Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    He can apply but it's unlikely he'll get it. Which, IMO, is why I think he hasn't applied and why we are getting all these news articles about it. People are playing politics in the public arena trying to soften up the ISU.

But continue to beat your head against the wall because someone disagrees with you.

Cinquantta has already said he'll get it! I think you're just taking your Plushenko-hate to the point beyond denial.

And he HAS applied, which you would know if you bothered to read the article properly. He's applied to the RFSF who will apply on his behalf to the ISU at their next meeting. Cinquantta has made it clear that the ISU will not counter it. Plushenko will be reinstated and skate next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Why? What´s the point to give a skater the opportunity to apply but to deny him the reinstatement? Cinquanta encourged him personally to send the request to his Federation and to ISU.
    Since you suggest that ISU will reject the request, maybe you can also tell us the reasons, because the rules don´t specify them.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    You're not a competitor if you don't think that way. Otherwise, why enter the competition. There are skaters who skate and there are skaters who compete to win. He's a competitor. Enough of one he came from being way out of shape in little over a year to winning a second silver medal at the Olympics and very nearly another gold. I'm not a particular fan of his skating, but I admire that spirit and would cheer if won gold in Sochi.
    +10000 for everything in this post! (Except the "not a particular fan of his skating" but each to their own! )

Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    I don't mind his being reinstated in this case. It's not like he had taken illegal substances, or even participated in a professional competition. Actually I think in some ways he does the sport good. Men's jump content was going downhill and his participation in the Olympics pushed them to work more on their quads and 4+3's IMO. Maybe this had an effect on this year's much higher jump content.
    THIS, exactly!

vCash
    Originally Posted by Wyliefan
    Maybe I'm being unfair -- okay, more than likely I'm being unfair -- but sometimes I get the impression that he thinks no one but himself should ever win Olympic gold.
    no,I think it's his fans.

vCash
    ^really?
    I think it is just you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Why? What´s the point to give a skater the opportunity to apply but to deny him the reinstatement? Cinquanta encourged him personally to send the request to his Federation and to ISU.
    Since you suggest that ISU will reject the request, maybe you can also tell us the reasons, because the rules don´t specify them.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Yep. This thread alone is worth it, regardless of whether Plushenko gets reinstated. I hope he does, though. If was misskarne said is correct, his ban was ridiculous in the first place. I would've loved to see this go to the CAS, but I recognize the reason it didn't.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I may have missed something here because I didn't read all the pages, but why would someone be banned from competition because they skate in an unsanctioned event? I know it has been done this way for years, but what is the purpose? I'm not a Plushy fan but I think he should be allowed to compete if he wants to. Like Asli said, it's not like he took drugs.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I know it has been done this way for years, but what is the purpose?
    The same purpose that it has always been, so the ISU can have a monopoly on Olympic Eligibile Skaters and the Olympic dream, in the past as amateurs supported by their parents or the state and in the present as professionals under contact to which they can only be released on loan in order to maintain their eligibility.

. . . It kind of reminds me of actors being in contract with studios during the old studio system.

. . . At least now talented skaters can develop with hopes that their development will pay for the cost of development rather than being shut out if one is not wealthy.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 06-01-2011 at 03:58 PM.

vCash
    I'm not sure why anyone cares if he skates or not. So he doesn't win another gold medal (highly unlikely) and always finishes behind Chan., so what; does than mean every skater who can't beat Chan or win gold shouldn't be allowed to try? Chan and others are beatable, Skate Canada aside. Plushchenko can beat most men in the world and if you don't want to watch him skate, take a fridge break while he is on.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    ^ This is Plushy's dilema. He has a reputation and self-image that he needs to protect. All other skaters in the competition accept that they might or might not win and all they can do is there best even if they do not win.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 06-01-2011 at 05:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    ^ This is Plushy's dilema. He has a reputation and self-image that he needs to protect. All other skaters in the competition accept that they might or might not win and all they can do is there best even if they do not win.
    then why does he insist in competition? he can maintain the reputation and self-image if he quit last year or now, after watching Chan's performance in Moscow.
    Euro Gold and Olympic Silver is a decent ending and the ban from ISU is a good excuse.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Chan and others are beatable, Skate Canada aside.
    GMAFB. In case you haven't noticed, it's quite common for non-Canadian skaters to win medals at Skate Canada. Enough with this "ooh, Skate Canada is the most biased competition ever" crap.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luCN View Post
    well,I don't think he comes back mainly for winning...

I've many guesses,one of them is like Yagudin said
    "As for Evgeni, I just think he didn’t find himself in this different world. He knows how to do figure skating. And he knows it really-really well. But he doesn’t know who he is besides figure skating. "
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/index...1alexeiyagudin
    This would be a bit sad if it is true. I understand a lot of athletes who have trained for years and years at just their sport have a hard time adapting, but eventually they are going to have to enter the "real" world eventually. In such a demanding physical sport like figure skating, one hopes the athlete doesn't completely ruin their body before that happens.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone cares if he skates or not. So he doesn't win another gold medal (highly unlikely) and always finishes behind Chan., so what; does than mean every skater who can't beat Chan or win gold shouldn't be allowed to try? Chan and others are beatable, Skate Canada aside. Plushchenko can beat most men in the world and if you don't want to watch him skate, take a fridge break while he is on.
    I agree with this (though if Plush is reinstated I will probably need to grease the hinges of my own refrigerator at some point )
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    C'mon, it's not like Chan were the worst skater in the world and it'a a shame to finish behind him!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    GMAFB. In case you haven't noticed, it's quite common for non-Canadian skaters to win medals at Skate Canada.
    I'm sure you have mis-interpreted my post , what I meant was, it was laughable for Chan to win Skate Canada in 2010 but he did (for what ever reason the judges had.) It has nothing to do with him personally or him being Canadian it was about the judging. If Plushenko won there I wouldn't think twice about it and I would not be surprised if he didn't. If Chan won everything for the next 5 years I wouldn't be surprised either, but even the 2011 World Mens Champion can be beat.

That was the propose of my post, Plushenko should have the right to try.

Enough with this "ooh, Skate Canada is the most biased competition ever" crap
    Don't be so touchy with Skate Canada, the judging at last year the mens competition was a joke, hopefully it won't happen this year.

vCash
    Actually didn't Tood Eldridge face the same thing a few years back? IIRC, he had to either skate the shows and lose his eligibility or not to the shows. He wasn't happy; I think that is when he retired.

IMO, if the ISU lets Plushenko skate in the Olympics, it's a slap in the face to all the other skaters that went through proper channels to get permission to skate in various non-sanctioned events. IMO, he's won gold twice, he has nothing left to prove. I understand he wants to skate at his home Olympics but he should have verified that all would be good and when things weren't, then, he should have backed out. Since shows are announced quite a bit in advance, there should have been quite a bit of time for him to arrange everything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    Actually didn't Tood Eldridge face the same thing a few years back? IIRC, he had to either skate the shows and lose his eligibility or not to the shows. He wasn't happy; I think that is when he retired.

IMO, if the ISU lets Plushenko skate in the Olympics, it's a slap in the face to all the other skaters that went through proper channels to get permission to skate in various non-sanctioned events. IMO, he's won gold twice, he has nothing left to prove. I understand he wants to skate at his home Olympics but he should have verified that all would be good and when things weren't, then, he should have backed out. Since shows are announced quite a bit in advance, there should have been quite a bit of time for him to arrange everything.
    the other skaters won't be slapped because they can do the same thing under the same situation: lose their eligibility and apply to regain it.

when did plushy win gold twice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reflect View Post
    the other skaters won't be slapped because they can do the same thing under the same situation: lose their eligibility and apply to regain it.

when did plushy win gold twice
    I think it was just before he woke up one morning.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I'm all for Plushy coming back ...
    and getting HIS ass handed to him by the young guns

Really though, as hard as he may work I have difficulty seeing him being able to compete for even a spot on the podium in Sochi. There are so many good young skaters who can do it all and they will be competing while in their prime by the time we get to Sochi. Evgeni, OTOH, will be that much older and have to cope with it all. I don't doubt that he can keep up mentally but physically, I just don't know. That being said, I hope that once he does begin to compete, that the judges actually mark him based upon his skating and not on reputation - much like the signals it seemed he received before going to Vancouver.

Regardless, I wish him well - in his training, his competitions and his family like. He's earned it.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luCN View Post
    well,I don't think he comes back mainly for winning...

I've many guesses,one of them is like Yagudin said
    "As for Evgeni, I just think he didn’t find himself in this different world. He knows how to do figure skating. And he knows it really-really well. But he doesn’t know who he is besides figure skating. "
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/index...1alexeiyagudin
    How many of us really know ourselves outside our small spheres? Why should Plush or anyone else be any different?

vCash
    So has Plush said that if he is reinstated he will return to competition next season?

It's a long way to go till Sochi and training until then will be a lot of wear and tear for him. He was crushed not to win the OGM and I can't imagine him happily continuing without dominating the field.

If he's aiming for the OGM in Sochi, it would make more sense to come back just for the 2013/2014 season.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast