Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Media comments

vCash

Media comments

Read this online as Skate Milwaukee is on the horizon (not sure if this was posted in Kiss n Cry):

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/figur...266348641.html

"Some of the top figure skaters from the U.S., along with skaters from Argentina, Canada and Croatia, will perform their programs before international judges Wednesday through Sunday at the Kern Center on the Milwaukee School of Engineering campus.

"It really is meant to be a learning, developmental competition," said Gale Tanger, chief referee for the event. "I tell skaters, 'You don't come to Skate Milwaukee to win; you come here to learn.'

"I want to make sure they leave knowing their direction and knowing the rules."

more from the article....

Skate Milwaukee, hosted by the Wisconsin Figure Skating Club, is sanctioned by the U.S. Figure Skating Association but is a non-qualifying event. The purpose of the competition is for skaters to get feedback from judges about their programs.

Among the judges who will attend is Alexander Lakernik of Russia, chair of the singles and pairs committee of the International Skating Union. He sets the rules for international competitions.

Again....From Gale Tanger:
    Ashley Cain of Dallas, fresh off her victory at the Broadmoor Open, also will compete. She will represent the U.S. in at least one Senior Grand Prix event, the Rostelecom Cup in Moscow in November.

"I think Ashley is superb," Tanger said. "She was terribly, terribly sick at nationals last year. She still skated, but if she had not been sick there's no question in my mind she would have been on the Olympic team."

As the representative of USFS, is this an appropriate comment by the individual who is a prominent player in the selection of athletes for the international competitions (including the upcoming SGP or JGP events)? Or, should she be as supportive as possible of all of the athletes, and not make selective comments about specific athletes? hmmmmmmm......

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    "I think Ashley is superb," Tanger said. "She was terribly, terribly sick at nationals last year. She still skated, but if she had not been sick there's no question in my mind she would have been on the Olympic team."
    Ummmmm, WOW!?!?!?!? Tanger believes Wagner would have been bumped for Cain? Very interesting indeed. Let the politicking begin.

vCash
    ^^ But that's not what Tanger is quoted as saying exactly. It's your "Ummmmm, WOW!?!?!?!?" misinterpretation/ embellishment.

vCash
    I think maybe she thought she would have placed top 2-3, not bumped another skater/ Wagner.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Cain has a colt like quality, similar to the teenage Carolina Kostner. She has a lot of attack, too.

vCash

And last year, did you see the hug the president of the USFSA gave Jeremy when she was giving out the awards at the men's podium! KONSPIRACYYYYYYYYYYYY!

vCash
    These may not be the best-worded comments ever made, but I don't see this as evidence of any great plan to push Cain at the expense of other skaters.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    The referee of the event is already politicking for one of the skaters. Figure skating strikes again.

Boycott the ISU

Sochi never forget

vCash
    Hm, well in the short program at Nationals Cain was given full credit for a 3F+3T that probably would have been marked 3F<+3T<< internationally:
    http://youtu.be/oOlpQH8ffEs?t=1m18s
    Last edited by zigzig; 07-17-2014 at 04:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Ummmmm, WOW!?!?!?!? Tanger believes Wagner would have been bumped for Cain? Very interesting indeed. Let the politicking begin.
    I don't think he said that at all???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zigzig View Post
    Hm, well in the short program at Nationals Cain was given full credit for a 3F+3T that probably would have been marked 3F<+3T<< internationally:
    http://youtu.be/oOlpQH8ffEs?t=1m18s
    I doubt that very much if you look at the slow mo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3U2-NjdJZA#t=310 the 3F is totally fine and the 3T is borderline - might get < but definitely not <<.

vCash
    Good thing Hannah Miller wasn't listing to Tanger at Skate Milwaukee!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    It is really amazing how people have no idea what an apt analogy is. Apparently comparing apples to oranges is no longer in the vernacular.

vCash
    On 7/15, Cain was added to Rostelecom Cup per USFS International team assignment page

http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

Rostelecom Cup
    Moscow
    NOV 14-16, 2014
    Cain (added 7/15)
    Lam (wdwl 7/15)
    Nagasu
    Wang
    Aaron
    Brown
    Carriere
    Denney/Frazier
    Kayne/O'Shea
    Leng/Shnapir
    Aldridge/Eaton
    Chock/Bates
    Hawayek/Baker

vCash

Thumbs down

Ashley Cain of Dallas, fresh off her victory at the Broadmoor Open, also will compete. She will represent the U.S. in at least one Senior Grand Prix event, the Rostelecom Cup in Moscow in November.

As the representative of USFS, is this an appropriate comment by the individual who is a prominent player in the selection of athletes for the international competitions (including the upcoming SGP or JGP events)? Or, should she be as supportive as possible of all of the athletes, and not make selective comments about specific athletes? hmmmmmmm......
    Very inappropriate, in my opinion...

but, not surprising at all.

vCash
    And another skater was added on the same day. This is evidence of what, exactly?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Lam's withdrawal was noted on the 10 July 2014 version.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Very inappropriate, in my opinion...

but, not surprising at all.
    Tanger, Cain, Edmunds, Gold and Wagner are all blondes.

Does anyone know Mirai Nagasu's postal address so that I can mail her a bottle of Miss Clairol? STAT.

vCash
    Read this online as Skate Milwaukee is on the horizon (not sure if this was posted in Kiss n Cry):

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/figur...266348641.html

"Some of the top figure skaters from the U.S., along with skaters from Argentina, Canada and Croatia, will perform their programs before international judges Wednesday through Sunday at the Kern Center on the Milwaukee School of Engineering campus.

"It really is meant to be a learning, developmental competition," said Gale Tanger, chief referee for the event. "I tell skaters, 'You don't come to Skate Milwaukee to win; you come here to learn.'

"I want to make sure they leave knowing their direction and knowing the rules."

more from the article....

Skate Milwaukee, hosted by the Wisconsin Figure Skating Club, is sanctioned by the U.S. Figure Skating Association but is a non-qualifying event. The purpose of the competition is for skaters to get feedback from judges about their programs.

Among the judges who will attend is Alexander Lakernik of Russia, chair of the singles and pairs committee of the International Skating Union. He sets the rules for international competitions.

Gail has no role in the selection of Athletes for the Grand Prix Series. She has every right to share her oinions on events or skaters.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    There is an infamous spy themed bar in Milwaukee called The Safe House. I wonder if an old Soviet like Lakernik has ever had the chance to pay it a visit on his seemingly annual trip to Milwaukee.

http://www.safe-house.com/mainmenu.html
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast