Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    My pick for an underrated actor is Jim Carrey. I wish he'd be given (or choose) more serious roles, because Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and The Truman Show are two of my favourite movies.
    I totally agree. He is very talented. He seems to be able to pull off any role, and do it well.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    I always thought that Eric Roberts is underrated and is 10 times the actress his sister is. (I think Julia Roberts is an overrated actress. She seems to act the same in every movie.) Haven't seen him in anything lately, so I'm not sure if he is still out there acting.
    Agree - always been a fan of his. And, he's got to be one of the hardest working actors in Hollywood - massive list of credits, and about a dozen projects in the pipeline: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000616/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Agree - always been a fan of his. And, he's got to be one of the hardest working actors in Hollywood - massive list of credits, and about a dozen projects in the pipeline: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000616/
    Wow, that's quite a long list. Glad to see he's still out there acting.

vCash
    ^^ I remember seeing Eric Roberts in Star 80, years ago. I thought he was amazing. When Julia came on the scene, I thought of her as Eric's sister, not the other way around .

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Count me as another who is not a Julia Roberts fan. I find her shallow and brittle. There are so many other actresses with far more beauty and gifts. I just never got why she was such a big deal. I did like her in Steel Magnolias, though. But the older she gets, the harder she seems. I see she might play the wicked witch in a new version of Snow White or Sleeping Beauty or something.....good casting!

vCash
    Count me as another who prefers Eric Roberts to Julia - and always has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Thought of another actress I feel is underrated--Samantha Morton. I've loved her in just about everything I've seen, especially In America. And the actor who played her husband was wonderful as well.
    She fit my mental image of Harriet Smith far better than Toni Collette did (nothing against Ms. Collette, she's wonderful, but not as Harriet Smith)>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Count me as another who is not a Julia Roberts fan. I find her shallow and brittle. There are so many other actresses with far more beauty and gifts. I just never got why she was such a big deal. I did like her in Steel Magnolias, though. But the older she gets, the harder she seems. I see she might play the wicked witch in a new version of Snow White or Sleeping Beauty or something.....good casting!
    I agree with you about the acting. But, and I'm not sure that this is what you meant, I get the impression (wicked witch) you think she is not a nice person. Everything I've read about her points to her being a very nice lady and a wonderful mother.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    ITA about Jim Carrey, Julia Roberts (way overrated) and Toni Colette being inappropriate for Harriet Smith.

Holley, you are so right--the older Julia gets, the more set in her acting ways she gets. She acts the same character over and over again. Meh.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I see names on some of these posts that are head scratchers. Stanley Tucci? Kevin Bacon? Angela Bassett? Helena Bonham Carter? They've all had wonderful roles over the years and have name recognition. Not so much name recognition that they are considered paparrazzi-chasing stars. And thank goodness for that.

It makes me wonder what some of you considered underrated. The fact that they are not cast in more films than they have been? A lack of awards? So many of the actors that are listed here, even the ones that aren't household names, work pretty steadily. That tells me that they are not at all underrated.

Let's also consider the leading man/woman vs. character actor argument. Often the attention falls on those that get the leading roles. But ask many actors, and they'll tell you how much they love playing the supporting characters. Not all actors are hoping for a mainstream role that will allow them to become household names. I would wager there are many actors who have been named on this thread that would be shocked to learn that they are considered underrated given the breadth of their work.

vCash
    Well thinking about character actors: Earlier in the thread Gary Oldman was mentioned and I now think of him as a character actor: He is often not the lead and unrecognizable from film to film and I never understood how he was overlooked for an Oscar nomination for "The Contender." He nailed the partisan/hypocritcal Congress member.

As for actress: I love Christine Baranski whether she's singing/dancing or playing a law partner or anything else for that matter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    As for actress: I love Christine Baranski whether she's singing/dancing or playing a law partner or anything else for that matter.
    She plays the exact same character in every film and tv role that I've seen her in: the smart alecky, somewhat snooty sidekick that talks as if there's a 10 foot pole up her *ss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    I see names on some of these posts that are head scratchers. Stanley Tucci? Kevin Bacon? Angela Bassett? Helena Bonham Carter? They've all had wonderful roles over the years and have name recognition. Not so much name recognition that they are considered paparrazzi-chasing stars. And thank goodness for that.

It makes me wonder what some of you considered underrated. The fact that they are not cast in more films than they have been? A lack of awards? So many of the actors that are listed here, even the ones that aren't household names, work pretty steadily. That tells me that they are not at all underrated.
    Seriously. Leonardo DiCaprio and Johnny Depp are underrated? To me, they're two of the most overrated actors in recent memory. I think someone like Tim Curry is underrated- recognizable name, quite talented and well known on the theatrical stage, but underutilized in film with nothing of note in recent years.

vCash
    Mary Stuart Masterson. I always thought she'd be a major contender, but she's never really been an A list performer. She's certainly done some great performances tho......Fried Green Tomatoes for instance.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Well, cruisin', I hate to disagree but...it was pretty well written about when she married her now-husband....he was a cameraman on her movies. His then-wife was 7 months pregnant with their 2nd child when he left her for Julia. Julia then had tee-shirts made that proclaimed "A Low Vera." Vera was his wife's name. Google it. You'll find plenty of references.

I say, sometimes you can't help falling in love, but if your love is still married to a woman-even if he doesn't love her any more-who is 7 months pregnant, for God's sake wait until the baby's born and then untangle the mess. I have absolutely no respect for this person. Heck-these people. Well, he certainly gained a wonderful meal ticket. That Julia is a great mom-I have no doubt. At least to her own.

All of this was very well documented. I remember it well-not just tabloids from one source.

My motto: if the man is married-stay the f*** away.
    Last edited by Holley Calmes; 05-31-2011 at 04:22 AM.

vCash
    Julia Roberts.

vCash
    Underrated actors:

Chris Cooper
    David Strathairn

vCash
    Lee Pace
    Nathan Corddry
    Tom Cavanagh
    Bradley Whitford
    Joshua Malina
    Paul Gross
    Sarah Paulson
    Anna Friel
    Miranda Otto
    Sarah Polley
    Allison Janney (who seems to get acclaim for every role she does play, but aside from her standout role as CJ Cregg in The West Wing, always seems to play small niche roles in movies)

vCash
    Amiee Garcia from The George Lopez Show and TRAUMA!!!

vCash
    Stellan Skarsgard - he's one of 'those guys' that's in a lot of things but you never really know who he is. He's things like 'the dad in Mamma Mia who's not Pierce Brosnan or Colin Firth', or 'that guy in that artsy film.' But he's really quite awesome!

Another actor that I thought was seriously underrated until recently was Christian Bale. Even with his Batman movies, he didn't get an insane amount of buzz. I found it insane to believe that The Fighter was his first ever Oscar nomination, because he is seriously a brilliant actor, and I've adored him since he sung and danced his way into my heart in Newsies.

Kristin Bell - she's gotten kind of stuck doing terrible romantic comedies, but anyone who ever watched Veronica Mars knows that she's got the chops to do a hell of a lot more (and seriously, how did she never get an Emmy nomination for that role?)

I also find there are a lot of actors who are more noted for their personal lives, which overshadows their talent.

For example, I adore Alexander Skarsgard. He's become a tabloid favourite because of True Blood, and his relationship with Kate Bosworth (despite the fact that he tries to keep it insanely low key). But people pigenhole him as the 'hot Swedish vampire'. Looking at the work he's done though, he's played everything from an idiot male model in Zoolander, to a Nazi, a US marine, a homosexual Norwegian Olympian/Arctic trekker, and even suicidal transvestite! He's already getting rave reviews for his role in the upcoming Straw Dogs remake. I hope it will let him start to be known as more than the hunky Swedish vampire who's dating the skinny blonde who nobody can really remember why she's famous.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast