questions Takahashi will be getting about this. He has a lot of experience in this 'industry' and he probably knows how to handle himself.

What I am worried about is that if he really had a strong emotional connection with the music, partly inspired by the composer's story - now revealed to be fake - skating to that music is going to feel really weird now and doubts might creep in. At best he might be 'just going through the motions' as he obviously won't have this emotional investment any more. At worst the mental chaos this creates might seriously affect his focus.

It's absolutely the last thing he needed right before the Olympics but obviously this is why the newspaper decided to break the story now. Maximum drama, maximum media impact.

vCash
    Exactly! It's the spiritual impact this can have on him that worries me.
    Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahshi Road to Sochi

vCash
    What I am worried about is that if he really had a strong emotional connection with the music, partly inspired by the composer's story - now revealed to be fake - skating to that music is going to feel really weird now and doubts might creep in. At best he might be 'just going through the motions' as he obviously won't have this emotional investment any more. At worst the mental chaos this creates might seriously affect his focus.
    Or he can reinterpret this program with sort of sardonic laugh. What has happened to him lately - injury just before Nationals, accident during LP at Nationals, all the drama with selection and now this bizarre story - is just enough.
    This music - no matter who has written it - has "abandon qualities", that's why I love it. When I had some personal drama, I listened to it, got lost in it, laughed bitterly (this was that kind of drama) and then felt better.
    So, if I may advise Daisuke -
    - just abandon yourself in the music, you can find yourself and your problems in it, the world is full of charlatans and dupes, and f... them all! You will survive.
    His ending pose just calls for that kind of attitude.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash

It's absolutely the last thing he needed right before the Olympics but obviously this is why the newspaper decided to break the story now. Maximum drama, maximum media impact.
    I completely agree, it stinks.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.