Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    How unexpected
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash

YEAH!
    vCash
    I love the of that picture of him sitting all alone, contemplating...

moving right along
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    PML. Another episode for Plush. Timing couldn't be better. We have the entire off season to and about it.

vCash
    As I see it, personal feelings aside, he broke the rules and paid for it. How long should he be punished? Is the punishment really proportinate to what he did?

Quadless
    vCash
    Do I see a single tear rolling down his cheek?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    You don't say! Shocking.

"Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

on the rink doing synchronized spirals with Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Shawn Sawyer, Alissa Czisny, Rohene Ward, Yukina Ota, Caroline Zhang & Mirai Nagasu
    vCash
    is there a puking icon? LOL

I post the ones that I know go with this article

vCash
    I thought this was old news already since Worlds, didn't Speedy said that ISU would accept to discuss the RF application for reinstatement?

vCash
    June 9th! The video of Cinquanta sitting with Putin pointing to Plushenko and giving up a thumbs up at worlds was great.

vCash

I know, it's unintentionally

And in other not so shocking news......the sky is blue.

vCash
    Maybe this is the Rapture - just a little bit late. Afterall isn't the possibility of Plushy competing again a punishment for us all?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    As I see it, personal feelings aside, he broke the rules and paid for it. How long should he be punished? Is the punishment really proportinate to what he did?
    Actually, I think his losing of his eligibility was kind of bogus.

The way I understand it, he did a show that normally would be sanctioned and apparently he was even told it was or would be sanctioned at first but then was told close to the show that, no, because he didn't go to Worlds, it wouldn't be sanctioned. Then he had to decide whether to pull out at the last minute or risk losing his eligibility. Pulling out at the last minute when he'd been advertised to sell tickets would have been hard on the show organizers so he was kind of between a rock and a hard place with this one.

I can't help feeling that other skaters would have been given the sanction and that colors my feelings about how it all went down.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Breaking the rules results in loss of eligibility from ISU competitions such as the Olympics, Worlds etc. It's not a temporary ban, it is forever and at this stage in the game, I think most/all skaters know it. If Joannie Rochette had the know how to ask for permission to perform a tribute to her mother on an ice show in 2010, then I don't think it's a stretch to expect Plushenko to do the same.

Why didn't he appeal the decision when it was made? He had 21 days to appeal and apparently didn't have a problem with it then. Strange.

vCash
    It was just a tactical thing of not bringing the ISU to the Court of Arbitration.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    He wasn't punished. He just had more time to make money with no pressure. The reality is that Plushy probably sees no value in performing at another Skate Canada or Skate American or Trophy Whatever the French Call It This Decade, etc. but it would do him some good to skate at Cup of Russian, Worlds, and in Sochi ... particularly since the Russian Federation is trying so hard to reabsorb talent by any means $$$ (the sign for Rubles would have been more fitting) possible.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 05-31-2011 at 02:38 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    the sign for Rubles would have been more fitting
    Take your pick: http://www.artlebedev.com/mandership/116/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Actually, I think his losing of his eligibility was kind of bogus.

The way I understand it, he did a show that normally would be sanctioned and apparently he was even told it was or would be sanctioned at first but then was told close to the show that, no, because he didn't go to Worlds, it wouldn't be sanctioned. Then he had to decide whether to pull out at the last minute or risk losing his eligibility. Pulling out at the last minute when he'd been advertised to sell tickets would have been hard on the show organizers so he was kind of between a rock and a hard place with this one.

I can't help feeling that other skaters would have been given the sanction and that colors my feelings about how it all went down.
    He'd already been sued by show organisers when the ISU did the same thing to him a couple of years ago - they told him at the last minute that if he skated he'd lose his eligibility, so he pulled out, went on ice to explain himself and got booed. The organisers sued him and it took ages to sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Breaking the rules results in loss of eligibility from ISU competitions such as the Olympics, Worlds etc. It's not a temporary ban, it is forever and at this stage in the game, I think most/all skaters know it. If Joannie Rochette had the know how to ask for permission to perform a tribute to her mother on an ice show in 2010, then I don't think it's a stretch to expect Plushenko to do the same.

Why didn't he appeal the decision when it was made? He had 21 days to appeal and apparently didn't have a problem with it then. Strange.
    I can't believe this stupid misinformation is still getting around.

The ISU has the power to impose a temporary loss of eligibility on a skater for breaking a rule. This is what they did to Plushenko. HIS LOSS OF ELIGIBILITY WAS NEVER PERMANENT. THE ISU DID NOT BAN HIM FOR LIFE.

I mean think about it - it would ridiculously unjust if they banned him for life, which is way longer than a drugs ban.

Plushenko DID ask for permission. The RFSF told him they would give it. Then three days out from the show everyone said no. What was he supposed to do? He chose to protect himself from lawsuits and heavy financial loss, make his fans happy and skate. Three days' notice is vastly unfair.

He did not appeal because the appeal would have had to have taken place in the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). The CAS has power over every jurisdiction in the world. A decision made at the CAS is FINAL with NO appeal.

Now imagine if Plushenko had taken the ISU to the CAS and won. He would essentially have been forcing the ISU to accept him as a competitor for the season. I can't imagine the ISU would have taken that lying down. They have many ways to get revenge.

Plushenko decided not to antagonise the ISU further than they already were, and decided not to appeal. This was an intelligent decision as it allowed the ISU to think they were punishing him, but left him able to still compete at Sochi.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Breaking the rules results in loss of eligibility from ISU competitions such as the Olympics, Worlds etc. It's not a temporary ban, it is forever and at this stage in the game, I think most/all skaters know it.
    For the rule he broke, it is not a temporary ban if the skater never asks for reinstatement or asks and is denied reinstatement. It is a temporary ban until the ISU grants reinstatement, if the skater applies for it.

The possibility for reinstatement for Plushenko's infraction is written into the rule itself. He's asking for nothing more than what is written into the rule.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast