Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

National Spelling Bee - May 31st - June 2nd

I know I'm early with this thread, but I do enjoy the National Spelling Bee. This year the TV coverage has been changed again. No ABC prime time show. Both TV shows will be on ESPN on Thursday, June 2nd. ESPN3.com plans to stream the preliminary rounds on Wednesday, June 1st as well as the finals on Thursday. The written test test is on Tuesday, May 31st and even I don't need to see coverage of that part - although I wouldn't mind seeing a fluff piece about it. The ESPN3 schedule is here - http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/kids

Does anyone have any favorites? The list of competitors is here - http://public.spellingbee.com/public...speller_roster

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Wow, I was just joking with my family during a game of Balderdash tonight about how the spelling bee wasn't going on right now so we didn't need to spell things right. How funny that the bee is coming up this very week! I have to call them now and let them know, LOL

This is always fun to watch. If I can remember this week I'll have to check it out again.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Bummer for those of us outside the US who don't get ESPN. At least we got to see the final on ABC.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Bummer for those of us outside the US who don't get ESPN. At least we got to see the final on ABC.
    You might want to try ESPN3 (the first link in the original post). Since there are several competitors from Canada, Jamaica etc., there's a chance the stream won't be geoblocked.

vCash
    Could you use that in a sentence? I like watching it also, but my patience gives out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nursebetty View Post
    Could you use that in a sentence? I like watching it also, but my patience gives out.
    I used to get really frustrated; especially with the Jamaican spellers. I think they were trained to take as much time as they could and they all have the same style. Now, with the time limit, it's not nearly so bad.

vCash
    On now. No commentary. Interesting how they don't wear those T-shirts anymore. It will keep me company today while I work.

Love the girl with mis-matched, decorative socks/shoes. I'm assuming it's her fashion statement.

vCash
    Photos are up - http://ph.news.yahoo.com/photos/84th...210630485.html

The 8-year-old from Virginia is very cute. The kid from New York (Miles) is a hoot but he talks to his friend all through the other skaters (oops, I mean spellers). I wonder if it bothers any of them. Probably not. The spellers from my state did well, except for one.

vCash
    Final is on!

vCash

Love the bee!
    This could go on for a while! No one has missed yet!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tlk View Post

Love the bee!
    This could go on for a while! No one has missed yet!
    This morning's session went 1 hr. 40 min. over the scheduled time. Of course, these days the broadcast is filled with fluff. I wanted to see spelling. It's as bad of some of the skating cheese fests.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Love to bee too, and l
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Love the bee too, and l LOVE that it's on national tv!!

vCash
    ESPN isn't working for me I'm sad I missed it.

vCash
    It's not over yet; still 10 spellers remaining.

That Victoria girl is intense.

vCash
    OMG, Victoria looked like she was going to throw up or faint!!! DH and I were in a favorite restaurant and they had the bee on. That poor child looks miserable!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Tell me about it. I heard that her family moved recently so she could be in a region that has qualifying comps to Scripps because her previous region stopped participating. I smell a bit of a stage parent. No wonder the poor kid is so serious.

ETA: Oh my goodness. She just misspelled and her mom looked daggers. Didn't hug or congrat her daughter at all; Victoria had to console HER. Poor thing looked almost relieved. Poor kid!

vCash
    This is so impressive! These kids are great.

vCash
    Tell me about it. All the kids are amazing, but I'm rooting for the girls...Laura because she's funny, Joanna because she seems like such a gracious and mature young lady, and Sukanya because she reminds me of a friend of mine. :p

Go kids!

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Tell me about it. I heard that her family moved recently so she could be in a region that has qualifying comps to Scripps because her previous region stopped participating. I smell a bit of a stage parent. No wonder the poor kid is so serious.

ETA: Oh my goodness. She just misspelled and her mom looked daggers. Didn't hug or congrat her daughter at all; Victoria had to console HER. Poor thing looked almost relieved. Poor kid!
    I know. That was hideous. Mommy is a stage parent for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast