Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 302
  1. #101

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32911
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Hmmm I am pretty sure that quite a few months after the Olympics there was an article still going on about how he thinks he should have got the gold that was also discussed here. But maybe I am wrong.
    Well, this one is dated 3/22/2010, only a month - not several months - after the Olympic medal ceremony but I think it still proves your point that Plush was complaining for more than 5 minutes:
    Plushenko heavily criticized the judges for marking him down in the short program, when he was the only skater to land a quadruple jump cleanly, and on Monday he reiterated his belief that Lysacek was not the "real" Olympic champion.

    "Every single person, who understands figure skating and is unbiased, knows who the real champion was," he said on Monday.

    "But life goes on and I'm not going to kill myself for what had happened in Vancouver."
    Last edited by Cheylana; 06-02-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Edited because I put 2011 when I meant to write 2010
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  2. #102

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,221
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    17276
    Yeah, because he's so unbiased about his own skating.

  3. #103

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,958
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7796
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Well, this one is dated 3/22/2011, but I think it still proves your point that Plush was complaining for more than 5 minutes:
    This article is actually dated from March 2010 (not 2011). Please be more accurate before drawing conclusions.

    [/QUOTE] Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:56pm EDT [/QUOTE]

  4. #104

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32911
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    This article is actually dated from March 2010 (not 2011). Please be more accurate before drawing conclusions.
    Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:56pm EDT [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Sorry - I meant to write 2010, not 2011. I will edit my earlier post. But my original point stands. Plush wasn't just bitching in the heat of the moment after the competition; even a month later he was still bitching and moaning.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  5. #105
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,811
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    23556
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Hmmm I am pretty sure that quite a few months after the Olympics there was an article still going on about how he thinks he should have got the gold that was also discussed here. But maybe I am wrong.
    Well there are articles. But a lot of times articles contain recycled quotes. Or the interview happened ages before it was published.

    This is why I give all celebrities a pass when it seems like they are harping on something for longer than I'd like. Now, if clearly fresh articles come out with new quotes by them saying the same thing, that's different.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    201
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Hmmm I am pretty sure that quite a few months after the Olympics there was an article still going on about how he thinks he should have got the gold that was also discussed here. But maybe I am wrong.
    Come on guys let's face it, Plushenko was robbed in the Olympics sp. He should have had 3/4 points more. Lysacek won after skating "the best skate of his life" in fs and he beat Plu by barely 1,3 points when Plushenko skated probably the worst performance in his life. Lysacek was NOT penalized for a wrong edge takeoff in the triple lutz and an under rotated axel while Evgheny was penalized for everything. The idea that Lysacek was technically better is ridiculous. As one journalist wrote "If you can't fly, then crawl prettily". The move Plushenko made to land his skewed axel was something that proved his ability, who else could have possibly landed that jump???
    Next season is going to be much more interesting if he's around!

  7. #107
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking for a pairs team to split up
    Posts
    40,214
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    42549
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Hmmm I am pretty sure that quite a few months after the Olympics there was an article still going on about how he thinks he should have got the gold that was also discussed here. But maybe I am wrong.
    I take it you choose to ignore what Eislauffan posted? It boggles my mind why fans expect competitive athletes to be humble. I guess it's figure skating fans because other sports expect top athletes to trash talk and hone their competitive edge. Frankly, the sport would be more exciting if more athletes did rather then fans faking shock when they are candid. Which is odd, given some of the rather pointed and nasty things said by fans about skaters. Sort of a fake double standard.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

  8. #108

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,274
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30411
    Plushenko heavily criticized the judges for marking him down in the short program, when he was the only skater to land a quadruple jump cleanly, and on Monday he reiterated his belief that Lysacek was not the "real" Olympic champion.

    "Every single person, who understands figure skating and is unbiased, knows who the real champion was," he said on Monday.
    Yes, Lambiel or Takahashi
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  9. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,507
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Plush wasn't just bitching in the heat of the moment after the competition; even a month later he was still bitching and moaning.
    Ridiculous

    It was just a blurb taken by a reporter less then a month after the largest sporting event on earth had just ended. It was a few sentences long hardly a dissertation. Give him a break.

  10. #110

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    My old Kentucky home, far away
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,429
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5515
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan View Post
    Come on guys let's face it, Plushenko was robbed in the Olympics sp. He should have had 3/4 points more.

    I guess in your mind he should have scored 100 in the sp.

  11. #111
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,182
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    Someone made an interesting post on Opera-L today during a discussion of the merits of "Nixon in China"; the Met HD performance was recently broadcast on PBS:

    Mr [A] and Mr [B] don't like Nixon in China, and they certainly
    have a right to their opinions.

    I don't like Cosi Fan Tutte, but I have never said it wasn't a good
    opera just because I don't like it. Mr [A] and Mr [B] think
    they are the only ones who know whether an opera is any good or not.

    They think there is something wrong with anyone who disagrees. I
    consider that stance to be more offensive and/or boring than any opera.
    My not liking almost all of Plushenko's competitive skating doesn't say anything about how good he he is. (As a show/exhibition skater, I think he is one of the greatest.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  12. #112

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,937
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33912
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I take it you choose to ignore what Eislauffan posted? It boggles my mind why fans expect competitive athletes to be humble. I guess it's figure skating fans because other sports expect top athletes to trash talk and hone their competitive edge. Frankly, the sport would be more exciting if more athletes did rather then fans faking shock when they are candid. Which is odd, given some of the rather pointed and nasty things said by fans about skaters. Sort of a fake double standard.
    No I didn't ignore it. I just made a comment that it went on a bit longer than just a few minutes which someone claimed. However I am sure there was an article that was quite a few months after the Olympics that covered the same topic. But I could be wrong.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  13. #113

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,275
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Mishin is even a professor. :-)

    As for Evgeni Plushenko, I've interviewed him repeadetly, the last time this week (Monday, May 30) in St. Petersburg. This interview will be published later in IFS, so I will not post the transcript. But Evgeni said some interesting things.
    - He is content with what he achieved in the 2009/10 season, no way he sees winning the silver at the Olympics as a failure. And he did not complain about judges or judging in the interview.
    - He is optimistic for his reinstatement.
    - He really wants to come back and he is working hard but he knows that he is not 18 anymore.
    - He does have plans for a life after competing. :-)
    Thankyou for this!

    I especially love the part about silver at the Olympics not being a failure. European champion and silver at the Olympics after three years out and only nine months back! Imagine if he'd had twelve months!

    It's good to hear about his future plans too I imagine they involve coaching?

  14. #114

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    at FSU
    Posts
    3,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2790
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I take it you choose to ignore what Eislauffan posted? It boggles my mind why fans expect competitive athletes to be humble. I guess it's figure skating fans because other sports expect top athletes to trash talk and hone their competitive edge. Frankly, the sport would be more exciting if more athletes did rather then fans faking shock when they are candid. Which is odd, given some of the rather pointed and nasty things said by fans about skaters. Sort of a fake double standard.
    I never heard Midori Ito complain when she didn't win when she clearly should have, nor Shen and Zhou. Humble skaters garner respect, those with big mouths attract the haterz. Look how much crap Chan got for opening his mouth about other skaters, Plush deserved the same disrespect. If he can skate clean with his elements and deserve to win that's great but if he bitches and moans about not winning with a bad/average skate... Also, having a few subcurves after landing a jump does not make a transition in my mind. Just my opinion of course.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.


  15. #115
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,507
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    I never heard Midori Ito complain when she didn't win when she clearly should have, nor Shen and Zhou. Humble skaters garner respect, those with big mouths attract the haterz. Look how much crap Chan got for opening his mouth about other skaters, Plush deserved the same disrespect. If he can skate clean with his elements and deserve to win that's great but if he bitches and moans about not winning with a bad/average skate... Also, having a few subcurves after landing a jump does not make a transition in my mind. Just my opinion of course.
    So let me get this straight...

    YOU feel Midori Ito and S/Z had a right to complain about their loss but Plushenko didn't?

    And because YOU didn't personally hear Midori Ito and S/Z complain about their loss, they were fine with it? So they are better than Plushenko?

    I just want to make sure I am understanding....

  16. #116

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,707
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11163
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    YOU feel Midori Ito and S/Z had a right to complain about their loss but Plushenko didn't?

    And because YOU didn't personally hear Midori Ito and S/Z complain about their loss, they were fine with it? So they are better than Plushenko?

    I just want to make sure I am understanding....
    I think Ozzisk8tr's point was clear - that skaters who feel they were robbed but take the result with grace and humility (at least in public) engender more respect others who complain.

    Plushenko's behaviour when he won the silver was the anti-thesis of grace and humility. He was rude and arrogant and it was unbecoming to him. I was a Plush fan back in the day and was thrilled when he came back for the OG. I was rooting for him to trump Lysacek, who I really don't care for, and disappointed when he didn't. Nonetheless, I had to concede that Lysacek won fair and square.

  17. #117

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    at FSU
    Posts
    3,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2790
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    So let me get this straight...

    YOU feel Midori Ito and S/Z had a right to complain about their loss but Plushenko didn't?

    And because YOU didn't personally hear Midori Ito and S/Z complain about their loss, they were fine with it? So they are better than Plushenko?

    I just want to make sure I am understanding....
    No not at all. What I'm saying is "in my opinion" Plush should have kept his mouth shut after not getting the gold, then the haters would not have anything to say. If he had been gracious in defeat he would have a lot more respect than what he has now. I'm definitely not saying anything like he is a bad skater or anything (although I much prefer a complete skater, like Chan), I just wish he had not carried on the way he did after not getting the gold. Plush made the mistake of saying all the negative things to the press. He could bitch and moan all he wants in the privacy of his living room, just don't bag other skaters, or their achievments to the press.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.


  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,507
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I think Ozzisk8tr's point was clear - that skaters who feel they were robbed but take the result with grace and humility (at least in public) engender more respect others who complain.

    Plushenko's behaviour when he won the silver was the anti-thesis of grace and humility. He was rude and arrogant and it was unbecoming to him. I was a Plush fan back in the day and was thrilled when he came back for the OG. I was rooting for him to trump Lysacek, who I really don't care for, and disappointed when he didn't. Nonetheless, I had to concede that Lysacek won fair and square.
    They are athletes, not spokesmodels. I'm sorry you feel some athletes haven't been properly trained to keep their feeling in check after they have trained their whole lives for one monent that may have not worked out the way they have pictured it. He did act like a kind of a baby when Evan won, he didn't accept his medal, he thew it down on the ground, he cried during the national anthem and left before it was over....very disrepectful!

  19. #119

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,284
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    3 Olympic champions in a row had done quads so who would have given the attention to the fact that the current one didn't even try one and got as much attention? Stojko with his "night they killed figure skating" article? Doubtful. It was very important to point out the regression of mens skating. No triple axel triple toes because they were replaced by quads and then no quads or triple axel triple toes? Triple Lutz/triple toes and triple axel double toes? That was the new standard for jumps in mens in 2010? It will always have been right for him to speak out. And really brave to.

  20. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Havering-atte-Bower
    Posts
    3,483
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    In an interview shortly after the Olympics, Plushenko claimed that the results were "stamped in advance," i.e., pre-determined or fixed.

    http://www.gzt.ru/topnews/sport/-evg...v-/291103.html

    Valentin Piseyev had similarly disturbing things to say at the time, namely:

    • After the IOC President, Jacques Rogge, made a speech that included negative comments about the Plushenko's marks for Skating Skills and Transitions at the 2006 Olympics, Piseyev "called Cinquanta and insisted that this DVD should not see the light of day."


    • In Vancouver, "after the short program, where three judges gave him [Plushenko] 5.00, 5.00 and 6.00 for transitions, I again contacted Cinquanta and asked what kind of mess this was."


    • Cinquanta "promised to investigate and clean up."


    http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-ite...hjyfd2OcMnFhVP



    Does anyone know what Cinquanta's side of the story is?

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •