Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I personally can't wait for him to come back, even if he never medals again (though I doubt that will happen.) The man loves skating, he loves competing, and he is great at what he does. Whether you like his style or not, you've got to admire his drive.

vCash
    The men skating got exciting. At least someone who can seriously fight with Chan. I loved his new programs posted earlier here. He seems to be in very good shape. So bring it.

vCash
    Hurry up, ISU!!!!!!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
    I personally can't wait for him to come back, even if he never medals again (though I doubt that will happen.) The man loves skating, he loves competing, and he is great at what he does. Whether you like his style or not, you've got to admire his drive.
    Well, what is there to work for when you have a platinum Olympic medal

Not even Rodnina, somebody that actually won 3 Olympics, has one of those
    Last edited by bardtoob; 05-31-2011 at 11:24 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Well, what is there to work for when you have a platinum Olympic medal

Not even Rodnina, somebody that actually won 3 Olympics, has one of those
    A diamond Olympic medal????? Eat your heart out, Irina Rodnina!!!!

vCash
    Old news re-re-re-recycled.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Afterall isn't the possibility of Plushy competing again a punishment for us all?
    Nope

vCash
    I second the motion! He's certainly not technically inferior to Chan and is also more consistent whereas it seems to me that Chan has lots of ups and downs as far as falling etc. Age is against him but....what can it possiblly take for Plushenko to throw in the required transitions and difficult entrance/exits to jumps where he is already king??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Breaking the rules results in loss of eligibility from ISU competitions such as the Olympics, Worlds etc. It's not a temporary ban, it is forever and at this stage in the game, I think most/all skaters know it. If Joannie Rochette had the know how to ask for permission to perform a tribute to her mother on an ice show in 2010, then I don't think it's a stretch to expect Plushenko to do the same.

Why didn't he appeal the decision when it was made? He had 21 days to appeal and apparently didn't have a problem with it then. Strange.
    Yes, I agree that breaking the rules result in loss of eligibility from ISU competitions such as the Olympics, Worlds etc. However, there have been skaters in the past who retired and did shows, lost eligibility and then decided to go back to competitive skating and got their eligibility reinstated. So if it was possible for them, why it is not for him?

Why he didn't appeal the decision when it was made - what would be the grounds for the appeal? By appealing he would be actually saying that he is being punished unfairly, whereas I think he knows he is being punished fairly, so in my view he took the punishment, hoping that he will be later to reinstate the eligibility as some others have done in the past.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I remember watching Rudolph Nureyev dance over the years. He refused to quit when he was on top, and he just kept taking the stage long after his physical facility had left him.

No doubt Plushy is in good shape right now, but I do hope, for his sake as a great skater, that he will recognize when it is time to retire. If he's going to try to make it to Sochi-and maybe he can-good for him. But there's nothing sadder than watching a once-great talent implode in public.

Here's hoping it won't happen to him. But if he keeps trying to extend his career on and on and on, it will happen eventually.

Not being negative. Just realistic.

vCash
    ^^^
    Holley,

vCash
    [QUOTE=Aussie Willy;3196822]Maybe this is the Rapture - just a little bit late. Afterall isn't the possibility of Plushy competing again a punishment for us all?[/QUOTE]

Nah, it's a reward for those of us who have good taste!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    IWhether you like his style or not, you've got to admire his drive.
    No, you don't.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Maybe I'm being unfair -- okay, more than likely I'm being unfair -- but sometimes I get the impression that he thinks no one but himself should ever win Olympic gold.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan View Post
    I second the motion! He's certainly not technically inferior to Chan and is also more consistent whereas it seems to me that Chan has lots of ups and downs as far as falling etc. Age is against him but....what can it possiblly take for Plushenko to throw in the required transitions and difficult entrance/exits to jumps where he is already king??
    LOL he was beaten in technical marks by LYSACEK in Vancouver. Of course he is technically inferior to Chan at this point his career, Chan is doing quads and triples much better than the ones Plushenko was doing in Vancouver, and his spins and footwork are at a whole other level at this point. And who cares about consistency since Chan could afford atleast 4 falls and still be able to beat Plushenko if Plushenko is at his Vancouver level (which he will probably be worse than as he continues to age on an already injured and battered body). Kozuka skating as he did in the Worlds LP would blow away Plushenko from Vancouver in atleast the LP phase as well. And for the record I dont even like Chan and do like Plushenko but he would be dumb to come back if the main reason he is coming back is to win. If he is coming back for other reasons then it isnt so bad, but somehow I doubt that given his reactions to not winning in Vancouver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I love the of that picture of him sitting all alone, contemplating...

Smoldering.
    Brooding.
    Sex on a stick.

vCash
    Now we know why those old Plushy banners were hanging at the Megasport Palace last month!

Related to this...

Actually, I even spotted some banners for Yags, Irina and other long-retireds. Is it a Russian thing to hang banners for long-retired skaters at ISU competitions? Next year, somebody please remind me to take my "Sonja Henie #1" banner to ISU events!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    And who cares about consistency since Chan could afford atleast 4 falls and still be able to beat Plushenko if Plushenko is at his Vancouver level

<if this is true then something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark (GOE)!!!

but he would be dumb to come back if the main reason he is coming back is to win. If he is coming back for other reasons then it isnt so bad, but somehow I doubt that given his reactions to not winning in Vancouver.

What on earth would a competitive skater like Plushenko come back for if not to win???

I truly can't believe that he was beaten on technical marks by Lysacek...but then, the bias of judges is infinite....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan View Post
    He is absolutely no match for Chan in the skating skills and transitions department. Not many skaters are.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    While the rules talk about reinstatement, that clause is in there for people to come back as judges and officials. There were several periods where former eligible skaters were allowed to apply for reinstatement to get their eligibility back to skate but those windows are now closed. I don't believe Plushenko has an option to apply for reinstatement at this point unless he wants to become a technical controller or something (which would be awesome in it's own way).
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast